• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

His Dark Materials

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
AKA The Golden Compass / Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass
His Dark Materials - Wikipedia
His Dark Materials (TV series) - Wikipedia

I remember really enjoying the second book the most.

They tried to make this into a film about 12-15 years ago with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig as the adult leads (now replaced by Ruth Wilson and James McAvoy) and Dafne Keen this time as Lyra, the girl lead. (She's best known as X-23 from "Logan".) One of the huge problems of the film (which couldn't compete well with other fantasy films at the time, or maybe the market had been mostly oversaturated by Jackson and similar) was that the anti-religious elements were watered down so much that those critical of religion hated the adaptation, while they weren't removed enough to please the pro-religious viewers. It also didn't do as well as expected critically (from a purely story POV).

This version of the story (which might also benefit from having the length of time allowed by a TV show, versus a 2-hour film) is seemingly more on track. I have read reviewers who said it is both fantasy-immersive while also dealing with the darker elements of the storyline, rather than dumbing things down or abandoning more complex themes in the books.

This releases on Nov 4 in the USA.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How do the armored polar bears fit in?

There are two things I know about this series: it's the anti-Narnia, and there are armored polar bears.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
AKA The Golden Compass / Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass
His Dark Materials - Wikipedia
His Dark Materials (TV series) - Wikipedia

I remember really enjoying the second book the most.

They tried to make this into a film about 12-15 years ago with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig as the adult leads (now replaced by Ruth Wilson and James McAvoy) and Dafne Keen this time as Lyra, the girl lead. (She's best known as X-23 from "Logan".) One of the huge problems of the film (which couldn't compete well with other fantasy films at the time, or maybe the market had been mostly oversaturated by Jackson and similar) was that the anti-religious elements were watered down so much that those critical of religion hated the adaptation, while they weren't removed enough to please the pro-religious viewers. It also didn't do as well as expected critically (from a purely story POV).

This version of the story (which might also benefit from having the length of time allowed by a TV show, versus a 2-hour film) is seemingly more on track. I have read reviewers who said it is both fantasy-immersive while also dealing with the darker elements of the storyline, rather than dumbing things down or abandoning more complex themes in the books.

This releases on Nov 4 in the USA.

His work is amazing. and its so interesting how although it is very anti religion (particularly organized religion) the representation of spirit and the mysticism of simply being comes through, gorgeous exploration into so many concepts through stories.

i look forward to the TV series.

the introduction of James MacVoy make it equally delicious

Hellena Handbasket

Daywalker
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did my happy dance when I heard this earlier.
There's so much to unpack here that I think the TV format will allow for that a movie format will not.
The film pissed me off in that, while I'm not anti religious (somewhat the opposite in fact), watering down the message stripped the story of what made it interesting. The magic and the mysticism and the philosophical existentialism.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Same.

i should reread the series now that it's been some years. I remember being disappointed a bit with the last book, I felt like it took a little too easy pot shots at religion (I'm for skeptical challenge and don't really like zealotry on either side of the spectrum), but maybe I would have a different opinion at this point. I like having fantasy books from various perspectives.

Anyway, this is one of those efforts I really think benefits more from a TV treatment than reduction to a single cinematic film. Probably one of the things I've been most (albeit cautiously) excited about since mid-summer.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Same.

i should reread the series now that it's been some years. I remember being disappointed a bit with the last book, I felt like it took a little too easy pot shots at religion (I'm for skeptical challenge and don't really like zealotry on either side of the spectrum), but maybe I would have a different opinion at this point. I like having fantasy books from various perspectives.

Anyway, this is one of those efforts I really think benefits more from a TV treatment than reduction to a single cinematic film. Probably one of the things I've been most (albeit cautiously) excited about since mid-summer.

I definitely agree with all that. While I'm solidly post-evangelical (for obvious reasons), I don't find anti-religious zealotry to be a helpful frame of reference. I really liked the first two books in the trilogy, but found the third book like being beaten about the face.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw the opener. Daphne Keen and James McAvoy are pretty decent. Ruth Wilson only shows up in the latter part, so I'm still trying to get a grasp of her -- very different feel from the Nicole Kidman cast for the 2006 movie.

It's been so many years since I have read the book, so I'm trying to piece everything together again. I think one of the things I remember most about Lyra from the book is simply her strong-headedness and Keen has that down easily. (Will, who shows up later is more thoughtful and reserved, I think. Plus, Lyra's daemon Pan is more the "think it through" rationalist.)

I enjoyed it but am not resonating with it yet. It will take a little time to build some momentum.