• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Three great genre films that Chris Evans loved being in... all great choices.
I need to watch Sunshine, even if it does that weird Danny Boyle thing all Danny Boyle movies do where it veers off into a random direction about halfway through.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't Tamil Cinema a genre? Do you know any accessible films that could be recommended from it?

EDIT: Sorry, someone pointed out there was a link there -- it wasn't showing up easily on my small phone screen when I responded earlier. I wish the page design here either used a different color or underlined links.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I haven't seen this movie since 06 or 07 but I'm liking this interpretation. I actually don't have a problem with happy endings at all (feel free to give me something bogus but feels good, Hollywood), but here they are putting forward the suggestion that he was actually going to murder Max Von Sydow, which I like just for consistency logical consistency. I remember liking the movie quite and I feel like in some ways it seems pretty accurate about where we are going (personalized ad experiences, self driving cars), but being a tad disappointed about how the perfect technology was wrong but I don't remember (feel free to correct me) them explaining how that happened; also it seemed to dodge the philosophical questions it was setting up by having it be wrong.

from article said:
That’s right folks! We’ve got another Phillip K. Dick adaptation that includes one scene of dialogue that makes you question everything. This same sort of thing happened with Total Recall’s ending, which not only littered the film with clues hinting at it all being a dream, but also had one scene that laid out a carefully crafted alternate hypothesis.

Do people think Total Recall was all real? It seemed to have too much of a sense of humor about itself from the beginning to really take all the over-the-top action movie beats in the last half or third seriously. Plus, didn't they give Schwarzenegger the "ultimate narcissist package" or something like that? It all reads as his over-the-top fantasy, and not only that but a parody/satire of the action genre that Schwarzenegger was synonymous with at this point.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't seen this movie sine 06 or 07 but I'm liking this interpretation. I actually don't have a problem with happy endings at all (feel free to give me something bogus but feels good, Hollywood), but here they are putting forward the suggestion that he was actually going to murder Max Von Sydow, which I like just for consistency logical consistency. I remember liking the movie quite and I feel like in some ways it seems pretty accurate about where we are going (personalized ad experiences, self driving cars), but being a tad disappointed about how the perfect technology was wrong but I don't remember (feel free to correct me) them explaining how that happened; also it seemed to dodge the philosophical questions it was setting up by having it be wrong.
I feel kind of dumb because I'm usually REALLY good at picking up on stuff like this -- and I had noticed tonally that the ending didn't quite feel right / felt unreal in some way, and it's my least favorite part of the film -- and this twist actually suddenly makes it feel far more palatable. The rest of the film feels more textured/nuanced and unfolds more realistically.

Do people think Total Recall was all real? It seemed to have too much of a sense of humor about itself from the beginning to really take all the over-the-top action movie beats in the last half or third seriously. Plus, didn't they give Schwarzenegger the "ultimate narcissist package" or something like that? It all reads as his over-the-top fantasy, and not only that but a parody/satire of the action genre that Schwarzenegger was synonymous with at this point.
When it hits that end that they predicted at the beginning as part of the package, verbatim, and with all the tongue-in-cheek jacked-up spy plot points (like, larger than life), it's hard [edit: NOT] to think it was all his purchase -- and it makes the film even better.

As much as I wanted to love the later remake, it tries to take itself seriously without having the chops to be taken that seriously. So then it feels like it falls flat.

Last edited:

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Isn't Tamil Cinema a genre? Do you know any accessible films that could be recommended from it?

EDIT: Sorry, someone pointed out there was a link there -- it wasn't showing up easily on my small phone screen when I responded earlier. I wish the page design here either used a different color or underlined links.
Yes! Sorry if I didn't clarify, but Tamil cinema is a genre.

I'll preface that most of what I've watched has been from the last ten years, so I can't speak much to older movies. For crime fans, I recommend Vikram Vedha and Ratsasan. Other ones I like are Maara, '96, and Kaththi.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Frankly, I'm overjoyed to see much more diverse, much more varied films being considered for an Oscar and winning. That said, these requirements the way they are written here, are going to cause more issues than they will solve.

The requirements include having at least one lead character in the movie be from an “an underrepresented racial or ethnic group”, having at least 30% of the general ensemble cast be from at least two underrepresented groups (women, ethnic minorities, LGBTQ+ people or people with disabilities), or having the movie’s subject focus on one of those groups.
I don't know how this can be mandated successfully. However.....
“Laurence Olivier was the last white actor to play Othello, and he did it in 1965,” Dreyfuss said. “And he did it in blackface. And he played a black man brilliantly.” Dreyfuss continued: “Am I being told that I will never have a chance to play a black man? Is someone else being told that if they’re not Jewish, they shouldn’t play the Merchant of Venice? Are we crazy? Do we not know that art is art?”
The idea that anyone would complain about having blackface opportunities ended and/or black characters played by black actors is peak white male Boomer. 🤌

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel kind of dumb because I'm usually REALLY good at picking up on stuff like this -- and I had noticed tonally that the ending didn't quite feel right / felt unreal in some way, and it's my least favorite part of the film -- and this twist actually suddenly makes it feel far more palatable. The rest of the film feels more textured/nuanced and unfolds more realistically.

