• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Which enneagram types are most likely to suffer from suicidal ideation?

Which enneagram type is most to be suicidal and commit suicide?

• 1w2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1w9

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 3w4

• 4w3

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 4w5

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • 5w4

• 5w6

• 6w5

• 6w7

• 7w6

• 7w8

• 8w7

• 8w9

• 9w1

• 9w8

• Total voters

luli1234

I am likely 4w5, although I was once typed as 5w4. Of all types and wings, which enneagram combinations are most likely to suffer with suicidal ideation and/or commit suicide.
Can you mention specific examples.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is not type specific or related. There is some vague correlation between certain mental illnesses and type, but realistically any type can suffer from mental illness as well as suicide idealization.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Mental illness is less type-related than it is sometimes portrayed. Any time can have depression or more extreme illnesses such as bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. I know this because I have schizoaffective disorder and have met many, many others who have mental illnesses. Stereotypes like that mostly Fives have schizophrenia or Sevens have bipolar disorder are inaccurate in my experience.

Fivewingfour

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe I've heard the hypothesis that Fours are more prone to having suicidal thoughts than other types being explained by the idea that Fours are relatively detached from the world around them and do not see their place or role in society/life as clearly as other types do, which makes them more likely to think that the world and the people close to them don't need and can do without them.

I guess this is not to say that some types are more likely than others to suffer from mental illnesses, but that some types might be more likely to consider suicide than others because of the way they see the world and their place in it.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
There is no need to push the idea too much but I am fairly sure that suicide rates between all 9 of them aren't in perfect balance.

Bring the data and then we can talk about it.

If I were pressed to predict a pattern, I'd say perhaps the withdrawn types because they are naturally prone to turning inward and indulging in thought, removed from reality, so perhaps they'd lean toward ideation. Other types may be more prone to impulsive decisions, like 7, so their actual suicide rates may be higher. I'm not sure how common suicide would be with type 8, but I'd guess less overall.

There are too many patterns to assess, and no assessing going on, so I don't think this question can be answered accurately. I also think the question itself is problematic because it disrespects the broad and rather serious nature of depression and suicide.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Bring the data and then we can talk about it.

If I were pressed to predict a pattern, I'd say perhaps the withdrawn types because they are naturally prone to turning inward and indulging in thought, removed from reality, so perhaps they'd lean toward ideation. Other types may be more prone to impulsive decisions, like 7, so their actual suicide rates may be higher. I'm not sure how common suicide would be with type 8, but I'd guess less overall.

There are too many patterns to assess, and no assessing going on, so I don't think this question can be answered accurately. I also think the question itself is problematic because it disrespects the broad and rather serious nature of depression and suicide.

And this is the data you want.
The real question is more how big are the differences than are there any differences. The odds that all types are in perfect balance are basically none existent.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
And this is the data you want.
The real question is more how big are the differences than are there any differences. The odds that all types are in perfect balance are basically none existent.

Yes, but without the data, it's speculation.

When it comes to mental illness, I prefer to let all the facts flow while still maintaining an open mind because it's a subject which should be considered and discussed thoroughly.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yes, but without the data, it's speculation.

When it comes to mental illness, I prefer to let all the facts flow while still maintaining an open mind because it's a subject which should be considered and discussed thoroughly.

Of course. But for me it is reasonable to presume in the starting point that the balance isn't likely. I would also gladly see more concrete data but from the start it is obvious that type plays some kind of a role in all this.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not type related imo but mental health related. I think any type can be suicidal in poor health.

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And it’s like the enneagram portrays 4s as the only type that can be moody, SMH.