• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am definitely interested in seeing this so I'm trying to avoid spoilers. It sounds weird enough that I should like it, but that doesn't guarantee anything. I've come across a few movies that I feel like I should like them, but I just don't and that fact will puzzle me. I think Pan's Labyrinth falls into this category, which is made even weirder by the fact that I love Crimson Peak and Shape of Water.
Interesting. I didn't really enjoy Crimson Peak as much as I wanted to (although the set production and costuming was pretty amazing), and I felt like Shape of Water was kinda rote for del Toro -- not a bad movie, just kind of by the numbers for him.

I always cry at the beginning and the ending of Pan's Labyrinth, it's so bittersweet and I love the ambiguity of what's real and what's not... plus the entire film despite the fantasy aspects is really about good and evil on a human level. What makes people terrible and what makes them admirable?

--

The TV show Dark really dips into the myth of Ariadne, the labyrinth, and following the red thread through the maze.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cocaine Bear ended up being pretty much exactly what I thought it would be -- a B movie that is pretty well done, funny, and completely escapist. While much of the film was hilarious, there are moments where it does veer into B movie amounts of gore that are both unsettling but also funny because of how over the top it is.

The end is maybe the weakest part, the first half of the film is the strongest.

It's kind of fun to watch Margo Martindale as a park ranger with a gun, trying to flirt with a dweeb nature lover, or seeing Kristofer Hivju playing a nature-loving hiker completely the opposite of his GoT character (Tormund). Also, Ray Liotta has a pretty stock part and is only in a few scenes of the film, but he makes it look effortless. (RIP.)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting. I didn't really enjoy Crimson Peak as much as I wanted to (although the set production and costuming was pretty amazing), and I felt like Shape of Water was kinda rote for del Toro -- not a bad movie, just kind of by the numbers for him.

I always cry at the beginning and the ending of Pan's Labyrinth, it's so bittersweet and I love the ambiguity of what's real and what's not... plus the entire film despite the fantasy aspects is really about good and evil on a human level. What makes people terrible and what makes them admirable?

--

The TV show Dark really dips into the myth of Ariadne, the labyrinth, and following the red thread through the maze.
I tend to assume such things are not real because I often have a negative take on things usually and I'm used to finding in real life that similarly wonderous fantasies are just illusions; it's all just stuff I made up. Maybe that's it.... the movie isn't telling me anything I don't already know. I think even when l saw it at college age I felt that way. I don't think I ever really saw much ambiguity in the movie.

Although if I give it a rewatch I may have a different impression because I would probably relate to the main character more.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Apologies to the other movie watchers here -- I always try to force myself to complete a film before rating it, to be fair to the picture, but I just can't finish Ghosted (2023) on Apple TV. Two great leads (Chris Evans and Ana de Armas), but damn is it boring AF, I'm almost to the point of beating my head on the end table just to stay awake and feel something.

I'm not sure where it went wrong -- I want to blame either the script or the director or both, but I'm confused because there are four script writers, each with some fairly decent films under their belts.

Ghosted is basically a reverse rip-off of James Mangold's "Knight & Day" -- which is about a handsome agent (Tom Cruise) accidently bumping into a non-spy (Cameron Diaz) who becomes embroiled in his life of intrigue -- but maybe a telling point is that Cruise and Diaz never actually sleep together in the film, while actually having chemistry together and impeccable comic timing.

In this film, Evans plays a whiny man who bumps into a detached woman who ends up being a spy and has to save him when he decides to show initiative and just, hell, flies to London after he tracks the inhaler he left in her purse over there. (Don't ask.) WHen they first meet, all he does is judge her and snip at her, which pisses her off, yet for some bizarre reason with this negative chemistry she decides to let him take her out for coffee and drinks, and they screw within the first ten minutes of the film. (Talk about how NOT to build sexual tension. The only reason I see for them getting together is that they're both Beautifully Hot People, but personality wise they should loathe each other.)

