• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think life is better believing in a healthy religion or not?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I've never seen a healthy religion either although, there is much about Judaism that I do appreciate and it seems sensible. That said, I have a very happy life without allegiance to any religion. I laugh when people compare sports to religion. I see it more as a vehicle to bring a city or place together, the opposite of what religions do.

Frankly the majority of very religious people I know use it as a crutch because they have never learned to deal with everyday life. They have no need to learn anything not taught by their religion, treat others as inferior and happily raise children in this way with no repercussions from society when they produce ignorant, unprepared, foolish people. So thank you no to religion.

wool

Permabanned
Frankly the majority of very religious people I know use it as a crutch because they have never learned to deal with everyday life.

It is the path of sin that is easy, but ends in death, while living righteously is often difficult, but we gain in death.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It is the path of sin that is easy, but ends in death, while living righteously is often difficult, but we gain in death.

According to you. That's the entire point.

wool

Permabanned
According to you. That's the entire point.

My entire point is that you have it backwards. Sin is the crutch, not religion. Your soul has been lulled into a deep slumber by the mundane security of sin.

Mole

Permabanned
Every religion in Australia, except Islam, has been found guilty of child abuse and child rape and of covering it up and ignoring the extreme damage done to the psyches of children.

So there are no healthy religions, just as the cult of mbti is not healthy. And it is extraordinary that the attitude of the religious is the same as the attitude displayed every day on Typology Central. It shows a supreme indifference to the suffering of children.

And the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference.

wool

Permabanned
Every religion in Australia, except Islam, has been found guilty of child abuse and child rape and of covering it up and ignoring the extreme damage done to the psyches of children.

So there are no healthy religions, just as the cult of mbti is not healthy. And it is extraordinary that the attitude of the religious is the same as the attitude displayed every day on Typology Central. It shows a supreme indifference to the suffering of children.

And the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference.

Stop blaming Christians for this.

Tater

Do you think life is better believing in a healthy religion or not?
hwYiHFd.jpg

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My entire point is that you have it backwards. Sin is the crutch, not religion. Your soul has been lulled into a deep slumber by the mundane security of sin.

I'm afraid that you're ignoring the fact that it's quite possible to be a thoroughly decent person without being religious there

of course though, religions ignore that sort of thing and focus on making it a sin not to be religious, which appears to be their method of covering their own asses

wool

Permabanned
I'm afraid that you're ignoring the fact that it's quite possible to be a thoroughly decent person without being religious there

of course though, religions ignore that sort of thing and focus on making it a sin not to be religious, which appears to be their method of covering their own asses

Sin is Lawlessness. Many people do not even know the Law but have it written in their hearts.

If you know to do good, and choose to not to, however, "to him it is sin." James 4:17

And being a "good person" (I don't think they exist) doesn't save you in and of itself anyway. It's the blood of the Lamb that saves, not the Law.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Now this doesn't sound like religion at all. Just like brainwashing...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your heart is not even open to belief. No amount of scientific proof could ever be good enough for you.
Faith is not subject to scientific proof. That is why it is faith and not a scientific conclusion.

:shrug: You're just making assumptions about me and are unwilling to try. I was just trying to give you some suggestions for how to succeed with your proselytizing, but so be it.
Proselytizing that attempts to tell someone their religion isn't as good as yours (generic "you") is inherently disrespectful, and should fail. A heart truly open to faith, as [MENTION=28104]wool[/MENTION] describes, cannot be constrained in this manner but will find its own way to the divine. The best proselytizing is setting a good example in how you live your own life.

“Fairy tales are more than true — not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” – G.K. Chesterton
Great. So we are encouraged to spend our lives tilting at windmills like Don Quixote, when there are real problems out there to solve. Sounds like a plot by whoever would have their nefarious activites curtailed by said problem-solving.

I've never seen a healthy religion either although, there is much about Judaism that I do appreciate and it seems sensible. That said, I have a very happy life without allegiance to any religion. I laugh when people compare sports to religion. I see it more as a vehicle to bring a city or place together, the opposite of what religions do.
I think of religion more like culture or even family. We are born into one, but can adopt others. We tend to place more value on our own and feel more loyalty toware it, but don't usually go around telling everyone else that ours is better than theirs. Family and culture (and language, for that matter) are all very different across humanity, but serve the same fundamental and important purposes in human life. Religion is similar. Those who don't ascribe to a faith probably meet the same needs through systems of philosophy, morality, ethics, etc.

Put another way, there are many paths to the mountaintop; many wells that tap the spring of spirituality. It really doesn't matter which we take, so there is no cause for judging those who are on/at a different one.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
In my case, life is better with religion because I've done a lot of things that messed up my life so, yeah. Healthy religion helped become a better person :)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When people act all haughty and aggressive about how their religion is the only one and are disrespectful of others' religions, converting to their religion is probably the last thing I want to do... I'd look for a friendlier and more tolerant viewpoint to adopt, with kinder, more open minded people to call a family. As it stands for me now, I'm unswayed by all religious views, but at least I respect other peoples' choices and don't attack them for their beliefs being "wrong."

wool

Permabanned
When people act all haughty and aggressive about how their religion is the only one and are disrespectful of others' religions, converting to their religion is probably the last thing I want to do... I'd look for a friendlier and more tolerant viewpoint to adopt, with kinder, more open minded people to call a family. As it stands for me now, I'm unswayed by all religious views, but at least I respect other peoples' choices and don't attack them for their beliefs being "wrong."

Noted.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
You will have to be more specific - or should I add clarity of written expression to the list?

I wouldn't. Clarity and specificity are not the same thing, and an overabundance of the latter can be detrimentally stifling.

"The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see."

Contradictions in the Bible

Life is made of contradictions. Graphing them as binary systems in motion in which one element displaces the other element in an infinite loop yields the shape of a circle in two dimensions, and a sphere in three dimensions. It's likely no coincidence both the heavens on a macro scale and the tiny particles of existence on a micro scale are comprised of such shapes.

Mole

Permabanned
Stop blaming Christians for this.

It is the National Irish Judicial Enquiry into Child Abuse, and the Australian National Royal Commission into Child Abuse, that blames Christians.