• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NaNoWriMo 2017

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyone doing NaNoWriMo this year? Post your thoughts/schedules/commiserations/etc here.

I'm doing it for the first time and am pretty excited about it!

Link with info: National Novel Writing Month

Last edited:

Sky Blue

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm planning on participating, but I have a week left to decide what I even want to write... :thinking:

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My thoughts are that who in the fuck of satan decided to make this right before finals?

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'll try for the sake of trying.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure I'm even willing to commit to writing a short story in a month.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Every year, I attempt this with an in-progress story and lose. I am guaranteed to at least do this.

Also, this is the third year in a row with the same unfinished story, although this time it has actually gained some momentum lately as opposed to being perpetually stuck like it was.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yay @ all these replies!!

Update from me: I’m brainstorming my novel this week. I wanted it to be a psychological thriller but I’m concerned that it’s turning into a Lovecraftian fantasy. TBD.

My thoughts are that who in the fuck of satan decided to make this right before finals?
This is historically why I’ve never done it. Plus, I work in fundraising now, so year-end is always crazy.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Update from me: I’m brainstorming my novel this week. I wanted it to be a psychological thriller but I’m concerned that it’s turning into a Lovecraftian fantasy. TBD.

Sense we are sharing our novel premises, I wanted to do a novel about the power struggles of board members for a corporation after hiring a B class celebrity to endorse the product. The shtick is that the board members are based on "big bads" of various pop culture. So far, I've only worked about 45% of what I want the plot to be and only 3 of the 6 characters really defined.

As goofy as it sounds, the original premise was "What if Willy Wonka and the Wizard of Oz got in a fight?"

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Nothing wrong with that. :happy2: The original idea for mine was literally asking how "The Colour Out Of Space" would go over if it happened to a populous city.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyone doing NaNoWriMo this year? Post your thoughts/schedules/commiserations/etc here.

I'm doing it for the first time and am pretty excited about it!

I am considering it. I've heard that the first time is the easiest. That rings true because I managed to finish my draft during my first NaNoWriMo (a caper story set among art thieves that try to con each other out of a Rembrandt) but have failed in all later attempts. It's a mixture of excessive expectations ("This time it's not just for fun, I want to write something really good") and a crisis of purpose ("What's the point anyway? Come to think of it - what's the point of literature anyway? What's the point of anything?? Ahhhhhrrrrr!!!!").

I have an idea in the back of my mind that has been lingering there for years and I'm too scared to put it on paper because as long as it's just an idea it's not a failure ...yet. Stupid, I know. Basically, I want to combine an analysis of the essence of the intellectual, social and cultural developents of the first half of the 19th century with a riveting mystery plot. Oh, and probably slightly adjust my language and style to that era. I have two rough plot ideas, two alternative settings and a main character. The amount of historical research scares me. One solution would be to go all postmodern post-factual and mix research with contemporary modern sprinkles and intentionally give up on accuracy ("I meant to do that!"). So yeah, you might call that overambitious and underprepared!:D

This is historically why I’ve never done it. Plus, I work in fundraising now, so year-end is always crazy.

There is also Camp NaNoWriMo in June, IIRC.

Also, what's wrong with a Lovecraftian fantasy story, of that's what gets you excited enough to actually write something?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION], inspired by the strength of your personal resolve, I will fully commit to writing a short-story during National Novel Writing Month.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll write some poems or a play. I'm not a novel writing type of person.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
YAY [MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION] and [MENTION=22178]magpie[/MENTION]!
[MENTION=31348]Peter Deadpan[/MENTION] Info here: National Novel Writing Month

Also edited the OP to include link.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
While Falcarius has the time and likes the idea of giving it a go purely to see if he can actually do it,; he probably will not has he has no idea what to write about.:unsure:

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Count me in, although I still don't know wtf I'm actually going to write about :laugh:

I don't really have time, but as always, it'll be an exercise in overcoming perfectionism, plus this time sticking to schedules and be creative on command. All useful skills for my job.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's starting tomorrow.

I am not even remotely ready. :/

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah yes, something to do if I have more insomnia tonight.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm not prepared at all either. I think I will ditch my idea and just wing it.