• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is it OK to be angry at God?

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, how come atheists can't just let christians have their space to discuss things? I mean, if atheists don't like christians forcibly coming into their space or attempting to convert them, isn't this all a bit hypocritical? And I say this as someone with no religious affiliation.

gromit

likes this
I feel like I go back and forth about whether there is a God (or something higher) or not.

Currently more in a believing phase of my life.

And I think, if there is a God, then that God is certainly big enough to handle all of our feelings, even anger.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it is important to acknowledge the anger and why it occurs, more important than worrying if you should even feel it. You do feel it, and suppressing it will not help.

In a song of Asaph (Psalm 73), the Psalmist is basically angry at God. He doesn't understand why God has allowed wicked people to prosper. It looks to him as if the good people suffer and God is not doing anything about it. After expressing his anger and his ambivalence at expressing it, he meditates on the future promises from God, namely, to bring justice. This is inspired word, showing it is natural to have these feelings and not offensive to God.

In addition to mediating on the future, you can meditate on what has happened in the past (Biblical and personal) to understand how God acts and what qualities these display. There is a lot of misconception concerning justice and mercy from God, especially in the "old testament".

Also consider where problems or disappointments really come from. Are they truly from God? Does God fail to act or he is patient? Does God not act to prevent suffering because he is cruel, or does he allow us free will and the consequences of it? Does God not answer our prayers because he doesn't want to or can't or because he sees the long-term better than we do? Reconciliation with God means humbly acknowledging the need for his support and direction to live a happy life, but people insist otherwise, and he let's them have their way. Working through why you feel angry is a good first step to reconciling with anyone. This can help to redirect anger and come to view God as a support and guide that empowers you to deal with what angers you, not someone to be angry at.

Ojian

MBTI Type
INTP
Please go and read Habakkuk. Habakkuk was a prophet that was discouraged and upset with life for a time, and he complained to God about it. There are a few lessons in there, but one of the interesting things to note is that God had his expressions recorded and included in the scriptures.

Lark

Please go and read Habakkuk. Habakkuk was a prophet that was discouraged and upset with life for a time, and he complained to God about it. There are a few lessons in there, but one of the interesting things to note is that God had his expressions recorded and included in the scriptures.

He's not the only one, most of the prophets were like that.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're acting like a bully. This is a Christian thread. Christianity is faith-based. You're a smart guy and I'm confident you understand this is a Christian thread and Christianity is faith-based.
Is it? The OP mentioned only "believers", not "Christian believers". There are plenty of faiths to believe in other than Christianity. Some of them might have quite different takes on the place of anger in one's relationship with God, which might be of interest to OP or others reading.

cutyjess

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
1W9
God often gets the blame for everything bad that happens in our lives, when if we could only see the bigger picture, about what He is actually doing for us, we would be praising Him. During the hard times, when nothing is going right, we should remember that it's not about us, it's about Him, and I agree with [MENTION=20075]LonestarCowgirl[/MENTION], our focus should be on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. Let praise never be far from our lips. [Paul said, "I have learned in whatsoever state I am in therewith to be content." The Amplified Bible describes being content as "satisfied to the point where you are not disturbed or disquieted". It doesn't say satisfied to the point where you don't want change, but satisfied for now until God brings the change.]

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5643]EcK[/MENTION], this thread was for believers... your posts have been unwelcome and off topic.

If you want to make a thread for your fellow atheists to discuss their relationship with a God that don't believe in, you are more than welcome to do so.

Your continued posts on this thread are very unwelcome.

In his defense this is not in the 'Support and Advice' forum. Unless a thread is in that forum or your personal blog there are no restrictions on who can participate or what opinions could be shared on it. So although this is a thread based on believing in god people who don't are welcome to participate in it.

But you can ask a madmin to move this thread to that forum.

Anyway, this year I have yelled at God at various times, which is pretty fair given the challenges I have in my life.

If I am not mistaken there are a few things God never forgives and one of them is what you've done.

"And so I tell you, people will be forgiven every sin and blasphemy. But the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."

LonestarCowgirl

Is it? The OP mentioned only "believers", not "Christian believers". There are plenty of faiths to believe in other than Christianity. Some of them might have quite different takes on the place of anger in one's relationship with God, which might be of interest to OP or others reading.

True. My comments were directed at a specific atheist member. As I've said before, it doesn't matter to me who you love as long as you're respectful. If you worship another God and want to participate, go for it. The OP was clearly directed at Christians and if the Bible scripture wasn't a sufficient clue as to what he meant by believer, then more importantly, here's clarification from the OPP of what's unwelcome...

[MENTION=5643]EcK[/MENTION], this thread was for believers... your posts have been unwelcome and off topic.

If you want to make a thread for your fellow atheists to discuss their relationship with a God that don't believe in, you are more than welcome to do so.

