• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's My Type?

Zachary_Don

Hello everyone, I am having some trouble clearly identifying my personality type. I figured I would join a forum with other people interested in personality who could provide any insights into my own type. This is the first open-ended personality survey I have filled out, so if I am lacking detail in my answers, I apologize. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond.

I noticed the survey doesn't ask about age or gender. Considering the importance of the type functions, their development with age, and as related to gender, I figured it would be pertinent to mention that I am a 22-year old male.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I would say that my tendency to over-think in nearly every aspect of life causes me to doubt my ability to type myself accurately. In addition, I have completed numerous online typing tests, with varying results (I won't post those results as not to induce bias).

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

This is a difficult question, because I find myself yearning for many things. I yearn to be successful, and yet I yearn live an exciting, fulfilling life. I also desire to communicate meaning to others in a useful, tangible way. This is how I will know that I have succeeded.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I feel at my finest when I am in control, and when I know everything about a situation. This allows me to plan ahead, and gain a step up on others. I also feel at my finest when having won a competition, or successfully completed a meaningful task.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

I feel inferior when I can't derive meaning in the things that I am doing. This manifests itself as a boring, dead-end job (have worked these while attending school, but always end up quitting at one point or another). I also feel inferior when I am unable to organize the thoughts in my head.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

This is one area where I am almost certain of my leaning. I make decisions based on logic and reasoning. I sometimes struggle to even identify how I personally feel about a situation. I use a thorough analysis of pros, cons, implications, risks, practicality, etc. I usually don't consider the feelings or opinions of others when making decisions, and I sometimes have a problem trusting others or taking advice.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

When working on a project, I like to be in control of everything, if possible. As mentioned above, I have difficult trusting others, sometimes even with the most mundane and easy tasks. I think this stems from my perception of their 'human element,' something that restricts people from choosing the most logically sound and beneficial courses of action (I tend to repress my emotions, fears, anger, etc.). I tend to judge a project by its outcome, not the process in which it was completed.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I believe that my answer to this question has changed considerably as I have grown up. As a child/teenager, my idea of fun usually involved immersing myself in video games, and mastering competitive challenges. I find that as I grow, however, I desire unique and exciting experiences, and usually want to experience them with other people. I have found myself more open to, and often-times more seeking of, spontaneity in order to shake up the boring realities of everyday life.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I feel that I learn most naturally when I can theorize about something. I have never needed the hands-on approach to learning, and often-times learn on my own simply from reading new material. While this is most natural, I am also good at memorization, when necessary, although I would much rather understand the meaning behind information than simply knowing it.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

I think that I contradict myself in this area. The routine, boring areas of my life are extremely disorganized (it can take me a month to clean my room/run errands). However, when truly interested in something, I tend to organize everything in my life around it (example: I am attending law school this fall, so I tend to think of everything in terms of making myself as capable as possible at succeeding when I get there). When motivated, I have no trouble creating a well-thought out plan of action.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I feel that I do a bit of both. I definitely attempt to interpret meaning when listening to others, and often find myself pondering the motivation behind people's words and actions. At the same time, when discussing opinions, I like to know that there are facts and evidence supporting any statements in an intellectual conversation.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

I definitely find harmony in my independence and uniqueness. In fact, the first phrase almost sounds foreign to me, and I can barely even picture what it would be like.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I definitely think before speaking. When nervous, however, I have a tendency to ramble, and can get lost in trains of thought. I prefer one-on-one discussions, because the social pressure is lower, and it is easier to analyze one person than many.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I definitely like to know where I am jumping before I jump. I think taking action too quickly often leads to sub-optimal decision making, which could be made with more time to process alternatives. At the same time, I do believe that actions speak louder than words. I tend to judge others based on how they act, not what they say. This probably comes from my innate suspicion of others.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

I will go out with my friends, because I've already seen my favorite show and I hate watching TV. A bit less literally, I will usually choose to go out with my friends because I enjoy interaction with others, and I have a higher probability of doing something interesting during a night out than during a night of sitting on my couch.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

When stressed out, I tend to think through the worst-case scenarios, and become fearful of my chance of failure. This can have a paralyzing effect, and I have been working to be decisive, and not let simple fear get in the way of achievement.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

Most of the time, I dislike personalities who can't stop talking long enough to take a breath. The eternal talkers of the world frustrate me, because I innately sense a lack of depth in their thoughts and thought processes. Whether this is correct or not, I have long been bothered by people who speak much more than they think.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

I really enjoy deep conversations about almost anything. I think that the best realizations and the most meaning can be drawn from one-on-one encounters with other intelligent and enthusiastic individuals. I can get very excited when talking about things that interest me, which include economics, finance, psychology, law, and philosophy to a lesser extent. In contrast, I generally hate small-talk, and avoid pleasantries whenever possible.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

I think that I am pretty clear on this answer. I pay the least attention to social norms and expectations. This manifests itself in my extreme difficulty remembering important dates, commitments, etc. A close runner-up answer would be that I pay the least attention my own base needs. I am able to put off eating, for example, or even the thought of eating, in pursuit of tasks I deem more important.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

My friends perceive me as witty, smart, intelligent, funny, sarcastic, charming, insensitive, uncaring, motivating, both friendly and unfriendly (depending on whether or not I think highly of a person). I think listing these together helps me see why I am having trouble typing myself. I receive lots of feedback from different people, and much of it can contradict (I feel that I have to 'turn on' my extraverted side, and that I generally have a 'don't give a fuck' attitude if I don't feel in the mood to socialize). Usually there are always at least a couple of people I just naturally rub the wrong way, and they can't help but mention it to me. All of this being said, I am very talented at talking to most anyone, and am able to get the desired results out of conversations. I have no trouble picking up on nuances in body language and facial expression, and use these to get a true sense of where another person's head is at. My friends would probably never label me as 'emotional,' or as 'unintelligent.'

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

I would probably choose leisurely, relaxing, activities that provide extrinsic or intrinsic thrills. I don't have many days to do whatever I would like, so I find it difficult to provide specific examples at this stage in life.

If anyone would like additional or supplemental information, I'll be happy to provide it. Thanks again for the help.

Zachary_Don

I'll post my SimilarMinds test result below for those who are curious:

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (70%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (90%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (70%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (55%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (35%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (80%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (25%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (45%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
based on your results your type is likely - intp

Kensei

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm thinking ESTJ for you, especially in the begginning when you were cincerned about details like age and gender, it shows alot of Si, plus also seem to like clear and tangible information, which I also picked up in the beggining. You don't show any Ni and even in the function test your Si was higher. You are so clearly ESTJ that any typing as much as 2 letters off seems quite laughable to me. Lol Enjoy my typing :p