• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what's a "real man"

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I absolutely hate the phrase "real man."

I'm almost more an advocate for men's emotional health than anything else and it pains me to see the detrimental effects caused by the pressure to "be a man." You guys might actually suffer more than anyone else, and in turn it affects everyone in the most tragic of ways.

But if you really want to melt me and have me worship your manliness, you will both protect me and let me protect you.
Now who wants to put their head in my lap and let me massage their scalp?

Mole

Permabanned
To say someone is not a true man is tantamount to saying someone is not a true Scotsman.

And not a true Scotsman is a logical fallacy, and so not a true man is also a logical fallacy, click on No True Scotsman - RationalWiki

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Kind of thinking of who I have said it about and why and I realized it's a pretty abstract concept to lock down!

A "real man" is an ideal. So not everyone is going to meet it and one persons definition of a "Real Man" is another persons "Everyday Guy" lol.

For me: There is an ineffible quality to a "Real Man". He is self-sufficient. Usually has some age/maturity behind him. He has something he takes pride in and nurtures. Whether that is a talent, accomplishment, job, family, etc.

He just has well-rounded strength, conviction and character. Like old leather. Worn in at the right places. Tough and soft. He tries to thread the best line between those two things and does a decent job most of the time. A real man is a good person.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
dunemoviefacts.jpg

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I probably say "grown" where others might say "real man".

A man who's grown is just someone who is decent and secure in himself. Somewhere in that is also that he has the means and wherewithal to live his life on his own terms. Self-actualizing, in other words.

I think everyone should try to be grown if they can manage it.

Permabanned
I probably say "grown" where others might say "real man".

A man who's grown is just someone who is decent and secure in himself. Somewhere in that is also that he has the means and wherewithal to live his life on his own terms. Self-actualizing, in other words.

I think everyone should try to be grown if they can manage it.

hFFABD336.jpg

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I don't even know anymore - and I don't care. Why should you? What matters is how people treat each other.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Now who wants to put their head in my lap and let me massage their scalp?

I would but I don't think you'd like it. Headlice and all. :wink: (also not a man, but unimportant.)

To me, the words "real man" say more about the speaker than the person who it's directed at.

I see it as a form of emotional/social manipulation directed at pride to get him to do what you want in the moment.

I never use those words, it disgusts me. Same with being a "proper lady" (heard that a lot in my school days) or "a good parent".

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

Well you really wasted no time in trolling me from the start, so I'm not sure why you don't think that would shape how I view you. Maybe be a little more... human? Nice? Or is that a 4-letter word to you? I'm just not sure yet but feel free to prove me wrong.

Permabanned
Well you really wasted no time in trolling me from the start, so I'm not sure why you don't think that would shape how I view you. Maybe be a little more... human? Nice? Or is that a 4-letter word to you? I'm just not sure yet but feel free to prove me wrong.

Damn, I hate it when people can read my thoughts, that's so fucking creepy.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When y'all get married, I wanna be the flower girl!

:spindance: