• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Devil's advocate answer: I think that individuals talking to other individuals without referencing a specific source to confirm what they're saying could arguably describe Facebook. And I think there's a very good argument that Facebook (and other such venues) is actually precisely what got us here.

Grown up response: I don't think you're putting due emphasis on the importance of having a source of reliable information or solid ideas to share in the first place. Either that or you're getting the impression that I said individuals talking to other individuals isn't important, all this country needs is the one thing I mentioned I wish I'd see more of. And that's not what I said. I'm not disagreeing that individuals talking to other individuals can play an important role (though I'll add that it's not as simple as you're making it out to be, not any ol' body can do it, because if you don't have the zen to effectively listen to responses when you're talking to people then you're probably just making your own party look bad). All I've been saying is that a more balanced source of reporting, someone who was actually trying to understand the other side in order to report what the other side thinks - rather than simply allowing their preferred official/candidate air time to regurgitate the same tired-but-still-emotionally-charged talking points without challenging them whilst selectively choosing opposing sound bites that'll cause the most outrage - is something that'd be immeasurably helpful and doesn't even currently exist.

*The "other side" here varies across different topics, it's not one homogenous group always against the opposing homogenous group. Some - since the Republican Exodus from the Trumpublican party - are actually differences that exist within the same bigger umbrella of (new) Democrat or (new) Republican). An example of "other sides" that exist within the same party currently might be the topic of cancelling all student loans. A good reporter (or podcaster, or whatever) would be able to effectively present both sides.

Maybe there's a different mentality in non-voters in your country. My own past experience with people who don't vote is that they don't want to talk politics either. "Neither side can be believed" kind of stuff. This is from the Before Times, but I'd be very surprised if they're generally more amenable to hearing about it now.

And I don't think it's productive to focus more on either "non-voter" or "Trump-voter" - since neither of those groups are homogenous either - and rather choose the individuals within each (and/or other groups) who are capable of actual dialogue, capable of examining their own beliefs in the face of contradictory 'proof' when it's strong enough, who don't resort to railroading or manipulation to 'win' being right - who can actually reason well enough to know when an argument merits credence on it's own vs. can't recognize when an argument itself is weak (but faith in the thing being true is so strong they can't see the weakness of the argument). There are the Trump folks like the ones ceecee described. In my experience, there seem to be 3 categories: aggressive railroading (trying to win being right through sheer force of will); manipulative ad hominem sort of stuff (TDS, "orange man bad" dismissals); and spastic deflection (when people have no idea how they sound, they're all over the place and practically spewing word salad, yet their conviction that they're right is so strong that they seem to assume - no matter what tangent their mind has taken them on - they're magically presenting strong arguments). <- Those things are pretty pointless to circumvent. I think this is the point you've been trying to make, and I already agree with it. But I'd lump the "neither side can be believed" non-voters in with them. When it comes to changing hearts and minds, it requires being someone whose own heart and mind can change (because people can tell) in the first place*, and finding others in other groups. I disagree that we'd find the biggest population of those in the non-voter group. They're in every group. It's just a matter of finding them.

*I personally am not zen. I live in a very mixed area - 60/40 Trump to Biden ratio, according to that recent NYT page that calculated the ratio of the latest election results where we live, and isolated bubbles of both just a stone's throw in either direction. But I know full well that I'm only doing damage to my 'party' if I get into a conversation with anyone who uses even a modicum of the things I mentioned (aggressive railroading, manipulation/gaslighting/spastic deflection). I don't hurl insults in person, but I shoot "Are you fucking retarded?!?" looks and/or it bleeds out into my tone. I'm not proud of the fact that I don't have patience for it, but there are a lot of things in my life I could stand to work on that'd improve the quality of my life and that's just one of them. (For the record, I don't have much patience for that kind of behavior in my own party either).

It would help me cultivate the patience, exponentially, if I had access to something that'd help me understand their general points of view BEFORE going into conversation with them though - and that's where the kind of interviews/podcasts/whatever I've been describing would come in awful handy. If someone talented and patient enough to suss that kind of explanation of them, so that I wouldn't have to - someone far more talented and patient than I am - it'd go a *long, long way* to helping get to a place where I COULD get into conversation without worrying about a "What the fuck is wrong with you?!?!" attitude taking over.

