• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you define "preference"?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Seems to be a poignant question at present.

I was just thinking that there's a lot of difference between a present preference, a general preference, preference in regards to which one is favourite, preference in regards to which one if is most commonly used.. the list is quite long.

So anyway how do you interpret this most central concept to the MBTI?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Seems to be a poignant question at present.

I was just thinking that there's a lot of difference between a present preference, a general preference, preference in regards to which one is favourite, preference in regards to which one if is most commonly used.. the list is quite long.

The definition of consciousness precludes choice.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
The definiton of consciousness precludes choice.
There is always choice oh architect. That is why we have the one.

You do see how the word "preference" can be perverted though right? With some people it seems to be "I prefer this functions description, ergo it's my preferred function" whilst others analyse from the standpoint of "I do this a lot and that seems very Xx ish so I must be an XXXX". I just figured that since preference pervades all levels of the MBTI that it warranted more investigation.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
There is always choice oh architect. That is why we have the one.

You do see how the word "preference" can be perverted though right? With some people it seems to be "I prefer this functions description, ergo it's my preferred function" whilst others analyse from the standpoint of "I do this a lot and that seems very Xx ish so I must be an XXXX". I just figured that since preference pervades all levels of the MBTI that it warranted more investigation.
The choice is already there.
The beginning is second hand.

To see is to zero the irrelevant.
The outcome precedes the election.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
The choice is already there.
The beginning is second hand.
The sun is already there but your perception of it (your beginning) is extremely important to the accuracy of your outcome and it's relevance on a larger stage.

I'm not sure which one of us is being obtuse. The question seems perfectly logical to me.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'd describe it as: which one naturally comes out first when you act/react in a healthy way?

It's not necessarily the one we like best, it's not necessarily the one we use most (because we could be stuck in an unhealthy pattern for some reason, for example), it's not necessarily the one that appeals to us most. Those are all potential pointers as to our true preference (especially if they all point to the same function/letter), but they don't define it.

JMO, of course.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'd describe it as: which one naturally comes out first when you act/react in a healthy way?

It's not necessarily the one we like best, it's not necessarily the one we use most (because we could be stuck in an unhealthy pattern for some reason, for example), it's not necessarily the one that appeals to us most. Those are all potential pointers as to our true preference (especially if they all point to the same function/letter), but they don't define it.

JMO, of course.
I love that bit. Very true :nice:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
:doh: What's with people anyway.
"I prefer this functions description"
I know you would never do that. People do that?! :shock:

The "preference" as used in MBTT refers to a person's natural, most automatic tendency.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Preference is unconscious and as Wandering said, we do it naturally. The fact that I prefer to Ti-Se is based on my genetic who I am. All this system has done is to define what I knew naturally. Following up on Wandering's comments, we get stuck in a rut or become unhealthy and mistype our preferences. I would say that the average person who was healthy would most likely not seek out such questions.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I would say that the average person who was healthy would most likely not seek out such questions.

Yeh, but threads like this sure can make you think about what you do.:shock:

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I would say that the average person who was healthy would most likely not seek out such questions.
I disagree. I'd say that some types are naturally inclined to soul-searching, whie others are not, and that's fine.

If you think long, you think wrong!
Spoken like a true Se :devil: !!

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
The "preference" as used in MBTT refers to a person's natural, most automatic tendency.

I think that's a good way of putting it. With this definition, the axiom that one cannot change one's MBTI type would seem to remain true. One cannot change that which is most natural for one, but one may develop other functions such that...

Wait a second. I wonder what definition of "preferences" would support the axiom that one cannot change one's type?

For if the definition of preference is simply that which is most natural for an individual, could an individual not develop other functions such that one day, other functions became as natural as the first set, if not more natural? Or is it the law that one cannot develop use of unnatural functions to the point that they dominate the orginal dominants?

Anyway, Zergling, I was just thinking of starting a topic like this! I really was. Except I didn't want to focus the discussion on MBTI (in fact, I was going to mention that people should avoid talking about MBTI unless they could be informed and interesting, because sometimes I get tired of hearing about MBTI), but rather on wants in general and the extent to which wants can be coerced, manipulated and conditioned.

I have long, long thought that people can't choose their sexuality. The desire is there before they even realize it. My hunger for men certainly was. I still believe that, but I also wonder how much one can condition oneself, through exploration and thought, to like or appreciate something that one previously did not, or to avoid or dislike something that one previously wanted?

What does distinguish sexual responses from the responses one's mind and body have to, for example, music? If one can learn to appreciate classical music where before they cast aspersions on it...

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Anyway, Zergling, I was just thinking of starting a topic like this! I really was. Except I didn't want to focus the discussion on MBTI (in fact, I was going to mention that people should avoid talking about MBTI unless they could be informed and interesting, because sometimes I get tired of hearing about MBTI), but rather on wants in general and the extent to which wants can be coerced, manipulated and conditioned.

Go for it! I tend to shut up when discussions only concentrate on the MBTI perspective. Of course, you might want to consider that.:D

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Anyway, Zergling, I was just thinking of starting a topic like this! I really was.

When did I enter into this? (Or is it just a typo?)

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
When did I enter into this? (Or is it just a typo?)
Xander, Zergling... Mempy IS an INFP, you know ;) :tongue: :D

Love you Mempy :hug: , just making fun of some INFPs' apparent inability to remember people's names correctly, or even who they are actually talking to :D