• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Have you ever defined your core values?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't say that I have. I think there are many traits/values that are core to me and I'm very consistent in how I interact with the world and display them, or it's important to me that I am, but I haven't really listed them out, and am not totally sure how I'd do that.

One thing a coworker told me a little while ago was that I'm very 'moral' (her word, I wouldn't have ever described myself that way)- she used it in the specific context that I'm nice but I don't ever kiss ass. She was contrasting how I interact with customers vs her. She'd mentioned something along those lines previously, being more broad in just referencing being consistent, not hypocritical.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
live and let live (as opposed to live and let die, which sounds a bit mean but the title song is now stuck in my head :doh: )

always try to improve the things that you touch

if uncertain, ask

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Justice/Fairness
Truth/Honesty
Loyalty >>>>extremely important
Freedom >>>>extremely important
Courage/Resilience
Kindness/Compassion
Curiosity/Positive outlook

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
mama told me everything that happened was part of god's plan
so at night when I talk to him I got my gun in my hand

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you ever defined your core values?

Yes
Do you think you could reduce them to five?

Maybe, but I wouldn't like it. I think I have about 9.

What makes those values more important than any others?

Such a good question.

What makes a seed become a peach tree?

Does it influence your decision making on a daily basis or not?

*sighs*

I wish that it would more than it does. But I've been working on being more aware of it.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Have you ever defined your core values? Do you think you could reduce them to five? What makes those values more important than any others? Does it influence your decision making on a daily basis or not?

I don't have any. Some INFP I am eh?

I'm sure you could abstract some from my life, but you'd have to wait until my sequence is finished to minimize the possible range of those values (and it'll still be infinite, but a smaller infinite), and have a well-defined 'me' to generalize from. Seems like a waste of effort.

Pretty sure a major one is: "Be anxious in all things" or "be skeptical of everything that doesn't matter".

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By value do u meam things we like? ok heres the list:

1. Eatinh (with my friends)
2. Sharing joy (wit my friends)
3. Playing wit my dog
4. Being true to myself by not doing tje drugs
5. Seeing my cups half full cus the woeld is full of sunshine

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you ever defined your core values? Do you think you could reduce them to five? What makes those values more important than any others? Does it influence your decision making on a daily basis or not?

Only 1: Improve the net welfare of society.

I'm apathetic about that now because nobody listens to me or let me help them. I'm reduced to just blindly seeking pleasure, though I usually avoid hurting others. I will not try to help others because there is no point.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
authenticity --> realness is most important
compassion --> caring, especially thru the 5 As, is the basis for healthy relationships with others and with the world more broadly
sharing/intimacy/trust/connection/togetherness --> i don't know what i'm looking for here, but quality of togetherness is this like healthy ocean or amazing tonic; oh yeah, i guess the word i'm looking for is love. kind of a womb for betterness to grow.
curiosity/play --> having a mind is exciting, and it's where we get to re-write the rules of time and space within ourselves; possibility is one of the greatest resources there ever could be. i also just love cartooning as a metaphor for a fully engaged mind. why live in only one space at once?
oomph/passion/challenge --> "follow your bliss." --joseph campbell. there's something about the mountain, being in the fire where the most alive volatile conflicts within a person lie, and just appreciating exponents and acceleration. intensity wakes you up by demanding full expression and commitment, where part of you is willing to die for it.

i think i have others too. i really value connection, i think the shift to a needs perspective in really deep empathy just kind of taps the most concentrated healing power that exists (which is one of the best feeling-experiences possible), i value truth-seeking as a process and part of a reason for being, and i really really want fairness whenever possible, which seems different than justice in a way i can't define.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Only 1: Improve the net welfare of society.

I'm apathetic about that now because nobody listens to me or let me help them. I'm reduced to just blindly seeking pleasure, though I usually avoid hurting others. I will not try to help others because there is no point.

Just a thought: by implication of your complaints, your version of improving society involves society doing what you say. This is an excellent example of good intentions being the bricks on the road to hell. You (nor any human being) is capable of knowing what is best (or even better) for society. Not that we aren't allowed our opinions, not that we don't have a good idea what a few pieces of the puzzle are. But it's the height of arrogance to assume that we understand the 100,000 or 300,000,000 or 7,000,000,000 other people around us well enough to know what is best for them in all cases. By the way, I don't mean "best" in an abstract handwaving sense: that's easy. I mean down to brass tacks actually what actions need to take place and how they might be caused/allowed to take place.

Want to improve society? Love and care for the people around you. It works a lot better than giving them good advice. Anyway, that's what I've learned. (And I'm an INTJ - I LOVE to give good advice and explain to people how to do things better. Sometimes that works and is OK, but loving and caring for people is far more effective.)

I guess that's one of my core values. But I had to discover it over time. I didn't start out with it.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. social harmony(except in debates - no holds barred)
2. not become a drug abuser/alcoholic
3. self enlightenment
4. share my insights with the world

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I live life, knowing every moment would bring about something different, something meaningful and possibly something that would shake up my core values. As such, I decided to discard them and let the experience transform me.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I may have already said this in this thread in a different way, but be careful what you do in the name of doing what's right. That's a value of mine, I think.

Raskolnikov felt sick
but he couldn't say why
when he saw his face reflected
in his victim's twinkling eye
Some things you'll do for money
some you'll do for fun
but the things you do for love are gonna come back to you one by one

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think I could if I tried. This is actually how I distinguished myself as an INTP rather than an INFP or INTJ. Those types both tend to have core values that they are completely aware of. The only word I can think of that describes my general outlook is "critical." Criticism isn't a value, though; it's a way of perceiving values.

I suppose if I had to pick something I'd say contrast. I'm naturally inclined to question and challenge the views of those around me. I ended up with such unique views not because they come from within, but because I get so fed up with the notion of "common sense" and "objective morality" that my mind just kinda says, "f*** it, I'm going to disagree with that."

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
To expand on my monosyllabic response; I don't think my values can be defined so solidly.

For me it would mean claiming I've reached a set stage of development that is defined by the immutability of values I hold; which would just be dishonest.

There is always learning to be done and new information that changes my perspectives and paradigms. How could it be any other way?