The bold part: That kinda means that people weren't going to school and they don't have any logical reasoning skills (in my culture you shouldn't have so poor opinion about the people in general). However judging by what can be found around the forum there evidently are people like that in the mix. However those aren't the people you are looking for. The point was that if you have a family member a friend or co-worker that you know that is on edge in this matters that you attract them to your side with logical argument. Like I did with chips and vaccines a few posts back. Also you can try to make sure they come with you on election day if possible (give them a ride if needed ... or whatever). Everything else is really "a bonus" that isn't expected of anybody. However if enough people does this that can easily have huge impact. Especially since from what I understand people that don't vote in general aren't polled. What kinda creates self fulfilling promises that may not reflect how the local population truly feels. I used to be a none voter for a long long time, what evidently doesn't fit into my current "presentation". Therefore I don't think all of this is as static as you make it to be.

Everything you said seems correct as facts, but what is questionable is approach. Since the odds are that your side will lose the midterms, what will really complicate a lot things. Therefore a person shouldn't be too passive in all this. Especially if the other side doesn't shy away from being assertive 24/7. That is all I was really saying.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tell us again about Democrats "scorching" bipartisanship, you fucking skanky-ass sac of infected pus*.

*McConnell. I'm saying McConnell is a skanky-ass sac of infected pus.

On one hand I agree that Mitch McConnell is opportunist human scum, and will definitely have his place on the dystopian Mount Rushmore of people who aided in the destruction of our Democracy, yet on the other hand he is very much a politically savvy and formidable adversary. He very much states what his underlying agenda is (Keeping Obama a one-term president, blocking the Biden agenda) and galvanizes his party in mass towards fulfilling said agenda.

If the Democrats as a whole had even a fraction of the conviction that he had to accmplish anything, despite how inherently malicious and destructive his goals may be, instead of just being weak flipfloppers who talk out of both sides of their face while ultimately fighting in-party with centrist Democrats for which one of them can venture over the most to the center-right and therefore MAYBE be allowed to sit with the Republicans they admire at the Capitol Hill High lunch table, things wouldn't be the dire state they are now.

(In before this post is interpreted as me saying something vaugely complimentary about Mitch McConnell and I subsequently get exiled from the Politics subforum -- in any case, if that is my fate, I hear The Bonfire is actually quite nice this time of year...)

Lark

Devil's advocate answer: I think that individuals talking to other individuals without referencing a specific source to confirm what they're saying could arguably describe Facebook. And I think there's a very good argument that Facebook (and other such venues) is actually precisely what got us here.

The role of FB is an interesting one, I recall the one time I was swayed to possibly support the Donald was following a series of horrible posts of really anti-RCC character and finally a fake post suggesting that Pope Francis might support Trump.

It was like a chain attack and I was aware that much of the content where trojans and other such trickery. Although, I have to say that the whole thing did achieve a sort of affective sway, a gut reaction, I never vote or change my opinion on this basis, if I can help it, and especially now since with distance I discovered all of this WAS propaganda and attempts at manipulations.

For years I've quite consciously researched this kind of thing, I'd suggest my critical awareness of this type of thing is very high and it still exercised a certain influence, which has made me think about how its likely to "work" with just the "common or garden" voter.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
America making Juneteenth a national holiday while banning people from teaching about it in schools is ironic, stupid and fully expected.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member

One is satire one is real. One is ironic, one is tragically serious. :mellow:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder which Bond villain would win a presidential primary if they all went head to head.

I could see Sanchez or Elliot Carver doing pretty well. Scaramanga for VP

Lark

One is satire one is real. One is ironic, one is tragically serious. :mellow:

Reagan had a thing against holidays, I remember reading about it in these memoirs he kept, which were pretty strange records with lots of sentences written and then a line put through them afterwards. Odd.

To hear him you'd have thought the US was coming down with holidays instead of being the one nation in which they are truly scarce, really and truly the US is worked to death without respite from it.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Everything you said seems correct as facts, but what is questionable is approach. Since the odds are that your side will lose the midterms, what will really complicate a lot things. Therefore a person shouldn't be too passive in all this. Especially if the other side doesn't shy away from being assertive 24/7. That is all I was really saying.

