• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
This was pretty good. I wouldnt mind seeing this get picked up for a long form movie or show.​

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Dark Knight is a pretty great film, although it seems to be talked about so much in exclusion to other films and it's not even my favorite Christopher Nolan film (that would go to either The Prestige, Memento, or Inception -- and Interstellar also has some really great sequences in it). There are a ton of great movies out there with a similar tone or tone. If you haven't seen Heat, I strongly recommend it (not a superhero film but same feel and a thriller with master acting involved).

I do think TDK's opener is one of the best openings I have ever seen in a film, damn. It's interesting to watch, paced well, and completely establishes the essence of the Joker's character.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Screwing around with ChatGPT:

What is the best MCU film?

Determining the "best" Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) film is subjective and can vary depending on personal preferences and individual experiences. The MCU has produced numerous critically acclaimed and commercially successful films, each with its own unique style, characters, and storylines. However, there are a few films that are often regarded as highlights of the franchise:
  1. "Avengers: Endgame" - Directed by Joe and Anthony Russo, this film serves as the culmination of the Infinity Saga, which spanned multiple MCU films. It brings together a vast ensemble of characters and delivers epic action sequences, emotional moments, and a satisfying conclusion to many character arcs.
  2. "Black Panther" - Directed by Ryan Coogler, this film broke new ground by being the first superhero film with a predominantly black cast and a celebration of African culture. It garnered critical acclaim for its powerful storytelling, compelling characters, and thought-provoking themes.
  3. "Iron Man" - Directed by Jon Favreau, this film launched the MCU and introduced audiences to Robert Downey Jr.'s charismatic portrayal of Tony Stark/Iron Man. It established the tone and style of the franchise, combining action, humor, and a grounded approach to superhero storytelling.
  4. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" - Directed by Joe and Anthony Russo, this film is often praised for its thrilling action sequences, engaging espionage plot, and exploration of moral dilemmas. It deepens the character of Captain America and has a significant impact on the overall MCU narrative.
  5. "Guardians of the Galaxy" - Directed by James Gunn, this film brought a refreshing and irreverent tone to the MCU. It introduced a group of misfit characters and blended sci-fi, comedy, and heartfelt moments into an entertaining space adventure.
These are just a few examples, and the MCU has a wide range of films with different genres, styles, and tones. Ultimately, the "best" MCU film is subjective and may vary based on personal preferences, favorite characters, and the emotional impact of each film.

What is the best Star Wars film?

Determining the "best" Star Wars film is subjective and can vary depending on personal preferences and individual experiences. The Star Wars franchise has a rich and diverse collection of films, each with its own unique qualities and fan following. However, there are a few films that are often mentioned as highlights of the saga:

1. "Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back" - Directed by Irvin Kershner, this film is widely regarded as one of the best in the franchise. It features an engaging storyline, memorable characters, iconic moments (such as the revelation of Darth Vader's true identity), and a darker tone that delves into the complexities of the Star Wars universe.
  2. "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope" - As the film that started it all, this original Star Wars installment directed by George Lucas holds a special place in fans' hearts. It introduced audiences to the galaxy far, far away, and its timeless story of good versus evil, along with unforgettable characters like Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia.
  3. "Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi" - Serving as the conclusion to the original trilogy, this film directed by Richard Marquand wraps up the storylines of the beloved characters and brings closure to the conflict between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire. It features epic battles, emotional moments, and the iconic confrontation with Emperor Palpatine.
  4. "Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens" - Directed by J.J. Abrams, this film marked the beginning of the sequel trilogy. It introduced new characters like Rey, Finn, and Kylo Ren while paying homage to the original trilogy's legacy. It successfully reignited the Star Wars franchise for a new generation of fans.
  5. "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" - This standalone film directed by Gareth Edwards offers a unique perspective within the Star Wars universe. It tells the story of a group of rebels who embark on a daring mission to steal the Death Star plans. It showcases a grittier and more realistic take on the Star Wars saga and has been praised for its compelling characters and intense action sequences.
Again, it's important to note that opinions on the best Star Wars film can vary, and each entry in the franchise has its own merits and appeals. The best film for you may depend on factors such as personal attachment to specific characters or storylines.

What is the best harry potter film?