Which maybe they do, because the first hour of the film, whenever they're together, all they do is argue -- but not in a hot way like Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd, but kind of in a, "Can you both fucking shut up and go your separate ways so I don't have to listen to this shit anymore?" kind of way. Like, they have negative sexual tension in this film. I don't really like either of them in this film.

The action sequences are boring, they're either filmed wrong or choreographed in ways that aren't interesting or don't make sense logistically in a fight. I'd rather watch a five year old play with his superhero figures.

When Adrien Brody walked in as the bad guy and was completely inert, I decided I was done.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Apologies to the other movie watchers here -- I always try to force myself to complete a film before rating it, to be fair to the picture, but I just can't finish Ghosted (2023) on Apple TV. Two great leads (Chris Evans and Ana de Armas), but damn is it boring AF, I'm almost to the point of beating my head on the end table just to stay awake and feel something.

I'm not sure where it went wrong -- I want to blame either the script or the director or both, but I'm confused because there are four script writers, each with some fairly decent films under their belts.

Ghosted is basically a reverse rip-off of James Mangold's "Knight & Day" -- which is about a handsome agent (Tom Cruise) accidently bumping into a non-spy (Cameron Diaz) who becomes embroiled in his life of intrigue -- but maybe a telling point is that Cruise and Diaz never actually sleep together in the film, while actually having chemistry together and impeccable comic timing.

In this film, Evans plays a whiny man who bumps into a detached woman who ends up being a spy and has to save him when he decides to show initiative and just, hell, flies to London after he tracks the inhaler he left in her purse over there. (Don't ask.) WHen they first meet, all he does is judge her and snip at her, which pisses her off, yet for some bizarre reason with this negative chemistry she decides to let him take her out for coffee and drinks, and they screw within the first ten minutes of the film. (Talk about how NOT to build sexual tension. The only reason I see for them getting together is that they're both Beautifully Hot People, but personality wise they should loathe each other.)

Which maybe they do, because the first hour of the film, whenever they're together, all they do is argue -- but not in a hot way like Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd, but kind of in a, "Can you both fucking shut up and go your separate ways so I don't have to listen to this shit anymore?" kind of way. Like, they have negative sexual tension in this film. I don't really like either of them in this film.

The action sequences are boring, they're either filmed wrong or choreographed in ways that aren't interesting or don't make sense logistically in a fight. I'd rather watch a five year old play with his superhero figures.

When Adrien Brody walked in as the bad guy and was completely inert, I decided I was done.
So you ghosted Ghosted. You should be proud. That works on a lot of levels.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Is there any actual ghosting? I'm guessing it would be Ana de Armas in this case.
I know one pretty cool VVitch from the land of Fables who did a pretty good ghosing of ghost. Ten years from now someones should make a movie about ghosting ghosted The should call it Ghosted II The REfundening.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is there any actual ghosting? I'm guessing it would be Ana de Armas in this case.
He thought she was ghosting him after they hooked up, but then he realized she was just in London, so then he just happened to have a ticket voucher for a free flight somewhere and spent it to "pop in on London" to show her he could be a romantic, but instead this blew her cover.

That all sounds like a spoiler, but honestly this movie can't be spoilered because none of it is really that interesting.

... although one cool thing -- they meet up in Georgetown and not only go up the Exorcist steps but they also walk around the stream/tributary that's down there, that people often go jogging on. It's always really neat to see a place I actually know (because I've been there) in a film I am watching, when I don't even expect it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He thought she was ghosting him after they hooked up, but then he realized she was just in London, so then he just happened to have a ticket voucher for a free flight somewhere and spent it to "pop in on London" to show her he could be a romantic, but instead this blew her cover.

