• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The first world event I remember hearing adults talk about was the nuclear fallout in Chernobyl shortly before my 6th birthday. I remember my parents talking with some friends about what foods were still save to eat and what might be contaminated. No mushrooms. Only wildlife that had been hunted before April 26th, etc.

This morning at breakfast I had to explain to my 7 year old that Russia has just invaded Ukraine. This will probably be her first memory of world politics.

A bit ironic that both events involve Ukraine.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The first world event I remember hearing adults talk about was the nuclear fallout in Chernobyl shortly before my 6th birthday. I remember my parents talking with some friends about what foods were still save to eat and what might be contaminated. No mushrooms. Only wildlife that had been hunted before April 26th, etc.

This morning at breakfast I had to explain to my 7 year old that Russia has just invaded Ukraine. This will probably be her first memory of world politics.

A bit ironic that both events involve Ukraine.
I remember either the first Gulf War or the breakup of the U.S.S.R. I think the first Gulf War was actually came first.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
for me, the standoff in Nicaragua in '89 was the first international conflict which I remember clearly. I remember a big deal being made about the takedown of the Berlin Wall as well.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Britons living in EU can’t keep pre-Brexit rights, European court advised

LOL

Bouilliez had based her case on the loss of her voting rights in local and European elections, arguing that EU citizenship was a fundamental status that should not be withdrawn without consent when there were serious consequences for people’s rights.
But the withdrawal agreement did not secure several rights that British nationals enjoyed as EU citizens, including the right to vote and stand in local and European elections and the right to live and work outside their EU country of residence.

Sorry, I understand the plaintiff is in a difficult position and didn't vote for Brexit herself. But this sounds so incredibly entitled (and thus somewhat reflective of the entire British position during Brexit negociations) and can basically be summarized as "Just because I left the club shouldn't mean I no longer enjoy the priviledges of club membership!"

Collins argued in his opinion that EU citizenship was additional to, and did not replace, nationality conferred by member states, that British nationals ceased to be EU citizens after Brexit, and that the loss of citizenship rights was “one of the consequences of the sovereign decision of the UK to withdraw from the EU”.

Well, d'uh

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember either the first Gulf War or the breakup of the U.S.S.R. I think the first Gulf War was actually came first.
The Berlin wall was 1989.... I remember running through the college dorm halls kinda blown away it was happening. I think the Gulf War was 1991, I was definitely working at that point.

The first thing related to foreign politics i remember was the Iran hostages, and them being released right after Reagan took office. I was probably 12. I also remember the gas shortages in the 70s, only being able to get gas on certain days.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Berlin wall was 1989.... I remember running through the college dorm halls kinda blown away it was happening. I think the Gulf War was 1991, I was definitely working at that point.
I was nine years old when the Berlin Wall came down. I remember the images of masses of people from the GDR fleeing to the West German embassy in Budapest. Then there were all the demostrations. The night the GDR government announced freedom of movement and people started to walk across the border and physically tear down the wall I was watching the evening news with my Mum. I remember sensing and understanding that something historical had happened (obviously without fully understanding the background or the dimensions yet) and I did what any kid would have done: I opportunistically asked if that meant I could stay up late tonight!:laugh:

The First Gulf War lastet until 1988, the Second Gulf War started in 1990, so it depends on which one you guys are referring to. I don't remember much of the first one but very much the second.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was nine years old when the Berlin Wall came down. I remember the images of masses of people from the GDR fleeing to the West German embassy in Budapest. Then there were all the demostrations. The night the GDR government announced freedom of movement and people started to walk across the border and physically tear down the wall I was watching the evening news with my Mum. I remember sensing and understanding that something historical had happened (obviously without fully understanding the background or the dimensions yet) and I did what any kid would have done: I opportunistically asked if that meant I could stay up late tonight!:laugh:

The First Gulf War lastet until 1988, the Second Gulf War started in 1990, so it depends on which one you guys are referring to. I don't remember much of the first one but very much the second.
I mean the one with the invasion of Kuwait. Here that other war is referred to as the Iran-Iraq war.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mean the one with the invasion of Kuwait. Here that other war is referred to as the Iran-Iraq war.
Yeah, I just got off work, so I googled it. Gulf War (that terminology) only comes up as August 1990 - February 1991.

I was thinking 1991 because that was Operation Desert Storm (Jan-Feb), where the USA actively took steps to expel Iraq from Kuwait, the August 1990 date didn't stick it my head as the start but as a prolog. (Also, I was looking for a job in August and then finally got something in September 1990, so my attention was really focused on that.)

I remember the Gulf War being odd because Bush Sr basically was a presidential hero (publicly) for the military effort, then ended up getting plowed under by Clinton regardless within a year or so. He fell from grace fast.

It was mind-boggling when it fell. I was very much of an age where the threat of nuclear war / the ongoing cold war rested consciously on my age group, and the USSR was the other gorilla in the ring. The ending felt abrupt to me when it occurred, although I suppose people with more knowledge of the USSR saw it coming.

I can't recall if we had a small TV on the floor or whether someone just had a radio on listening to the unfolding news or what. But seeing video/images later of people tearing down the wall, wow. It must have been amazing for those who had spent their daily lives in the shadow of the wall and what it represented. College could be an isolated microcosm, but that event was something that broke in.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, I just got off work, so I googled it. Gulf War (that terminology) only comes up as August 1990 - February 1991.

I was thinking 1991 because that was Operation Desert Storm (Jan-Feb), where the USA actively took steps to expel Iraq from Kuwait, the August 1990 date didn't stick it my head as the start but as a prolog. (Also, I was looking for a job in August and then finally got something in September 1990, so my attention was really focused on that.)