Determining the "best" Harry Potter film is subjective and can vary depending on personal preferences and individual experiences. The Harry Potter film series, based on J.K. Rowling's popular book series, has captivated audiences worldwide. While each film has its own unique qualities and moments, there are a few that are often regarded as highlights of the franchise:

1. "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" - Directed by Alfonso Cuarón, this film is often praised for its darker tone, visual style, and the introduction of new characters such as Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. It deviates slightly from the previous two films and brings a fresh perspective to the magical world.
  2. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2" - Serving as the grand finale of the series, this film directed by David Yates delivers epic battles, emotional moments, and a satisfying resolution to the story. It concludes the journey of Harry Potter and his friends, bringing closure to the overarching narrative.
  3. "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" - Directed by Mike Newell, this film marks a turning point in the series as the story becomes darker and more mature. It features the Triwizard Tournament and introduces new challenges and dangers for Harry and his friends.
  4. "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" (or "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" in the US) - Directed by Chris Columbus, this film serves as the introduction to the wizarding world and the beloved characters. It captures the wonder and magic of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, laying the foundation for the subsequent films.
  5. "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" - Directed by David Yates, this film delves into the complex relationships among the characters and explores Voldemort's rise to power. It provides important insights into the backstory and motivations of key characters.
These are just a few examples, and the Harry Potter film series has a total of eight films that tell the complete story. Each film has its own merits and appeals, and the "best" film may vary depending on personal attachment to certain storylines or characters.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm watching The Dark Knight
Here why I think why it's great:
It is frequently regarded as the best comic book movie of all time.
Among the best efforts to make a superhero movie seem realistic.
The Principal Highlight The Joker has undoubtedly never been portrayed better than by Heath Ledger, who played the role. Ledger did a fantastic job of portraying the Joker through his flawless method acting abilities as insane and unpredictable yet incredibly horrifying and menacing. In addition to being tense and keeping you on the edge of your seat, all of the moments he is in are memorable and quotable. Examples include his monologues about his scars and his conversations with Harvey Dent at the hospital.
He became the first actor to play a comic book movie character to win an Oscar for the performance.Great scenery.
Excellent editing.
Awesome conversation.
Stunning filmmaking.
Fantastic battle scenes.
The sombre, realistic tone of the movie was executed well.
This is Christopher Nolan's most recognisable film, and his direction is fantastic and got the best reviews on gamblorium.
The opening bank robbery, the Joker's pencil trick, the truck chase, Batman questioning the Joker, the hospital explosion, etc., are just a few memorable and now famous scenes.
It modernises the costume to more closely match the batarang and logo sign. Bruce even asks Lucius for a more flexible costume in the movie to further illustrate this point.
The untimely passing of Rachel has a significant impact on Batman for the remainder of the trilogy.
The action scenes are all thrilling and enjoyable to watch.
James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer created a fantastic score.
Although Heath Ledger stands out the most, everyone in this film does an outstanding job acting, and the acting is excellent throughout. from Michael Caine, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Aaron Eckhart, Gary Oldman, and Christian Bale.
In addition, Two-Face is a fantastic and menacing bad guy who, rather than his split personality condition getting worse after having his face burned, is motivated by vengeance.
I agree. The Dark Knight made the Tim Burton Batman films look like Saturday morning cartoons in comparison.

I don’t even particularly like a lot of superhero movies. I never read comic books growing up. This is one of those films that transcends the genre and is just a solid film with mass appeal.

I like how The Joker is used sparingly. We don’t know when or how he’ll strike, and it makes him terrifying.

The Cat

Staff member
I don't think the Dark Knight is the best comic book movie of all time. The nolan batman trilogy is my least favorite. Michael Caine was well cast as Alfred, and Heath Ledger is good in anything he was in. They sort of carried the series. They're well cast for the most part, but over all I think they were just on par with the times. Visually the Burton Batman is most like the animated series, which is the standard I hold Batman to. But I like the neon aesthetics in the Schumacher films the best. I liked Gotham better than the Nolan Batmen. But then Batman is my least favorite part of Batman.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally watched Shazam.

Got really mixed feelings on this film. It's a really weird blend of a kid's film (aimed at 13-15 year olds?) in terms of the writing and humor, but then it keeps throwing in dark/violent over the top stuff that would make me burst out laughing at how unexpected it was. Like, campy stupid looking demons that then perform this quick momentary bursts of extreme over-the-top violence like biting off a guy's head or other things I'll let you discover on your own. It's like Sam Raimi crossed with Eli Roth crossed with Tim Allen doping on some potent speedball dose, so the film seems dull-witted but somewhat amiable, then is continually peppered with bursts of insanity.

