• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP who is mechanically inclined

INTP!

MBTI Type
INTP
I've been pretty sure I'm an INTP for a few years. If I read an overall description of an INTP, it just sounds like me and close friends agree. But I'm naturally good at mechanical things. That's not to say I am inclined to pick up a tool and work on something. But if there is something to be assembled or something mechanical that needs figuring out, I can figure it out a lot easier than most people.

For example, on Christmas, I was at a large family gathering opening presents. There was a tricycle to be put together and I kind of hung back watching the engineers of the family try to figure it out. 3 engineers couldn't do it. I felt like I shouldn't embarrass them, by stepping in and doing what seemed easy or obvious. But after a few mins, they seemed to want to give up. So I tried and attached the parts with the tool in a few seconds. I "see" the tools and parts moving like a movie and then just do what I just saw. But I'm an INTP. So not sure how that make sense. If I were an ISTP, then I'd be up and doing things much more, right? Just wondering how or why and INTP can be good at mechanical things, but not actually want to spend much time working on things. I like to think about tools, machines and how things are made and figure out new ways of making things. But I don't actually want to do the work.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
What you described sounds totally compatible with being an INTP, or an ISTP. Hell, I'm an ISFP and I've actually experienced something similar to your family and the tricycle - our family's ancient lawnmower broke, and two different handymen couldn't figure out how to fit it back together and just strapped the bagger back on with shock cord. I figured out how it fit properly in about 30 seconds.

Ti is naturally inclined towards deconstruction and figuring out how things work. Most descriptions of it just aren't that good: most Ti descriptions are actually an INTP's Ti-Ne, and many ISTP descriptions are better descriptions of ESTPs, Se-doms (in fact, I've been reading Kiersey lately. Oh my god his ISTP description is awful. It's literally just a quiet, solitary ESTP). Ti deconstructs and seeks logical order; this can apply to mechanical systems as well as the more stereotypical philosophical ones. Ne or Se could back this up well. If anything, I think the "look at it and see how it fits together" might be more N than S. S might be more "take it apart and see how it works", or even trial and error to figure out the whole system.

INTP!

MBTI Type
INTP
What you described sounds totally compatible with being an INTP, or an ISTP. Hell, I'm an ISFP and I've actually experienced something similar to your family and the tricycle - our family's ancient lawnmower broke, and two different handymen couldn't figure out how to fit it back together and just strapped the bagger back on with shock cord. I figured out how it fit properly in about 30 seconds.

Ti is naturally inclined towards deconstruction and figuring out how things work. Most descriptions of it just aren't that good: most Ti descriptions are actually an INTP's Ti-Ne, and many ISTP descriptions are better descriptions of ESTPs, Se-doms (in fact, I've been reading Kiersey lately. Oh my god his ISTP description is awful. It's literally just a quiet, solitary ESTP). Ti deconstructs and seeks logical order; this can apply to mechanical systems as well as the more stereotypical philosophical ones. Ne or Se could back this up well. If anything, I think the "look at it and see how it fits together" might be more N than S. S might be more "take it apart and see how it works", or even trial and error to figure out the whole system.

Ok, thanks, interesting. I don't take things apart to see how they work. That's all in my head. Actually, I did that as a child, but stopped. I try to understand how it all works and see it all working together. Then I see what is wrong or what needs to be done. It is often something simple and easy. But I guess the hard part for most is the overall understanding. Once you know what to do, the doing is the easy part. And quite boring, except to see that you are right.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you use Ti-Ne, but are mechanically inclined that doesn't make you an ISTP. You're still an INTP.

INTP!

MBTI Type
INTP
If you use Ti-Ne, but are mechanically inclined that doesn't make you an ISTP. You're still an INTP.

Ok. I suspected that I have some things in common with istps than would be expected for an intp. I've read that intps are not normally mechanically inclined or interested in tools, machines or how things ate made. But I'm not like an istp who will often be found doing things rather than analyzing.

My father was probably a S and since a very young age I was assisting him with things from working on the yard to remodeling projects. Maybe that's why I'm more into that kind of thing compared to other intps.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can relate to the OP. I am not a "handy" person but I am good at deconstructing objects in my head to understand the underlying mechanical principles.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ok. I suspected that I have some things in common with istps than would be expected for an intp. I've read that intps are not normally mechanically inclined or interested in tools, machines or how things ate made. But I'm not like an istp who will often be found doing things rather than analyzing.

My father was probably a S and since a very young age I was assisting him with things from working on the yard to remodeling projects. Maybe that's why I'm more into that kind of thing compared to other intps.

Actually ISTP's also have issues with engaging in the situation. Both types are Ti-doms so they can both be found analyzing the situation too.

IndigoViolet11

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
By practically doing something to figure out the idea of how things work (S) and by observing how things work and figure out how to do something (N) can arrive to the same conclusion.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
If my cousin is any indicator, having money and diligence makes for an engineering degree... not mechanical inclination. #shade

I don't see why not, T-dom and all.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's no rule that INTPs cannot be hands-on and mechanically inclined.

INTPs and ISTPs sharing the same dominant mode of thinking, I tend to think of the two in terms of architect vs. engineer, respectively. Obviously, there can be overlap and exceptions.

D'Ascoyne

I've known several INTPs who are mechanically-inclined! One of the best gifts I ever received was a starter toolkit from my INTP friend.

September0861

MBTI Type
INTP
I would say I'm very mechanically inclined, though I'm an INTP. Admittedly, it has a lot to do with life experience beyond my natural interest in systems as a whole. Admittedly, it's more of an inclination to theory, but I have absolutely no problem tearing into an engine to figure out if something went wrong.