• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When I get my own treadmill, will it be good to walk on it while watching a movie?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I get my own treadmill, will it be good to walk on it while watching a movie? I love movies, and I could doa really long workout if it was low intensity and I had a good movie.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've watched movies on a treadmill before. Not a bad experience.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i have an estp friend who is a personal trainer and he is really big on "you have to be in the moment and pay attention" and i am forever looking for anything to transport my mind away from whatever my body is doing.

so i think that if u want to do some exercise and u have to trick yourself a bit, go for it. just make sure to have it going at a decent enough pace to provide some challenge otherwise it won't do much. :)

Lark

Most gyms that I know of are set up with TVs or radio used in this way, I think I might use long play LPs or CDs because its possible to type your workout that way, maybe you could do the same with a film too. I know people who dont use chairs but stand at their desks and I've seen those weird hamster wheel desks which allow you to walk slowly while you're doing your work. Watching a film while walking or running could be the same thing.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
i have an estp friend who is a personal trainer and he is really big on "you have to be in the moment and pay attention" and i am forever looking for anything to transport my mind away from whatever my body is doing.

so i think that if u want to do some exercise and u have to trick yourself a bit, go for it. just make sure to have it going at a decent enough pace to provide some challenge otherwise it won't do much. :)

I would also add to this (from experience :p) HOLD ONTO THE BARS. There have been many times where I am so far removed from the situation where I forgot I was walking on a treadmill, and as soon as a thought comes to mind that requires me to move, like I might think, “oh! I want to do this later, let’s check the calendar” and I’d attempt to walk off in some direction like an idiot hahaha.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
When I get my own treadmill, will it be good to walk on it while watching a movie? I love movies, and I could doa really long workout if it was low intensity and I had a good movie.

I use my tablet for two reasons. One, I like to stream Netflix and HBO Go. The other reason is that it blocks my view of my stats for the session. It's nice to see that you've run/walked longer than you think you did. At the gym, I listen to the many podcasts I follow. The bad part of podcasts is that you end up laughing at the worst times.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Watch The Road Warrior so you can pretend you're running alongside all of the vehicles during the big end chase.

0ba.gif

Lark

I prefer the idea that if I as watching anything I could remain active as opposed to just sitting there, its one of the home gym dreams I've got for when I first get my own house.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I prefer the idea that if I as watching anything I could remain active as opposed to just sitting there, its one of the home gym dreams I've got for when I first get my own house.

That's my idea since I know I need exercise but don't really like it to begin with. Also, I get shin splints and by the time they heal, I'm back down to the level of fitness I was when I started running. I hear treadmills are easier on the joints and bones.

Now, its just a matter of saving up to get a treadmill.

Amberiat

Infinity
Yep, it's a good idea. You exercise and entertain yourself at the same time which makes running less boring so you can exercise for longer periods of time. Just don't overdo it and you'll be fine!

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would also add to this (from experience :p) HOLD ONTO THE BARS. There have been many times where I am so far removed from the situation where I forgot I was walking on a treadmill, and as soon as a thought comes to mind that requires me to move, like I might think, “oh! I want to do this later, let’s check the calendar” and I’d attempt to walk off in some direction like an idiot hahaha.

Noted.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
That's my idea since I know I need exercise but don't really like it to begin with. Also, I get shin splints and by the time they heal, I'm back down to the level of fitness I was when I started running. I hear treadmills are easier on the joints and bones.

Now, its just a matter of saving up to get a treadmill.

Don't buy a new treadmill. Don't buy any exercise equipment new. Everything I have I bought used in the spring after people bailed on their NY resolutions.

Lark

Don't buy a new treadmill. Don't buy any exercise equipment new. Everything I have I bought used in the spring after people bailed on their NY resolutions.

Its also a good way to avoid buying anything which does not last, a lot of the equipment bought from whole salers or supermarket retailers winds up left at the dump because it loses torc or something.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Its also a good way to avoid buying anything which does not last, a lot of the equipment bought from whole salers or supermarket retailers winds up left at the dump because it loses torc or something.
Good point

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This past fall I started riding a recumbent exercise bicycle while watching movies or such on my phone. Within two months I was riding 27 miles every other day *but* I think I overdid it because two months later I'm still waiting for my tailbone and hip to heal. So, the only possible harm I can think of in watching media while exercising is that maybe we don't notice injury as much as we otherwise would. But if I'd known to not ignore stuff that hurts, that probably would have been more helpful to me than simply foregoing the media. :shrug:

Yeah. Last Fall I got a used Nordictrack recumbent bicycle in great shape for just $100.

Facebook (for those of us foolish enough to have an Fb profile) now has a "marketplace" where local people can advertise stuff they want to sell. I checked the exercise equipment search daily and it took less than a month to find a good deal on the specific piece of equipment I was looking for.

My sister has gotten treadmills both from Fb and Craig's list.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This past fall I started riding a recumbent exercise bicycle while watching movies or such on my phone. Within two months I was riding 27 miles every other day *but* I think I overdid it because two months later I'm still waiting for my tailbone and hip to heal. So, the only possible harm I can think of in watching media while exercising is that maybe we don't notice injury as much as we otherwise would. But if I'd known to not ignore stuff that hurts, that probably would have been more helpful to me than simply foregoing the media. :shrug:

Yeah. Last Fall I got a used Nordictrack recumbent bicycle in great shape for just $100.

Facebook (for those of us foolish enough to have an Fb profile) now has a "marketplace" where local people can advertise stuff they want to sell. I checked the exercise equipment search daily and it took less than a month to find a good deal on the specific piece of equipment I was looking for.

Offer Up is a good one, I got a weight bench there.

Lark

Did you get it from a marketplace? I'm constantly looking at recumbent bikes on Amazon, when I get my own place I want to get a couple of machines, at least one to begin with, then might add to it over the years, I've already got a kettle bell and dumbells and a bar bell bar, over the years I've had a cross trainer, two, but they were both bought out of supermarkets and were broken long before I got rid of them.

The recumbent while watching my media is a personal goal, its just how I'd really like to spend my time as time is precious.

Lark

When purchasing those machines I always encounter the problem that most of them stipulate a 15stone 100kg max weight for user, at present I'm 15.12 or there abouts, working to reduce that but my point is a lot of those machines strike me as being made for people who are relatively in shape already.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did you get it from a marketplace? I'm constantly looking at recumbent bikes on Amazon, when I get my own place I want to get a couple of machines, at least one to begin with, then might add to it over the years, I've already got a kettle bell and dumbells and a bar bell bar, over the years I've had a cross trainer, two, but they were both bought out of supermarkets and were broken long before I got rid of them.

The recumbent while watching my media is a personal goal, its just how I'd really like to spend my time as time is precious.

I got my bike through facebook. There's a part of Facebook called "Marketplace" where people sell items like furniture, exercise equipment, cars, etc. I don't know if it's an international feature. I've found it quite handy though. A radius of how many miles around my location can be set, so that only items in range of how far I'm willing to drive appear in the search. I've seen a couple weight lifting machines listed for around $100-150 too, and plan on getting one if/when my hip/tailbone situation improves.

I always do searches for reviews the equipment - which can almost always be found on Amazon - as well as the original cost, to help me determine which used equipment is a good deal. If there are at least a couple reviews that said the product wasn't solidly made or didn't move smoothly, I'd pass.