I remember the Gulf War being odd because Bush Sr basically was a presidential hero (publicly) for the military effort, then ended up getting plowed under by Clinton regardless within a year or so. He fell from grace fast.
I think Ross Perot might have played a pretty big part in the defeat of his re-election.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Ross Perot might have played a pretty big part in the defeat of his re-election.
well, that definitely did do something. ;)

However, I distinctly remember his approval crashing at the worst possible time... and here is the chart.

g-ir9jw5tuw9fcalyxneaq[1].png

Note how he was riding high at almost 90% approval during the Gulf War, then his ratings started to slide and he bottomed out at 29% and wasn't even at 40% approval when he lost.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ha ha. Ross Perot.

The first one I remember hearing about was the Iran hostages. I only remember it because I overheard my mom discussing what some of the hostages experienced. I only vaguely remember Chernobyl. For some reason, as a teen, I remember paying more attention to Mandela's release from prison ('90) than the Berlin Wall or Desert Storm.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just saw a claim on Twitter that Russian TV is playing Trump's praise of Putin. I've seen several articles about Russian TV playing Tucker Carlson's and Gabbard's praise, so I guess it would actually be surprising if they weren't also playing Trump's praise.

And the GOP members that are conceding how awful it is are focusing on how Biden isn't doing enough.

The footage coming in is wrenching.

Last edited:

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just saw a claim on Twitter that Russian TV is playing Trump's praise of Putin. I've seen several articles about Russian TV playing Tucker Carlson's and Gabbard's praise, so I guess it would actually be surprising if they weren't also playing Trump's praise.

And the GOP members that are conceding how awful it is are focusing on how Biden isn't doing enough.

The footage coming in is wrenching.
tHe pArTy oF ReAgaN!!

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
County law enforcement is in need of reform. This Note argues that elections are not functioning as an effective accountability mechanism and that county government must be given power to act as a check on county law enforcement. This Note further argues that, although the sheriff in his current form is emphatically not the officer for the job, the county is actually the best level of government at which to provide policing. This Note discusses the merits of two models of achieving consolidation of policing to the county level, with insights gleaned from America’s experiences with sheriffs.

Talk to your kids about oversight and accountability for law enforcement.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Any chance anyone here understands what they're saying? It's sad, regardless. I wonder what percentage of the Russian army really doesn't want to be there fighting and/or have no investment because they dont rrally know what theyre fighting for. (Vs. The Ukranians, who are 100% invested in protecting their home).

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
White House and EU nations announce expulsion of 'selected Russian banks' from SWIFT

Putin:
ive-made-a-huge-mistake-mistake.gif

Has anyone ever miscalculated the potential repercussions for one's actions this badly in history? He's effectively reduced Russia to North Korea level geopolitical pariahs, restrengthened western democracies alliances, and given his adversaries in Ukraine the infinite money/ammo cheat code with all the outside aid they're receiving from around the world. I knew that this wasn't gonna go well for Russia if they decided to invade, but I never predicted it could go this badly for them. There's gotta be a complete regime change on the horizon for them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you think he's liable to do something whacked if/when he realizes he's in a constricting cluster of boxes with no real escape? I think that worries me more. When someone has nothing to lose (regardless of how he got there), he's liable to do anything?

Also, did we discuss the lifting of sanctions last May yet? I didn't really know much about it, but had started reading last night to try to grasp how we got here. Maybe someone can correct me if I am misunderstanding something.

It sounds like the Nord Stream pipeline had been allowed to progress (which would allow Russian to pipe cheaper gas than American under the Baltic Sea to Germany) and thus enter the European energy network. Piping under the sea allows for not paying Ukraine fees that it would normally get for allowing transit through its territory, a circumvention which weakens the Ukraine politically and financially.

The pipeline had been allowed to near completion (it was 90% completed) by the time Biden became president. The US isn't keen on the pipeline being completed but Biden allowed a few of the sanctions to be lifted so that Germany would be more open to negotiation/discussion of the matter, rather than resisting changing stances after relations between Germany and the USA had weakened under Trump. I think I read Biden hoped to be able to persuade Germany not to follow through with the pipeline, if we eased up the pressure. Other sanctions were imposed but not enough to derail the project. Biden took some flak from both Democratic and Republican reps when these sanctions were lifted.

I guess my question is whether I got the gist of this correct and also whether the pipeline would have been completed regardless and/or whether there was anything useful gained by lifting of sanctions. I am not aware of other sanctions being lifted by the Biden administration that were imposed under Trump or earlier but am curious whether there are any. Typically situations are more complex than mere negligence, so I want to make sure I understand this.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I guess my question is whether I got the gist of this correct and also whether the pipeline would have been completed regardless and/or whether there was anything useful gained by lifting of sanctions. I am not aware of other sanctions being lifted by the Biden administration that were imposed under Trump or earlier but am curious whether there are any. Typically situations are more complex than mere negligence, so I want to make sure I understand this.

Yes, you have correct picture and the pipeline would probably be completed anyway. Especially if Biden must must not alienate Germany too much, because in that case some things would start to snowball. However as you know the real question is about actually transporting gas through it. What is currently on complete hold due to the situation, it is even possible that the pipeline never becomes functional.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you think he's liable to do something whacked if/when he realizes he's in a constricting cluster of boxes with no real escape? I think that worries me more. When someone has nothing to lose (regardless of how he got there), he's liable to do anything?

I suspect the option of a comfortable life is the most appealing step down from dictatorship? He doesn't seem like the "if I can't have Russia, then no one can!" type to me. If he starts nuking, surely he knows Russia will get nuked right back.

If his invasion succeeded without any majors consequences, that'd actually make me worry more about him starting to nuke with abandon.

This opinion is based on my many years as an armchair psychologist.