You're definitely not wrong. But the anger is a big obstacle, and I believe it really cements conviction in the opposite direction when it's not kept in check. It's essentially doing one of the things I complained about - in spite of the fact that I'm pretty sure I'm the one on morally sound ground*, it'd still be (however inadvertently) aggressive railroading. It's not intentional, I wouldn't be coming across as super angry just to be forceful - it's just a by-product of being super angry - but that won't change how it feels to be on the receiving end of it.

* I believe that if anyone were to present a compelling enough argument or support of how I'm not, I'd be able to hear it. And the fact that so many people try to simply spin the accusations around (instead of reflecting on whether they're true), get manipulative and gaslighty ("here's why your perception believes ____" personal attacks instead of actually addressing the thing being discussed), anything BUT presenting a compelling argument only perpetually affirms my conviction.

I've said this before here and it's still true: I really wish I could find support groups or something to deal with the anger. I don't think ignoring the news is a particularly available option. But it just keeps coming and I don't get enough of a chance to cool down. Just about every day brings more fresh hell of either some GOP official doing some absolutely douchebag thing or some Democrat being spineless and enabling all of them. Much like [MENTION=13112]Stigmata[/MENTION] mentioned, I too am getting as angry at the Democrats as I am at the Republicans at this point. Over the past 4 years I started rage donating to campaigns (as a way to vent anger) - even out of state senate campaigns - in hopes that if we won all majorities, we'd be able to STOP needing to donate so much just to keep up (believing they'd finally get rid of Citizens United and dark money financing campaigns, which would go a *long* way in helping remove some of the douchiest members of Congress). There's no way we can keep competing with Citizens United. Yet we won, and they can't even manage to stop it, or the suppression of voting. I mean. There's just too much anger, and too much of it bleeds through when talking to anyone who might be swayed by someone less angry.

So I see your point. But until I can somehow manage the anger, it wouldn't be actually productive. (It might help *me* to vent, lol, but it wouldn't go far in productively persuading people).

The Cat

Staff member
You're definitely not wrong. But the anger is a big obstacle, and I believe it really cements conviction in the opposite direction when it's not kept in check. It's essentially doing one of the things I complained about - in spite of the fact that I'm pretty sure I'm the one on morally sound ground*, it'd still be (however inadvertently) aggressive railroading. It's not intentional, I wouldn't be coming across as super angry just to be forceful - it's just a by-product of being super angry - but that won't change how it feels to be on the receiving end of it.

* I believe that if anyone were to present a compelling enough argument or support of how I'm not, I'd be able to hear it. And the fact that so many people try to simply spin the accusations around (instead of reflecting on whether they're true), get manipulative and gaslighty ("here's why your perception believes ____" personal attacks instead of actually addressing the thing being discussed), anything BUT presenting a compelling argument only perpetually affirms my conviction.

I've said this before here and it's still true: I really wish I could find support groups or something to deal with the anger. I don't think ignoring the news is a particularly available option. But it just keeps coming and I don't get enough of a chance to cool down. Just about every day brings more fresh hell of either some GOP official doing some absolutely douchebag thing or some Democrat being spineless and enabling all of them. Much like [MENTION=13112]Stigmata[/MENTION] mentioned, I too am getting as angry at the Democrats as I am at the Republicans at this point. Over the past 4 years I started rage donating to campaigns (as a way to vent anger) - even out of state senate campaigns - in hopes that if we won all majorities, we'd be able to STOP needing to donate so much just to keep up (believing they'd finally get rid of Citizens United and dark money financing campaigns, which would go a *long* way in helping remove some of the douchiest members of Congress). There's no way we can keep competing with Citizens United. Yet we won, and they can't even manage to stop it, or the suppression of voting. I mean. There's just too much anger, and too much of it bleeds through when talking to anyone who might be swayed by someone less angry.

So I see your point. But until I can somehow manage the anger, it wouldn't be actually productive. (It might help *me* to vent, lol, but it wouldn't go far in productively persuading people).