That all sounds like a spoiler, but honestly this movie can't be spoilered because none of it is really that interesting.
What was that movie where Chris Pine and some other guy (Tom Hardy?) were secret agents competing for the same woman? This is kind of reminding me of that. I don't remember hearing great things about that one, ether.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What was that movie where Chris Pine and some other guy (Tom Hardy?) were secret agents competing for the same woman? This is kind of reminding me of that. I don't remember hearing great things about that one, ether.
Yeah, i think it was originally entitled "Spy vs Spy" but had to be renamed into "This is War" or "This means War" or something stupid due to Mad Magazine or someone owning the rights to the title?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, i think it was originally entitled "Spy vs Spy" but had to be renamed into "This is War" or "This means War" or something stupid due to Mad Magazine or someone owning the rights to the title?
Oh, that sounds about right.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

347 of 475 · 73%
You did better than 96% of users on this list
Your rank: #350 of 9,739 users on this list

you could tell when I started watching films as a teen because as soon as it hit the early 80's I was checking off almost everything.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally watched M3GAN this morning.

It's kind of a momentarily enjoyable watch-once horror film, from my perspective. I enjoyed Barbarian and Malignant more and am far more apt to rewatch those. Still this film has its moments, although it feels like it was reined in as far as censoring goes.

The plotting is nothing special, it's pretty clear what all the beats are going to be. The script is also kind of terrible for much of the film -- some of the dialogue and some of the plotting. (For example, what company would allow such an important and expensive prototype to be taken off the facilities and not be locked down 24/7? And especially being taken out in public, to be seen by average people? It's just ludicrous and stupid in that regard.) And honestly, the dialogue at times is really stripped back if not laughable, and the actor playing the CEO is just awful.

Meanwhile both Allison Williams (Gemma) and Violet McGraw (Cady) both deserved better lines, they were the top cast in the film and actually have chops (especially Violet), so they were undersold in this film. Also, the body/face double and the voice (two separate people) for M3GAN also did a great job. For much of the film it should have been very clear about a kid dealing with grief for two months, yet it was never addressed -- until finally it was, in a somewhat poignant moment unsupported by the writing elsewhere in the film and wrapping up too neatly. The unexpected turn in the first demo was kind of hysterically funny + also very unexpectedly moving, along with another few M3GAN + Cady that were surprisingly emotional. So at times the film almost becomes a real film, but like the M3GAN android it's essentially just at core a knock-off / simulacra.

The thing, at times M3GAN can be fun. It reminds me of Orphan a bit, in that something beneficial and/or expected to support family love ends up being a destructive force, both wrapped in the form of a young girl. Orphan was a bit emotionally deeper, but there are moments of craziness that will just bring laughs. I had to alternate with, "Gee, you really don't want to be doing that" with laughter at how bad things were heading and guessing pretty accurately what was coming.

I had seen all this buzz about the "dance sequence" but in the film it's barely 10 seconds if that. I'm a little confused as to why it was so popular. I feel like the film just hit the zeitgeist for some reason that I don't quite fathom, leading to its momentary popularity. But in the big scale, I'm not sure it deserved all the attention it got; I've seen better horror flicks that barely made a splash.

(For a semi-recent one that did get some attention, I would mention Elizabeth Moss' "The Invisible Man" from 2020 -- that is a case of a similar horror film with a far more solid script, scares, and development, that resonates even after viewing has ended. M3GAN has a decent production budget and looks nice, but TIM was a better film.)

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

He talks about "Road to Perdition," which is one of my favorite films -- probably my favorite Sam Mendes film, with some key stars (Hanks, Craig, Law, Hinds, Newman, Tucci), a great Thomas Newman score, and a posthumous Oscar Cinematography win for Conrad Hall. I had to laugh when he referred to "Danny Craig" -- I have never imagined Craig being called "Danny" in my life.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Not much for the little tabloid film sites, but I hope this is true. I know they did hire Nic recently for Blade.

Phase 4 and current were mostly a showcase for amateur hour. The crappy scripting was a big part of the problem... it ended up being forgettable on the level of old made for TV movies and non-prime-time sitcoms/shows.

Rewatched Infinity War yesterday. Aside from all of the writing capturing character personalities, the humor could be silly but not inane... it all typically reflected character... and to keep all the cuts straight, each scene would end in a way that would introduce where the cut would leap to. It was very thought out.

Last edited: