• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is there a certain type that is attracted to religion and serving religious causes?

What types favor religion? Are there some that get really religious?

• Total voters

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't think it can be pinned down on types at all. I've been reading this notion that NFs or Fi-doms are more often religious, while NTs tend not to. But I myself am an Atheist (even calling myself agnostic would be a stretch), and an NF, as well as an E1. I have met a huge lot of Fi-doms and NFs in my lifetime and not one of them were religious. Not one! I know an ENTP E8 who is very religious, as well as her 23-year-old daughter, an ENTJ. My mother is an ISTJ and a strict Atheist. My dad and ENTP and agnostic. A former school-colleague of mine, an ISTJ, is very relglious, though. So what does that tell you?

It doesn't seem to be type-related.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
All of my types (so, 6, and ESFJ) are in the lead in the poll, but I've never been religious. :shrug:

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Jung said that introverts normally group their interests into "idea complexes." This can give introverts a mystical bent: That is, introverts encounter an idea in the outer world and see that it fits neatly into an interest of theirs. So they get in the habit of seeing individual ideas as bits and pieces of some pre-existing grander concept, such as a "flow of history," a mystical concept, a force or vibration underpinning the universe, etc. But really, it's just a question of them cherry-picking ideas that would be a good fit for some pre-existing "idea complex" of theirs. It's basically just confirmation bias.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily equate to religion. You can have a sense that there's some hidden "flow" to the universe without calling yourself religious. Conversely, you can be religious for reasons other than having "a mystic bent."

But I thought I would throw this idea out there because it's the only association that Jung made (in the book "Psychological Types," anyway) between type and religion.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
I like to study religions and symbols but I am nor religious at all.
I deep believe that everything can be explained by logic,science and reason just we don't know many things yet.
I mean if we did not learn from past then we can't have any future at all...
There is only a wheel which spins over and over again building false supremacy of mankind.
Live and prosper surrounded by idiots. :(

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I like to study religions and symbols but I am nor religious at all.
I deep believe that everything can be explained by logic,science and reason just we don't know many things yet.
I mean if we did not learn from past then we can't have any future at all...

Other than the moral lessons one can learn, knowledge is infinite. There always comes a time where humanity questions the truth of what they know,of what they reall know versus what they think they know. I humbly take part of the journey of erudition, with the conviction that my awareness will expand, maybe in a manner that is not related to knowledge, rather, a state of mind that is sollicited in stillness, reception and surrender.

The only knowledge humans can evoke hubris from is the knowledge manufactured through the fabric of perceptive reality and ego. We really don't know anything.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Other than the moral lessons one can learn, knowledge is infinite. There always comes a time where humanity questions the truth of what they know,of what they reall know versus what they think they know. I humbly take part of the journey of erudition, with the conviction that my awareness will expand, maybe in a manner that is not related to knowledge, rather, a state of mind that is sollicited in stillness, reception and surrender.

The only knowledge humans can evoke hubris from is the knowledge manufactured through the fabric of perceptive reality and ego. We really don't know anything.

Knowledge is not infinite. Everything what is defined must have the end. Only what is matter is perception of being. We don't know what is reality because reality is objective criteria and not subjective perception.. We don't know where we are. We called it universe because it is maximum of our perception. Bacteria could think that it lives in paradise but only thing where it lives is another organism in symbiosis or like a parasite. Now connect humans and Earth! Our senses creates what we called reality. Universes are not different. They are all same because everything is part of one reality. We just experience one of many levels of game. ;)

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I would like hard statistics on this topic. I don't want to generalize. I would fathom that all types have some members of a religious persuasion. Offhand I know the 'SJ's are very duty minded and give credence to government, churches, schools and institutions.

rav3n

High Si users aka SFJs and STJs. Even tert Si users like INTPs can lean that way, especially the lost ones.

Suaimhneas

It would vary with every individual and cannot be generalized to MBTI types, but in my opinion the most likely would be those with a preference for Si and Fe: Those who tend to value and adhere to tradition or expected views/beliefs of the large group. I would think least likely would be NT types: Types that enjoy abstract theory and formulating new ideas as well as using logic instead of subjective values and feelings. I also think NP types would be open to considering varying religious beliefs as well.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
The people who are religious probably have a brain that is dominated by emotions.

j.c.t.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I doubt it's type-related. To think so would imply you have some sort of constructivist view on religion, or one that does not take actual faith into consideration.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think any type can get into it. While some more easily find safety in its structure, others might find usefulness in its wisdom. Some take it with a grain of salt, others literally.

I for one, never thought of religion/gods as real, but a tool that has many universal applications. While many are quick to point out its flaws, there are also many strengths that are often overlooked. Disregarding actual belief, religion offers community, good will, and positive experiences that brings out the best in people.

Though for some, it reveals their insecurity and desire for control and structure, in their terrible lives so they can pretend to have worth.

Whats always fascinated me about western culture, is the obsession with other religions but Christianity. Where they think everything is better (grass is greener effect), and dont see the mysticism in theie own culture and are quick to discard it. If you like one religion, you should be able to like them all.

Mole

Permabanned
I think any type can get into it. While some more easily find safety in its structure, others might find usefulness in its wisdom. Some take it with a grain of salt, others literally. I for one, never thought of religion/gods as real, but a tool that has many universal applications. While many are quick to point out its flaws, there are also many strengths that are often overlooked. Disregarding actual belief, religion offers community, good will, and positive experiences that brings out the best in people. Though for some, it reveals their insecurity and desire for control and structure, in their terrible lives so they can pretend to have worth. Whats always fascinated me about western culture, is the obsession with other religions but Christianity. Where they think everything is better (grass is greener effect), and dont see the mysticism in theie own culture and are quick to discard it. If you like one religion, you should be able to like them all.
My difficulty is believing any particular God created the Universe.

I find it hard to believe the Trinity created the Universe, or the desert God of Arabia or. Zeus, Brahmin, or even the Rainbow Serpent.

Am I missing something?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My difficulty is believing any particular God created the Universe.

I find it hard to believe the Trinity created the Universe, or the desert God of Arabia or. Zeus, Brahmin, or even the Rainbow Serpent.

Am I missing something?

You do not need to, to respect the universe and have a spiritual connection to it.

Mole

Permabanned
You do not need to, to respect the universe and have a spiritual connection to it.

I have a spiritual connection with other people, and the Universe is not a person.

It is a category mistake to think of the Universe as a person.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a spiritual connection with other peopl, and the Universe is not a person. It is w category mistake to think of the Universe as a person.

Spirituality isnt limited to personhood. Understanding, and thinking something is beautiful can be spiritual. You cannot tell me you look at the stars and feel absolutely nothing.

Mole

Permabanned
Spirituality isnt limited to personhood. Understanding, and thinking something is beautiful can be spiritual. You cannot tell me you look at the stars and feel absolutely nothing.

When I look at the stars, I don't feel I am looking at a person.

However astrology teaches us the stars influence us like a person. And astrology is our Ur-Religion on which all other religions are based. So no wonder we personalise the Universe.

raskol

Whereas any type can be religious, I think ISFJ takes the top slot due to being haunted by an overbearing INTJ superego.