• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Whats your idea of a troll?

Lark

Trolling is purposefully provoking people to get a rise of out them.

Yeah, I think that's interesting, is there a distinction between "trolling" as a set of behaviours or tactics and being a "troll" as type? What would make the difference? The degree to which the behaviour is adopted and purposive or compulsive?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, I think that's interesting, is there a distinction between "trolling" as a set of behaviours or tactics and being a "troll" as type? What would make the difference? The degree to which the behaviour is adopted and purposive or compulsive?

Trolls join the site with the intent of trolling or all of their posts become troll posts if they didn't intend to troll at first. Some people only troll occasionally, but otherwise have productive things to say.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Time under tension. As you troll more and more you eventually become a troll. Everyone does asshole things, but some do it ALOT. You are defined by what you do. People who see black and white will define anyone a troll very quickly because they did it. Others will see how it fits into the big picture of the person.

I believe trolling requirez a type of stalking nature. Following others with intention of screwing with them mentally, emotionally, etc.

Lark

Time under tension. As you troll more and more you eventually become a troll. Everyone does asshole things, but some do it ALOT. You are defined by what you do. People who see black and white will define anyone a troll very quickly because they did it. Others will see how it fits into the big picture of the person.

I believe trolling requirez a type of stalking nature. Following others with intention of screwing with them mentally, emotionally, etc.

There's a quote from William James, that early US psychologist/philosopher, who talks about actions, habits, character or some similar process like that, I think that is true or can be true, there's those WW2 stories or films, I think there was an episode of Escape From Colditz which featured it, in which someone pretends to be insane in order to be returned to the UK from a German prisoner of war camp, they are but the insanity proves not to be an act any longer and they have gone mad and the head of the escape committee says no one is to attempt such an escape on those terms again.

Mole

Permabanned
Trolls are truly brilliant, they are able to grab our attention and hang on like limpets. So trolls are highly motivated, but what do trolls want? It is somewhat banal, somewhat ordinary, and it is what most of us want. Trolls simply want relationship. They are beyond desperate. And their desperation drives them to extreme measures until they succeed in getting under our skins.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Trolls are truly brilliant, they are able to grab our attention and hang on like limpets. So trolls are highly motivated, but what do trolls want? It is somewhat banal, somewhat ordinary, and it is what most of us want. Trolls simply want relationship. They are beyond desperate. And their desperation drives them to extreme measures until they succeed in getting under our skins.

This is actually brilliant.

The funny thing is some of you are feeding one of the most long winded and conceited trolls we have here. His name even rhymes with troll ffs. He can describe the creature in such brilliant detail because he is the creature. Why terrorize a distant virtual village when the locals pay such fine tribute?

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've read about five of his posts. One or two seemed trolly. One or two were good. Wondered if he was a troll i'd encountered elsewhere. Not the end of the world.

Enneagram
9w1
Trolls are persistent at making people feel delusional and confused and insecure about themselves.

Not to be confused with uh, fucking with people. I fuck with people sure, but I make sure they know I am. ;) Having fun at others expense is not the same as fucking with people because you want to get inside their heads and make them question what is true.

I'm a sympathetic troll, I'm concerned when people think I'm being serious when Im actually fucking with them. I'm cancerous but will help you get rid of me by making sure you know I shouldn't be trusted.

edit: actually im not a troll, I just have a fluid identity ;)

rav3n

Trolls are invisible and irrelevant in meatspace so they're desperate for visibility and relevance in cyberspace. It doesn't occur to them that their behaviours are exactly why they're irrelevant in meatspace.

Or they're paid to troll by the Russians.

Mole

Permabanned
The funny thing is some of you are feeding one of the most long winded and conceited trolls we have here. His name even rhymes with troll ffs. He can describe the creature in such brilliant detail because he is the creature. Why terrorize a distant virtual village when the locals pay such fine tribute?

'Troll' and 'Mole' do kind of rhyme, the difference is that Mole is devoted to interiority while trolls seek to exploit others.

But what is interiority? It is the direct contact with the psyche.

And those without direct contact have a visceral reaction to interiority. Interiority disturbs them in ways they can't understand or deal with, so they seek to diminish or remove those blessed with interiority.

'Troll' and 'Mole' do kind of rhyme, the difference is that Mole is devoted to interiority while trolls seek to exploit others.

But what is interiority? It is the direct contact with the psyche.

And those without direct contact have a visceral reaction to interiority. Interiority disturbs them in ways they can't understand or deal with, so they seek to diminish or remove those blessed with interiority.

Words of wisdom? Or more flakey psycho babble? You create threads and people attempt to respond and you pitch condescending drivel at them. So much so that only those ignorant of your ways post in them at this point. Sounds trolly to me. Preach on though.

Mole

Permabanned

One of the techniques of trolling is common and effective. So when you say something pejorative or negative, the troll accuses you of being just what you have criticised. Or alternatively, if you say something positive, they praise you for just that positive quality. It works, and it remains hidden, perhaps it is called, stealth trolling.