Basically Mark Strong and Zachary Levi (and I suppose Asher Angel) carry this film through sheer heart and commitment to the stupidity, so they're enjoyable to watch -- but man, the script/writing is just at best mediocre and at times really flat and terrible. Derivative, uncompelling, characters don't talk/act as normal people at times, and just unimaginative sequences.

(Why do writers suck so bad? Maybe if they were paid more, better writers would end up writing stuff? But now you just get the shitty guys writing for cheap?)

Like, I'll give it a marginal thumbs up but I'd only give it a 3/5 rating at best -- I found some of it amusing (in bursts) but wouldn't lose sleep over never seeing this film.

Considering the second one tanked, I can only imagine it is like Shazam 1, just without the charisma.

The Cat

Staff member
Finally watching the new D&D movie...Not bad for a magic eye of D&D trivia. I wish they didnt feel the need to try and shoe horn an awkward romance in.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally watching the new D&D movie...Not bad for a magic eye of D&D trivia. I wish they didnt feel the need to try and shoe horn an awkward romance in.
Did you mean the mage and the druid, or the barbarian and the bard, or the barbarian and the "halfling"?

I didn't really view the middle as romance, it was more like an abiding friendship and "chosen family unit."

Or maybe you meant the bard and his dead wife.

Or the paladin and his love for literalism.

The Cat

Staff member
Did you mean the mage and the druid, or the barbarian and the bard, or the barbarian and the "halfling"?

I didn't really view the middle as romance, it was more like an abiding friendship and "chosen family unit."

Or maybe you meant the bard and his dead wife.

Or the paladin and his love for literalism.

Yes.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Finally watched Shazam.

Considering the second one tanked, I can only imagine it is like Shazam 1, just without the charisma.
This reminds me:

My aunt came across the sequel in the electronic listings and read the name and muttered "oh yeah, sounds like a GREAT movie". It cracked me up at the time.

You kind of have me interested in the first one. Sounds like my kind of trainwreck.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This reminds me:

My aunt came across the sequel in the electronic listings and read the name and muttered "oh yeah, sounds like a GREAT movie". It cracked me up at the time.

You kind of have me interested in the first one. Sounds like my kind of trainwreck.
It definitely can be entertaining, I just wish it was only an hour long.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tomorrow, the Flash
Next month, Mission Impossible 7.
(Tickets are bought)

I don't think I'll see Elemental in the theater, unless I get bored when I'm in Richmond and decide to go.

My John Wick IV 4k arrived yesterday, and I received my Thelma & Louise Criterion 4k a few weeks back -- maybe I'll watch one of those this weekend since I have an extra day off. Been a LONG time since I've seen T&L.

I watched Princess Bride the other week, after some years of not seeing it. Again, it's one of those things that seems almost more popular with non-geeks. I like it, it's well-made, and I'm especially moved by Inigo Montoya's arc (Patinkin's performance can give me chills), and Andre the Giant is endearing. Lots of nice joke lines/snippets from the film too. But I don't feel a strong emotional connection to it; aside from what I just mentioned, there's not a lot of deep arcs. It's mostly banter and plotting, with a high-romance overtone.

Also rewatched The Prestige this past week. The 4k (oscar nominated cinematography) looks amazing, but really it's just exquisite writing and character work by the leads that sold me -- it all manages to be a puzzle box that (like a magic trick) obfuscates what's happening, which having this spiraling tale of bitterness and antagonism that develops understandably between two rivals, both with so much ambition they cannot let go and eventually spiral into a kind of ruin despite a bittersweet "happy" ending. Hugh Jackman just seems to deteriorate physically and emotionally throughout the film. Throw in Andy Serkis, David Bowie, and Rebecca Hall and you've got something really fascinating. (Scarjo isn't bad either, but she's very young in this picture and still developing as an actress.) This and Pan's Labyrinth still continue to resonate with me years after my first viewing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Has anyone already seen Asteroid City?
I have not, but will probably watch it on streaming / home video. I saw the trailers in the theater.

Read a few reviews, there's not really a consensus. The biggest complaint is that the film goes nowhere, but I assume like most Anderson films it's a definite triumph in tone and quirk.