• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Little Mermaid is the latest Disney movie to bring one of its all-time greatest animated classics into the real world, and it is also taking the opportunity to expand and update the story of Ariel in the process. It seems that one of the changes being made to the plot of the movie will see sea witch Ursula being the estranged sister of Ariel’s father, King Triton. The new detail about the movie was revealed along with a series of new images including a new look at Melissa McCarthy’s take on Ursula.

Ironically, although it is never said in the animated film, based on how Triton and Ursula relate to each other, I rather always assumed that was the back story off-record.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Ironically, although it is never said in the animated film, based on how Triton and Ursula relate to each other, I rather always assumed that was the back story off-record.
It's pretty cannon like since it essentially came out iirc,

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the first 2 death wish films are so dour and dated, but i love death wish 3. it's so silly and over-the-top.

The Cat

Staff member
Willow still holds up. Jean Smart as Bavmorda is so much like my grandmother as long as that movie exists it feels like I get to experience her...rather unique charisma all over again.
Im gonna check out the series, but the Movie is still good.​

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
endless traaash

feeling some cannon 80s schlock this weekend. at least it didn't try to pretend to be more than it was.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dunno, man. I feel like this film is gonna tank.

marvel is done. i was forced to sit through that trailer because youtube doesn't let ya skip half the ads now. they're really trying to push this one hard. no one cares about captain marvel or brie larsen so they can't manufacture hype out of thin air, no matter how hard they try. all the decent writers have moved to ruining old TV IPs, so marvel films is left with the dregs

it's sad because she's actually a good actress and could be doing way better than this. paycheck must be niiice, can't blame her

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
marvel is done. i was forced to sit through that trailer because youtube doesn't let ya skip half the ads now. they're really trying to push this one hard. no one cares about captain marvel or brie larsen so they can't manufacture hype out of thin air, no matter how hard they try. all the decent writers have moved to ruining old TV IPs, so marvel films is left with the dregs
Yeah, and the other two Marvels are okay but not that interesting -- they're known among comics readers but are niche books / characters. They really never found people to do their films/shows who had an exciting vision for what came next.

It's actually indicative of real comics: About 85-90% boring shit that no one remembers a year later or just fills monthly shelf space, because the writing and/or visual talent just isn't there, and then that 10-15% that just rocks and will stick around in the industry zeitgeist for a few decades until it is done to death and cloned a zillion times over.

it's sad because she's actually a good actress and could be doing way better than this. paycheck must be niiice, can't blame her
She's done some wonderful indie films.

I actually liked her as Captain Marvel in Infinity War and Endgame (she was more of a presence than a character), but her own film was really ehh.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I must be like the only person who liked the Captain Marvel movie, lol. But I usually don't feel compelled to see the latest Marvel offerings; I still haven't seen Endgame.

The Cat

Staff member
I must be like the only person who liked the Captain Marvel movie, lol. But I usually don't feel compelled to see the latest Marvel offerings; I still haven't seen Endgame.
Im pretty sure a lot of us liked the captain marvel movie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I usually don't feel compelled to see the latest Marvel offerings; I still haven't seen Endgame.
:ohmy:
dude. lol!!!!

I mean, the second part (the time heist) is kind of throwaway (it functions to move the plot forward but I felt like the drama was kind of lacking), but I thought the first part was great dramatically, and the last hour is a hell of a spectacle. I still favor Infinity War, but it's worth a watch on the biggest screen you can find.

Im pretty sure a lot of us liked the captain marvel movie.
Let's put it this way: It's not actively bad. It's just kind of there and it's good not to have many expectations for it.

However, the secondary characters are more interesting than the main character. Carol Danvers has no actual arc. Marvel doesn't seem to know what to do with her as a lead character. (Which is a real shame, there's been some great arcs with her, including the whole Marcus bit. You guys know that's where Rogue got her powers, right? When Carol was the original Ms. Marvel, she and Rogue got in a bad fight -- Rogue was like 17-18 -- and Rogue drained her powers and her memory permanently. It was a huge plot arc for Rogue and Carol was rattling around in her skull for a LONG time... and Wolverine who was a close friend of Carol hated Rogue's guts for awhile until she almost died saving Mariko, Wolverine's love.)

I wish we had spent the movie even more hanging out with the Skrull.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally watched The Whale. Aranofsky never does easy films, does he? Sometimes his risks don't pay off as well, other times they do. I would say overall that I would place this and Noah at the bottom of Aranofky's films, but that is only a faint criticism because ALL of Aranofsky's films have been provocative and worth watching; it's the same thing I'd say about Villeneuve, for example, he doesn't really ever make BAD films.

