• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Teaching and Socionics

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Is there anyone who uses this board that uses Socionics in their classroom? If so, can you explain how you implement what you know and about its effectiveness in application?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My chemistry teacher used MBTI in the class. In that class there were tables of four because you would work together on a lot of things. I got paired with the 3 other intuitives in the class (INTP, ENTJ, ENFP) and it went very smoothly. She had a printed out MBTI test that was about 25 questions long and took me less than a minute to fill out.

That class was fun, I would talk to her a lot (she was an INFJ).

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Nup, don't think I'd consider it. I would find it fun subconsciously studying type dynamics while I taught. But I'd still approach every student on a personal level, and take every question on its merit.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
No, and there's a couple of reasons why I say that.

1) Students are still negotiating their own place in the world, and in a school-setting are often a product of their peers. Granted, there are older and mature students that have a strong sense of self, but I think for the most part, typing teenagers is done simply out of curiosity rather than as a valuable learning tool.

2) I don't want my students to try to type one another and start assigning stereotypical reasons for why they don't get along with one another. In my classroom, the belief system that I expect my students to adopt is that we are all here to learn, and we all bring valuable skills and knowledge into our learning environment. We work together and learn from one another. In the real world you have to learn to cope with all types...might as well get used to it.

3) It takes all types to teach all types. Not every student will love me, and it is impossible for my teaching style to perfectly cater to every kid in my class. Luckily for me, teachers come in all personality types and teaching styles.

With that said, I do use Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences, and try to include multiple modes of learning into my lessons. Also, if 2 students clearly do not work well together, I just try to avoid putting them together. You don't have to like everyone, but I do expect my students to treat one another with respect.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My college required everyone in the introductory seminar classes to take the MBTI, along with a multiple intelligences test, for career placement and counseling up until a year ago. It was pretty helpful except when students were mistyped, which happened somewhat often, especially concerning the J/P dichotomy. I don't know if they were/are familiar with Socionics; I think not.

Snow Turtle

My chemistry teacher used MBTI in the class. In that class there were tables of four because you would work together on a lot of things. I got paired with the 3 other intuitives in the class (INTP, ENTJ, ENFP) and it went very smoothly. She had a printed out MBTI test that was about 25 questions long and took me less than a minute to fill out.

That class was fun, I would talk to her a lot (she was an INFJ).

Looking back over the whole experience. What do you think of her purposely influencing the dynamics between you and other students?

This sort of thing interests me because it can also be seen as a form of segregation.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Looking back over the whole experience. What do you think of her purposely influencing the dynamics between you and other students?

This sort of thing interests me because it can also be seen as a form of segregation.

I thought it was great, since I was on the same wavelength of my partners. Intuitives also have similar learning styles so when she explained something to our table how to do something we all understood it. She also knew how to tell things to intuitive and sensor students in order for the subject to make sense to them. Usually I am just told how you do one section, and nothing else. I need to know how the section of something adds onto the larger picture (the chapter) in order to have a full understanding, otherwise I'm lost if I don't have anything to build on.

As for segregation, I'd consider it that way if it weren't for the good of the students she were teaching. I usually feel out of place when I am put with a bunch of SPs and SJs in a learning environment, since I'm not on their wavelength.