• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's just something I saw frequently mentioned elsewhere.
Weird. I mean, it sounds dumb by name, but Rooney Mara is anything but dumb.
The best thespians are able to make the most mundane activities fascinating to watch.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm surprised more people haven't been criticizing this Barbie movie for been woke. As far as I can tell it's a parable about stepping outside traditional gender roles and expectations.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They would only give a shit nowadays if she was a transwoman.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, this BS again.

Just let the film sink or swim (so to speak) on its own merits. Stop @&!@*&# ing around with the voting, asshats.

Sounds from what I've read that Bailey is great, the critics are mixed on the rest of the film (it's pulled in a 68% critic response on RT, pretty much what I expected), and a lot of the Little Mermaids fan base are happy with it. So whatever, man. It's out, it's all done with, let's move on to the next useless Disney re-adaptation / cash grab. It's clear they don't really want to invest in really creative remakes, it's all for cash flow, so... let's move on.

I have tickets for Saturday for Spider-Verse.

I'll start looking at Flash tickets for mid-June.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watching the D&D movie again.

I've got mixed feelings on it. It's basically making attempts to be a good film and actually tries, rather than being just complete garbage. There's mini-character arcs. There's a few funny bits.

I think it is helped that all other D&D films (and most fantasy films) are just utter shite, so to find something that actually isn't ends up earning a lot more kudos than if it were being compared to great films.

It kinda feels like the 8-9th grade effort on the professional writing chart. Maybe a B or B+ rated film. But the jokes could have been punched up a lot, some of the dialogue is weak (the writers aren't the greatest, they say a lot of things on the nose / without nuance), and the plot is generally a recycling of better films. I feel like the actors could have been better directed as well.

As before, the paladin leaps out as a well-handled character (written and acted). The quizzing of the dead sequence is edited really well (it's one of the film's sequences, along with the wildshape escape, the underdark sequence, and maybe the end battle with the red sorcerer, that actually feels compelling/interesting). The mage being a wild mage and the attunement process is interesting, although a bit expected at the end.

I still really hate the approach to halflings and it feels like a cost-savings measure. Like, i don't ever want to see halflings again in this series. I'm not sure how I feel about the tabaxi; that was both cheesy and endearing in its cheesiness.

I know they want it accessible to all people, not just gamers, to make as much profit as possible; but it's leaning into the same thing as TBBT -- a fantasy film for people who aren't necessarily into fantasy, just like that show was a geek show for non-geeks, so I ended up not thinking it was that funny.

Still, an admirable effort.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Shocker.

Updated (friday):

Screenshot_20230602_062251_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Ravens and wolves form bonds... In another universe rn they're getting a new renaissance of Disney animated musicals about a pack of wolves and flock of ravens over coming odds and growing together and learning how to live in a changing world.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Spiderman: across the spiderverse.

...wow.

WOW.

WOW

I'm speechless right now. Will need to say more later.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ravens and wolves form bonds... In another universe rn they're getting a new renaissance of Disney animated musicals about a pack of wolves and flock of ravens over coming odds and growing together and learning how to live in a changing world.
I prefer ravens and seagulls pushing each other inward and outward. In that universe the Disney ravens and seagulls would always both be eternally at war and eternally in love.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse is probably better than the first film. It takes all of the promise of the initial outing and ratchets it up.

It's visually creative and original as much as the first film and not just resting on its laurels, it does NEW things and improves upon the animation to do even cooler stuff.

Most of the characters have a character arc that is worth following, and while it is Miles' film overall, Spider-Gwen gets a big arc of her own and her story from the first film is greatly fleshed out.

It's funny as hell (especially with the initial appearance of The Spot, but he slowly grows both funny but also intimidating -- omg, he's SUCH a great character in both the narrative for this story and the visual/vocal execution per the animations and Jason Schwartzman). But it's also deep, meaningful, crazy impactful emotionally. Some of these themes we've already seen but the film manages to make them all feel fresh and unique, as the best stories do. I was brought to tears a few times. This film feels mainly about alienation and standing firm even when you feel alone... and the thing is maybe you're not actually alone as you feel, or at least you're together in your feelings of isolation.

