• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

External Value System?

indigo_skies

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
9w1
Often times when I've read about Fi vs Fe, it usually involves something about Fi being based on an "internal value system", while Fe is based on more of an "external value system". What exactly is meant by "external" value system?

Here's a personal example - I am a very devout Catholic. I accept all the doctrines and teachings of the church, and that is the essence of my value system. While I did initially question things, after extensive research and hearing testimonies from other people, I came to the conclusion that it is true, and I am very loyal to it's traditions. Also, to me, morals and truths are objective, not subjective. I believe in a universal moral code that applies to all people. I am completely against the mindset of "moral relativism", that morals vary depending on the person. So would that be considered more of an external value system, or an internal one?

Just looking for a little clarification here.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi and Fe are usually instinctive ways of looking at things. Without being too explicit, I'll say that Fe looks outside itself at the group as a source of how to interact and places weight on others in their behavior patterns, Fi goes by inner instinct and tends to look first at the value to self of a particular idea/system. Both approaches have strengths and weaknesses.

Religious systems in how they have been codified and reproduce themselves are typically Fe-style systems -- there tends to be an emphasis on group responsibility and interdependence and the beliefs are standardized/codified. Fi-style systems tend to be much more based on the individual and how they relate to the world and responsibility and truth is found internally. Both approaches can impact how people treat other people and themselves.

As far as your particular situation, it kind of depends on the process you used to evaluate the external system and what kind of weight you place on it. People are complex, and even people who start from an internal judging process (Ti/Fi) can test external ideas and end up with something that they have personally vetted and accept on THAT level rather than accepting something from an initially Fe basis, for example. It might look similar to an outside stranger who hasn't seen your journey, but the path taken to get there was very different.

VagrantFarce

It's the difference between Extroverted Judgement (Fe, Te) and Introverted Judgement (Fi, Ti).

• Extroverted Judgement is an appeal to the wider world of obligations and structures that exist outside of any particular individual. There's a greater good that needs attending to.
  • Introverted Judgement is far more of an inner barometer - it could be shared amongst "like-minded" people, but is ultimately more individualistic. It's an appeal to the exceptions, not the greater rule.
It's also important to remember that Fi is paired with Te, and Ti is paired with Fe.

• Extroverted Feeling attends to a greater, more emotional and more expressive world around you, because Introverted Thinking can make it so easy to lose your place in that world.
  • Introverted Feeling attends to understanding and highlighting individuals and their inner emotional needs, in the hope that Extroverted Thinking doesn't just stamp them out entirely.
I actually find it much easier to compare the two forms of Extroverted Judgement (Te & Fe) - from there you can infer the Introverted Judgement function.