Sometimes it really feels like a majority on both sides want us disenfranchised and nihlistic. :shrug: Makes me angry, sad, and tired. -_-

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think this particular "Letter" from HCR articulates this well:

Essentially, Manchin appears to be blaming the person calling the fire department, rather than the arsonist, and then saying the firefighters need to work with the guys holding the gasoline cans and matches.

[...]

And here’s a twist to this story: according to political consulting firm Lake Research Partners, 68% of Americans, including a majority of Republicans, support the For the People Act. In a March 2021 article in the New Yorker, Jane Mayer, who is simply a crackerjack investigative reporter, broke the story that Republicans were privately dismayed at how overwhelmingly popular the For the People Act is.

In a private conference call on January 8, 2021, between one of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s (R-KY) policy advisers and the leaders of several prominent conservative groups, the speakers “expressed alarm at the broad popularity of the bill’s provision calling for more public disclosure about secret political donors.” They concluded it wasn’t worth trying to convince voters to oppose the bill. Instead, they decided to kill it in the Senate, through strategies like the filibuster. “When it comes to donor privacy, I can’t stress enough how quickly things could get out of hand,” McConnell’s policy adviser Steve Donaldson said.

(She supports her claims with links at the bottom of her page).

The role of FB is an interesting one, I recall the one time I was swayed to possibly support the Donald was following a series of horrible posts of really anti-RCC character and finally a fake post suggesting that Pope Francis might support Trump.

It was like a chain attack and I was aware that much of the content where trojans and other such trickery. Although, I have to say that the whole thing did achieve a sort of affective sway, a gut reaction, I never vote or change my opinion on this basis, if I can help it, and especially now since with distance I discovered all of this WAS propaganda and attempts at manipulations.

For years I've quite consciously researched this kind of thing, I'd suggest my critical awareness of this type of thing is very high and it still exercised a certain influence, which has made me think about how its likely to "work" with just the "common or garden" voter.

It's hard to understand why folks wouldn't even question many of the claims, but yeah. :(

America making Juneteenth a national holiday while banning people from teaching about it in schools is ironic, stupid and fully expected.

I imagine these things happening at the same time and voting affirmatively on the national holiday helps ease their conscience about the latter.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes it really feels like a majority on both sides want us disenfranchised and nihlistic. :shrug: Makes me angry, sad, and tired. -_-

Yeah. So tired.

I mean, dark money also more or less chooses which candidates get the Democrat nomination. I suspect we'd see a bit more spine in officials that weren't promoted by dark money.

The Cat

Staff member
Yeah. So tired.

I mean, dark money also more or less chooses which candidates get the Democrat nomination. I suspect we'd see a bit more spine in officials that weren't promoted by dark money.

yeah, funny how the msm doesnt want to talk about that. weird. i guess while everyone is busy arguing about lines in sand like whether or not certain groups of people should have the right to exist; or whether or not there's hypothetical socially acceptable subsets of norman rockwellian children to worry about while keeping others in kennels, or conversion therapy; doesnt leave a lot of air time for the dark money controlling our elections or how the wealthiest just dont pay taxes... weird. But hey the important thing is that we have idols and maybe could possibly someday be at the top of the pyramid ourselves. Thank Father Washtington this unfinished pyramid isnt just a scheme. All praise be to the flag. :dry:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

Well, to be honest I can also feel anger over all of this as well and I am on the other side of the world. What doesn't mean I am still not on the receiving end of this. Foreign policy, climate change, industrial standards, our diaspora in US that comes to local websites .... all of if can very quickly spills over here. Therefore as I said: I really do have a horse and the place in this game.

However exactly because of this I have said that this kind of talk should be done with people with who the whole thing wouldn't become a shouting match. Since that really isn't the point. If you can somewhere make another friendly vote that is great. But that isn't mandatory, even if that probably helps more than a few average donations in most cases.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Hahahahahaghha

That's what you get for worshipping a celebrity conman as a god just because he panders to all your worst impulses.

images

Also, yeah, maybe we should do something for homeowners and tenants this time instead of just Wall Street banks, if we really want to avoid "destabilizing society." (If Jaguar were still here, this comment would trigger him.)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so