Really great cast performances, especially from Chau and Fraser -- but honestly everyone pulled their weight, and I totally forgot Samanthan Morton (another favorite of mine) was in this film.

The weakest part of the film is its script. It clearly shows its theater roots (just like A Few Good Men and some other films do), and at times this is okay and other times frustrating -- its trauma and relationships and scene blocking feel a bit contrived at times for stage (especially where everything needs to loom large) but not as nuanced as maybe what you'd expect in a drama film.

I felt like the story was very merciful to ALL the characters. No one was really a hero by the end, it was gracious enough to look at each character honestly -- heroic traits and terrible flaws -- and just accept them in all their awful, glorious reality. No one was really shown to be in a position of authority to judge anyone, they were all people in pain from the daily realities of being alive, yet stll on some level trying to interact with others or survive meaningfully. Liz is a fierce character, both when she is protecting Charlie but also when her trust is violated. Mary feels shafted by circumstance and unable to cope, yet still tries to show grace and think of others besides herself. Ellie is cold fury, on the warpath because of her feelings of abandonment, yet she continues to engage and shows deep honesty regardless of the pain it could cause. Charlie is a positive person looking for something ideal in life, and yet also maybe unrealistic; and the loss of the ideal he was chasing has led him on a slow path to self-destruction because he can't cope with it. And so on. They are beautifully marred, wonderfully made, in their tragedies and their triumphs.

The religious stuff pissed me off. Not just because the beliefs are wrong, but because it was too triggering for me after all the frustration I have experienced in my many years of life, dealing with these people who are well-minded and see themselves as compassionate, yet have no fucking clue about anything including honesty and self-revelation, whose offers to help or save you are really dripping with the worst kind of poison and do nothing but debase what truth you've experienced in life. It's not just frustrating but sad, because they need to be saved from the illusions they're projecting on others but you have no way to get through to them, and meanwhile they keep trying to save you.

Despite not feeling much but curiosity and some level of emotional engagement through much of the films, I broke down sobbing unexpectedly twice. It's like it all bypassed my regular reasoning centers and just leapt right into an emotional KO.

I guess I have to talk about the elephant in the room (which I suppose is also a dry pun of sorts). I know people have hotly debated whether the film is fatphobic. I also see a lot of activist types who are ironically probably not overweight dissing the film for its handling of an obese character. To the spirit of ruthless self-honestly, just like Charlie hiding being his "supposedly busted laptop camera," I have a small horse in the race -- I struggle with weight, have hit 330lbs and a BMI of 46, have been experiencing the initial start of issues like Charlie's from a health perspective, and am also noticing some early issues with mobility and body sense. I didn't necessarily find the film fatphobic. The importance of clinging to reality and the value of honesty is baked into the script. The opinions or emotional responses from a pizza guy and a religious zealot aren't put on a pedestal in this film, and the reality of Charlie's existence as well as his compulsive eating is shown in the film -- yet I don't feel like it's a judgment of the film even if I think I might have edited a minute or two of it out as unnecessary to get the point across. ALL of the characters are actually treated in brutal honesty; by the end, we see them all in their human frailty and complexity. All are deeply flawed people and yet all have shining virtues. I feel like political arguments about a piece of film content has taken precedence over what the films were actually about and what we can learn from them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What a cluster. He was the best part of Phase 4.

I'm not really sure what to think. The whole James Gunn thing tasted bad in my mouth, although that was a bit different -- they already had vetted him and the old stuff was already on record when they originally hired him, and then they bumped him for it due to bad publicity, then basically shot their MCU in the foot because he's now gonna be the DC guy even if he did come back to finish GotG3.

Majors of course was accused of doing stuff now, not in the past; and I can't say I found his arguments convincing so far, but I also have no idea what really happened. It's frustrating. I don't really trust Disney much either to make a sane decision based on evidence, they seem far too socio-political nowadays. It's like one more nail in the MCU coffin -- although I'm gonna watch some stuff by Damson Idris because I know I've seen the Black Mirror episode he was in and he looks like he could be a decent actor. I just really enjoyed what Majors was doing with Kang, sadly.

The Cat

Staff member
Ahhhhhhhh! This may be the first movie im excited for in like...since the last hobbit movie came out?​