• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why god let's bad things happen

Lark

The devil did Brexit or maybe [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION], if not, wait, it was [MENTION=5789]Beorn[/MENTION]

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If we are counting alien life there are far more than the billions of species on this planet alone.

What makes God obligated to us in the first place?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Should there be a thread called "Why Satan Lets Good Things Happen"?

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Should there be a thread called "Why Satan Lets Good Things Happen"?

WQFvsx5.png

Because murder is a sin, but genocide for the right reasons is quite alright!

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
the reason why god killed a lot of people because a lot of them were evil and did not followed him, Sodom and gomorah.
I have a question, would you allow adolf hitler to live after the atrocities that he has commited

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
This is a topic i have thought on. I have come up with multiple possibilities.

1. God is a troll
We see multiple cases of God trolling people in the Bible (the story of Job, placing temptation in front of people e.t.c). He to me is a teenage boy playing Sims (How can i mess this persons life up as much as possible) or Civlization (How can i cause as much chaos as possible around the globe). He also put oil in the Middle East for lolz IMO.

2. He has far too much on his plate to worry about each person and must care more on a big picture
Think about you looking at a petri dish or even an ant mound and just try to look after one small bacteria or ant. You cannot as your thinking is far beyond theirs and therefore you probably wont care if a single bacteria or ant suffers or dies as along as you can keep them from getting wiped out. This is probably how God views mankind (I love mankind as a whole but cannot look after single bodies. Hell you are like that with your own body, You dont care at all if you kill skin cells when you wash yourself with chemicals or blood cells when you bleed but you would care on a more big picture way (You dont want to die or lose large amounts).

3. He doenst exist and therefore cannot care at all.
This is probably the simplest explanation and would explain a lot. I personally believe myself in the 2nd possibility as it seems despite humanity almost getting wiped out (WW2, Black death e.t.c it seems in the end humanity always came out better than worse).

you might not want to sa that, you might not live longer after that

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
you might not want to sa that, you might not live longer after that

You crack me up Mr dranon :D. I have another theory I came up with a long time ago regarding the God/Satan business that "God" in the OT at least is Satan in actually. I think personally the Apple of Eden was God and Satan wanted to overthrow God so he had our first Biblical heros eat the apple.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
the reason why god killed a lot of people because a lot of them were evil and did not followed him, Sodom and gomorah.
I have a question, would you allow adolf hitler to live after the atrocities that he has commited

Ya saying god was in the right when he killed millions of innocent people painting them with the same brush. Hitler and Old Testament God are very similar in that regard as both killed millions of people on ideological grounds without looking for other solutions. I could argue Old Testament God is one of the most evil villains in fiction with the level of control, tyranny, sheer pettiness and not doing anything to improve anything despite having the means to do so. OT God seems far more like Stalin or Hitler in divine form than the benevolent gentle old man he is portrayed as.

hav

MBTI Type
INTJ
It is WE - not God, who let bad things happen by willingly choosing evil over good. We're not living in The Sims - we are in control of our lives and we are responsible for our own actions. Without being able to choose what's evil, we would not be able to choose what's good.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You crack me up Mr dranon :D. I have another theory I came up with a long time ago regarding the God/Satan business that "God" in the OT at least is Satan in actually. I think personally the Apple of Eden was God and Satan wanted to overthrow God so he had our first Biblical heros eat the apple.

That's actually a very old idea. What you described was pretty much the concept of the demiurge in gnosticism.

Mole

Permabanned
Which God lets bad things happen? Is it Ganesh, the God with the head of an elephant, or is it Allah the God who demands submission, or is it the Trinity, the God with three heads, or was it Marduk, the God of Babylon, or Yaweh perhaps, or the Roman Gods, or the Greek Gods, or the Egyptian Gods, or the Viking Gods, or the spirits of the shaman, or the Nature Gods, or even the New Age Gods?

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
Which God lets bad things happen? Is it Ganesh, the God with the head of an elephant, or is it Allah the God who demands submission, or is it the Trinity, the God with three heads, or was it Marduk, the God of Babylon, or Yaweh perhaps, or the Roman Gods, or the Greek Gods, or the Egyptian Gods, or the Viking Gods, or the spirits of the shaman, or the Nature Gods, or even the New Age Gods?

the god of israel

Mole

Permabanned
the god of israel

Why do you think the God of Israel created our universe where time and space are expanding at an accelerating rate and carrying everything away from us in every direction? And why did we only find out about this in 1998? And why no mention of it in the Torah?

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
If there is such a thing as "bad thing" in the Ultimate mind then there is no Ultimate mind.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is WE - not God, who let bad things happen by willingly choosing evil over good. We're not living in The Sims - we are in control of our lives and we are responsible for our own actions. Without being able to choose what's evil, we would not be able to choose what's good.

Right, but I think that we can divide and separate "bad things" that happen to humans into two categories, the first being things we can control, like the results of our actions, behaving in a way that is stupid or destructive without thinking of the consequences is one example, the second are things we can't control, for example getting cancer or being born with a terminal illness. That's not something that's anybody's fault.

So while I agree that most misery in the world is created by human stupidity, there are some things which are not a result of our choices(good or bad).

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
CS Lewis covers this topic very well in his short book "The Problem of Pain."
Well worth the time to read it.

Lark

CS Lewis covers this topic very well in his short book "The Problem of Pain."
Well worth the time to read it.

In a sort of naive fiction way he deals with it in The Great Divorce too, although I did not think he was able to perfectly rationalise predestination, I actually do not think its possible to but then I dont buy that idea anyway and I dont buy original sin other than the interpretation that it is to do with doubt and estrangement which we all are exposed to and inherit one generation after another, some embrace it, others dont.

It's a really good depiction, in fiction, of heaven and hell in The Great Divorce, or so I thought so, and deals with a lot of the questions like this thread throws up, possibly one of the most important being that if you could know the answer for certain, would you? If it meant you have to have a complete change of heart and change of mind, would you? There's character who decide against "knowing" and a lot of people I meet I have to say this is a thing about them, not necessarily with relation to religion per se but everyone has their blind spots which they work hard on keeping that way. I dont mean things they are in denial about or cognitive dissonance either, I mean complete and perfect opting out of knowing, which is different, you cant simply choose to know another language which is foreign to you for instance.