LonestarCowgirl

God often gets the blame for everything bad that happens in our lives, when if we could only see the bigger picture, about what He is actually doing for us, we would be praising Him. During the hard times, when nothing is going right, we should remember that it's not about us, it's about Him, and I agree with [MENTION=20075]LonestarCowgirl[/MENTION], our focus should be on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. Let praise never be far from our lips. [Paul said, "I have learned in whatsoever state I am in therewith to be content." The Amplified Bible describes being content as "satisfied to the point where you are not disturbed or disquieted". It doesn't say satisfied to the point where you don't want change, but satisfied for now until God brings the change.]
Amen! Welcome to the forum. :hug:

If I am not mistaken there are a few things God never forgives and one of them is what you've done.
Yes, you're mistaken. I feel so tired, I'll have to come back to this another time. <3

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
True. My comments were directed at a specific atheist member. As I've said before, it doesn't matter to me who you love as long as you're respectful. If you worship another God and want to participate, go for it. The OP was clearly directed at Christians and if the Bible scripture wasn't a sufficient clue as to what he meant by believer, then more importantly, here's clarification from the OPP of what's unwelcome...
How about if I worship the same God, in a different way? The OP member is clearly a Christian, but any direction of the thread to Christians only was far from clear. The Bible scripture is an indication of the OP's own beliefs. I would hardly expect a Christian to quote the Quran or the Bhagavad Gita in describing a question related to his own faith. One cannot assume from this, however, that he would object to replies that referenced such other inspirational sources, or shared advice from walking quite different spiritual paths. Sometimes "out of the box" thinking is just the ticket.

^^ See - no mention of Christianity here, either, just believers vs. atheists.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, you're mistaken. I feel so tired, I'll have to come back to this another time. <3

Until then, I and God shall both patiently wait to see how you turn this bible verse around to prevent the OP from going to hell.

LonestarCowgirl

How about if I worship the same God, in a different way? The OP member is clearly a Christian, but any direction of the thread to Christians only was far from clear. The Bible scripture is an indication of the OP's own beliefs. I would hardly expect a Christian to quote the Quran or the Bhagavad Gita in describing a question related to his own faith. One cannot assume from this, however, that he would object to replies that referenced such other inspirational sources, or shared advice from walking quite different spiritual paths. Sometimes "out of the box" thinking is just the ticket.

^^ See - no mention of Christianity here, either, just believers vs. atheists.

You've completely misunderstood me! Please reread my posts and try to follow the context of what's being said.

LonestarCowgirl

Until then, I and God shall both patiently wait to see how you turn this bible verse around to prevent the OP from going to hell.
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is simply unbelief. [MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION] is not an unbeliever.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You've completely misunderstood me! Please reread my posts and try to follow the context of what's being said.
I have already done so. Please specify where I am incorrect. Did I miss some mention of "Christian" that the OP perhaps edited out later??

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is simply unbelief. [MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION] is not an unbeliever.

Blasphemy is not limited to non believers.

Blasphemy is the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for (a) God(s), to religious or holy persons or things, or toward something considered sacred or inviolable. Some religions consider blasphemy as a religious crime.

And by the definition of it, Searchingforpeace is a blasphemer.

LonestarCowgirl

Blasphemy is not limited to non believers.

And by the definition of it, Searchingforpeace is a blasphemer.

I'm not lying to you. There's context and a bigger picture to consider. In this case, the truth will set you free: there's no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus. I will get into context tomorrow. Good night.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I actually was looking at believers of all faiths, but didn't care for the forum's number one atheist jumping in and doing his games.....

We did have a Muslim response earlier.

Plus the "Christian" understanding of God can be varied. We have those who believe in the three in one Trinity and those whose Trinity is a separate Father and Son and Holy Spirit working together.... and other variations according to the various sects.

Until recently (as in within the lifetime of my father), many Protestantfaiths excluded Catholics as Christian, let alone the controversy when Romney was running and Huckabee tried to use religion as a tool to exclude him from Christianity even though he was a member of a church with Jesus Christ in the name....

The original discussion referenced two Jewish men.....

I thought it would be interesting to see the thoughts of believers in general, independent of sect or religion....

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In his defense this is not in the 'Support and Advice' forum. Unless a thread is in that forum or your personal blog there are no restrictions on who can participate or what opinions could be shared on it. So although this is a thread based on believing in god people who don't are welcome to participate in it.

But you can ask a madmin to move this thread to that forum.

Off topic trolling can be limited.....

Haha, so lacking in understanding. Since almost every old testament prophet argue and complained to God.....

Abraham arguing with God over Sodom was classic.... how many good people do you need to prevent God from destroying a very wicked city....100, 50, 20, a single family?

Blasphemy is a bit different. Your misunderstanding is understandable.

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Off topic trolling can be limited.....

Haha, so lacking in understanding. Since almost every old testament prophet argue and complained to God.....

Abraham arguing with God over Sodom was classic.... how many good people do you need to prevent God from destroying a very wicked city....100, 50, 20, a single family?

Blasphemy is a bit different. Your misunderstanding is understandable.

How is the wife?