When it hits that end that they predicted at the beginning as part of the package, verbatim, and with all the tongue-in-cheek jacked-up spy plot points (like, larger than life), it's hard to think it was all his purchase -- and it makes the film even better.

That's interesting because for me it does the exact opposite. Is it a thing where you think it would never be exactly as advertised? I guess the leader of the resistance is bizarre and off-putting enough that it's an argument against it being all in Quaid's head. Open your miiiiiiiind....
As much as I wanted to love the later remake, it tries to take itself seriously without having the chops to be taken that seriously. So then it feels like it falls flat.
Well what I loved about the original were the outright comedic elements. I could see room for a more serious take, but not if it sucks.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's interesting because for me it does the exact opposite. Is it a thing where you think it would never be exactly as advertised? I guess the leader of the resistance is bizarre and off-putting enough that it's an argument against it being all in Quaid's head. Open your miiiiiiiind....
Actually, it's just called a typo. I meant "it's hard NOT to think..."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, that's a problem nowadays.

FB_IMG_1683541750046.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hope this continues to be true.

RT: 100% (13 reviews)

Props to Chevapravatdumrong, Hsiao and Lim for knowing when to have fun and knowing when to get serious. It’s a difficult balance to strike, but they do it effortlessly.

Joy Ride slides comfortably into the tradition of hard-R road-trip movies while also demonstrating that American culture still has many areas to open up in terms of representation.

“Joy Ride” is a prime example of how important representation is on screen and proves that Asian American comedians can be just as funny, raunchy, and successful as their white male counterparts.

Joy Ride is a hilarious, high-energy film that follows the road trip genre closely before subverting in its own way.

If you miss the days when comedies weren’t afraid to dish out an outrageous serving of full-frontal nudity, hard drug use, unbridled horniness and delightfully gruesome potty humor, boy do I have the movie for you.

Joy Ride is the big, broad, studio comedy to beat this year.

The positive reviews are also all in the 8-10/10 or A/A- rating.

I mean, the first time I saw the trailer, I about died.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Weird if that's true, but I guess I've seen crazier.

I wasn't big on the whole basis of the film (he was kinda pulling in The Dark Knight Returns themes by Miller, but it didn't really work well as constructed -- even though I think that opener with him watching Supes and Zod destroying Metropolis was pretty real.)

They're supposed to just be making sure the films are graded correctly per specific content that can appear in any film, not critiquing the creative direction of the film. Maybe if they had given it an R for treating the character of Jimmy Olsen like crap, I could go with that :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's something fun I noticed: Thanos' gauntlet in Infinity War goes on his left hand.

The one Tony Stark makes goes on the right hand.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is it normal to love The Green Knight but not care for A Ghost Story? This has nothing to do with the pie scene by the way.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it normal to love The Green Knight but not care for A Ghost Story? This has nothing to do with the pie scene by the way.
I love both, but I could understand it if someone didn't like one or the other.

I've been kind of lukewarm to Lowery's Disney stuff, though.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love both, but I could understand it if someone didn't like one or the other.
I've been kind of lukewarm to Lowery's Disney stuff, though.
It just didn't wow me the way the Green Knight did. I don't think it was as philosophically interesting (maybe because I spend a lot of time think about death and time already) or visually stunning. I found the ghost costume endearing but it think it made it a little hard to connect to the character emotionally beyond "all of this must suck for him". I didn't hate watching the movie but it didn't do for me what The Green Knight did.

Maybe I'll revisit it 10 years down the line and have a different opinion on it.

I haven't seen those Disney movies.

I've seen Tarkovski's Solaris and I think all the artsy-fartsy padding (the director admitted he put this stuff in there just to annoy people) there made a patient viewer out of me. Given the endless Moscow highway scenes, a long pie-eating sequence is nothing.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not sure why the pie scene is being brought up repeatedly, it's one of the best scenes in the film. I would assume any disfavor with the film was because of something else.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not sure why the pie scene is being brought up repeatedly, it's one of the best scenes in the film. I would assume any disfavor with the film was because of something else.
It's just something I saw frequently mentioned elsewhere.