SMAtS takes full advantage of all the crazy variations of Spiderman ever published by Marvel and utilizes and/or riffs off many of them and makes them cool rather than dumb/chintzy. What a great use of the Spiderman properties. This film also, like Everything Everywhere All at Once, manages to fully utilize the idea of the multiverse (compared to dumbass films like Dr. Strange 2 or Quantumania). It's just mind-blowing. Marvel and DC should be embarrassed at being greatly outgunned by both of these films, and I expect this film to win best animated picture because I can't imagine what would be better this year, even with Pixar's hat in the ring.

Even as the first part of what is essentially a two-part story, it is just terrific. I've heard it compared to Matrix Reloaded mainly in the sense that it takes what you already know and gives you new angles on it that open up the story further, spinning things on their head. But i have a feeling that unlike Matrix Revolutions, Spiderverse 3 is going to seal the deal and actually give us a great ending.

I love how it builds on Miles' arc from the first film and the first part of this film. The film goes where it promises to go and Miles proves himself to just be an amazing human being -- and Gwen Stacy as well. I admire them both as characters so much.

I felt great leaving the theater and having seen this film. It is going to be in my top five films of the year, if not the highest. I would consider seeing it again, but there's a lot of films coming out over the summer and I already have a lot of trips to make. But yeah, this one rocks.

There are just some scenes that are also quiet and beautiful. I mean, this was a cool sequence in the film's middle:
1685851056836.png

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
And she's in Silo. Never heard of her before seeing that show (have not seen either of those movies). She's good in it though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And she's in Silo. Never heard of her before seeing that show (have not seen either of those movies). She's good in it though.
I've seen her in everything except Silo. As soon as I saw her on screen, I could tell she was talented.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I want to know @Doctor Cringelord 's thoughts on Dark Star. Being a John Carpenter fan, he must have some. I loved the ending, and thought parts of the middle should have been cut (some of the elevator hijinks). I'd also say this movie is prophetic, as it shows what the space agency that emerges out of Elon Musk's brain would look like. You love twitter so much you buy it and you're going to create what our crew is dealing with, here. Comparing it to Weyland-Yutani is unfair, because at least Weyland-Yutani's stuff works. (And yes I know about the Alien connection, and it has the same blue collar astronauts vibe that I love so much).

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I want to know @Doctor Cringelord 's thoughts on Dark Star. Being a John Carpenter fan, he must have some. I loved the ending, and thought parts of the middle should have been cut (some of the elevator hijinks). I'd also say this movie is prophetic, as it shows what the space agency that emerges out of Elon Musk's brain would look like. You love twitter so much you buy it and you're going to create what our crew is dealing with, here. Comparing it to Weyland-Yutani is unfair, because at least Weyland-Yutani's stuff works. (And yes I know about the Alien connection, and it has the same blue collar astronauts vibe that I love so much).
As a film school project, it’s really superb. I’m surprised it got a theatrical release, but then it’s much better and more substantial than a lot of other low budget science fiction B movies. The Carpenteresque elements seem to work the best—the overall mood, the minimalistic score, that general Carpenter quirkiness. I feel like the hijinx in the middle are more O’Bannon elements but I could be wrong. I agree that the whole premise of the mission sounds like something a nut like Musk or John McAfee might dream up, whereas Weyland Yutani is what I could see something like Amazon or Exxon/BP/any oil company becoming.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’m watching True Lies for the first time in years. I forgot how fun and quotable this movie is. This may be my favorite James Cameron film. It seems to get overlooked and I guess it was just overshadowed by his more iconic nineties films like T2 and Titanic

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
So cool when other people notice things like this.
I think it's because the horror elements in the Shining(moive) aren't real it's the actual story Jack Torrence is writing; its why certain details about the hotel and the Torrences are changed between certain scenes. Though I do like this guys final theory too.​