• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Type am I?

Brennan

Hello! I've gotten very frustrated with the various MBTI tests online, as I feel they aren't typing me accurately. I always get different results, from INTP to ISTP to INTJ. I'd really appreciate it if someone offered their input.

1. What do you yearn for in life? Why?
To find my place in life - in terms of my future career, friendships, and relationships. I feel like I haven’t really figured out where I’m supposed to be yet. It's probably why I'm so eager to figure out my type, hoping that it will provide me with some clarity.

2. Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
Young, grade school me. I was shy, but not as withdrawn as I am now - so I participated in class all the time, and excelled at school without working hard. I also had an easier time socializing, and at making friendships and keeping them.

3. What makes you feel inferior?
When I’m excluded or ignored, when people are condescending towards me or my ideas and interests, even if they may not always be life-changing or groundbreaking. If I mess up in a conversation - say something wrong, mispronounce something, get a fact wrong. When people are talking about things and I have nothing useful to contribute (whether it’s a conversation about politics or a show I don’t watch - or even necessarily like)

4. What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I’m indecisive so I end up making pros and cons lists. I think about what’s best for me, what will make me happiest and most comfortable. I think about what people will think of me, but not how it will affect them.

5. When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I like to have control of the project. I am also usually such a perfectionist about a project that either of the two happens:
-if the project isn’t a requirement, I’ll place such an emphasis on getting every detail right that I get overwhelmed and never finish it
-if the project does need to be completed, I’ll procrastinate and then have no choice but to complete it in the eleventh hour, at which point I have to disregard my perfectionist vision of the outcome

6. Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
I never take risks and I hate to do things I’m not comfortable with, but there are times where I reluctantly do take a risk and end up having fun — going to an amusement park (I’m not much of a thrill-seeking person), where it was fun mingled with shock that I was actually enjoying myself. But I still remember those times as not fully letting go of my worries, not fully letting myself experience it.
I have a lot of fun with people I’m comfortable with in situations I’m comfortable with, such as with a friends exploring a bookstore or wandering streets of the city. These times are when I do let myself go, where I feel comfortable enough not to worry about what could happen. But, as a reserved person, some of the most fun I’ve had is by myself, when I’ve gone to a museum alone and really just enjoyed getting lost in my own thoughts.

7. When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?
When I want to learn something new that interests me, I need to figure out how to do it myself, it’s a point of pride. I also completely immerse myself in this one subject and become obsessed, so I end up overindulging myself and getting burnt out by learning too much at once.

8. How organized do you think of yourself as?
I am terribly disorganized, my whole life is cluttered, but I do love making incredibly detailed lists.

9. How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I tend to distrust new concepts and change, so I’ll be skeptical about new ideas until proven otherwise, though I don’t always feel the need to do the proving myself. Mostly, others have to prove to me that this idea is worth considering, especially if there’s something in it for me.

10. You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
By following what I believe and making sure I’m happy, though I don’t always voice what I want - not to make sure the others feel like they belong, so that I feel like I belong.

11. Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Most of the time I think before I speak, overthinking even a simple phone call. I only speak before thinking when I’m either very happy or very angry and around people I’m very close to. I prefer one-one-one communication. I often get lost in group banter and revert to being a listener.

12. Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I usually think a lot before I do anything, but there are plenty of times when I do something for my immediate satisfaction without thinking of the consequences.

13. It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
I would most likely stay home, it would take a lot of wheedling and persuading to drag me out, even if I would probably end up enjoying myself.

14. How do you act when you're stressed out?
When I’m stressed I get angry and snap at people, and worry about everything that’s wrong. I either suck it up and get it done or I completely withdraw and ignore the problem, hoping it will just go away.

15. What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I dislike when people care too much about what others think. It’s the doing things because of other people that really gets to me — like not eating alone because they’re scared of what others think, for example. I get annoyed by insincerity, when people are too friendly or charming around everyone. If you don’t want to be my friend, don’t pretend; I don’t want to waste my time if there’s no potential for real friendship.
Also, goody-two shoes types drive me crazy.

16. Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I’m very reticent until you hit on some of my interests, and then I come to life. I love talking about the books, television, movies, and music I love. I’ll never shut up about my favorite sports team. I get really excited about anything I enjoy in general, even if it’s just what I had for breakfast. Of course, if someone makes fun of something I like, I completely withdraw and regret opening up to them and take it personally.

17. What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
My relationships with other people, unfortunately. I get so caught up in my head or get invested in some new interest and forget to keep up with my friends or family. My most successful friendships are the ones where I can pick up right where I left off.
I also ignore the boring responsibilities and commitments I have right up until the deadline.

18. How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
They say I’m very passionate about the things that I love. A lot of my friends say I’m independent and that I don’t care what other people think. It doesn’t mean that I like being independent, however — it’s kind of just a way of life known, after being an only child without many friends for so long. I also do care what others think, but I dislike that about myself, so I try as hard as I can to suppress that.
Friends would never admit how bad I am at commitment. I’ve let a lot of friendships go because I’m bad at staying in them. It requires being so vulnerable that instead of waiting for them to end the friendship, I’ll do it prematurely.

19. You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
I’ll hang out with a close friend if I’m in the mood. Read, watch a movie, spend a day out in the city, go to my favorite bookstore, eat at my favorite restaurant. Watch hockey. Listen to music.