• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is truth? Isd reality more fact or opinion?

Lark

Do you happen to be a Christian, like myself, Lark?

I'm a practicing roman catholic.

- - - Updated - - -

Your commitment to a particular brand of Christianity is interesting, but what might be more interesting would be to explore your psyche, to explore your psychological life.

To be a member of a site devoted to psychology and focus obsessively on the beliefs of a particular sect of Christianity, would suggest you are not only pulling the wool over our eyes but over your own eyes as well.

:rofl1:

wool

Permabanned
I'm a practicing roman catholic.

What do you think of this verse?

John 14:6
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Mole

Permabanned
The problem is simply how to wake from a trance. As a Western society we started to wake from our age old trance in the 18th century using evidence and reason.

Many of us cling to trance in order to hide our psychological pain from ourselves. And who can blame us?

Here many of us cling to the mbti trance, and it is very likely this is to hide and cover up our psychological pain.

Unfortunately Typology Central does not provide psychotherapy so we are quite unable to help anyone experience their pain, understand their pain, evaluate their pain, and integrate their pain into everyday life.

Mbti does help us deny our pain.

wool

Permabanned
The problem is simply how to wake from a trance. As a Western society we started to wake from our age old trance in the 18th century using evidence and reason.

Many of us cling to trance in order to hide our psychological pain from ourselves. And who can blame us?

Here many of us cling to the mbti trance, and it is very likely this is to hide and cover up our psychological pain.

Unfortunately Typology Central does not provide psychotherapy so we are quite unable to help anyone experience their pain, understand their pain, evaluate their pain, and integrate their pain into everyday life.

Mbti does help us deny our pain.

Stop repeating yourself.

Mole

Permabanned
Stop repeating yourself.

Any repetition can induce a trance, so by repeating myself I am inducing a counter trance.

And a counter trance may help us wake from the original trance.

wool

Permabanned
Any repetition can induce a trance, so by repeating myself I am inducing a counter trance.

And a counter trance may help us wake from the original trance.

Are you in a trance yourself? The trance of the mole?

Mole

Permabanned
Are you in a trance yourself? The trance of the mole?

Of course, most of us are in a trance most of the time. The only question is whether it is a conscious trance or an unconscious trance.

wool

Permabanned
Of course, most of us are in a trance most of the time. The only question is whether it is a conscious trance or an unconscious trance.

I know how to put myself in a trance. I figured out on my own as a kid. It involves blinking.

savaged

MBTI Type
INFJ
Somebody once said reality is a collective hunch. Who says truth even exists? Anyway, imagine you were the only person on planet Earth not on mushrooms, YOU would be the nut. It is simply a number's game.

Mole

Permabanned
Truth is like the limit in calculus - we get very close without actually reaching it. We do though get unimaginably close, up to 10 decimal places. So for all intents and purposes we are close enough to the truth for it not to matter.

On the other hand religious truth is different because it is certain. Religious truth is absolute and has always appealed to those who seek absolute power.

wool

Permabanned
Truth is like the limit in calculus - we get very close without actually reaching it. We do though get unimaginably close, up to 10 decimal places. So for all intents and purposes we are close enough to the truth for it not to matter.

On the other hand religious truth is different because it is certain. Religious truth is absolute and has always appealed to those who seek absolute power.

It is not truth that leads the power seeking to religion. It's power.

Mole

Permabanned
It is not truth that leads the power seeking to religion. It's power.

It was through the Western Enlightenment not religion that we learnt to civilise power. For when we discovered that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, we learnt to limit power through liberal democracy.

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
My understanding of the words 'truth', 'reality', 'fact' and 'opinion'

On truth: I think of truth as less of a noun, than a verb. We don't find truth,
nor create it in isolation. We dance with the world via our interactions, at different scales of the world.
On reality: To me, this is a vague word. I often prefer to be more precise than that.
On fact: This word signifies quite a lot of meaning to me, as a researcher.
Facts are the cumulative dance of our interactions with others, both human
and non-human, in the world, recorded in the form of words, pictures and
mathematics. These recordings are (potentially) independently verifiable,
using a variety of tools whose operations have different assumptions
underpinning them.
On opinion: This is what people say about some topic which they may or may not have any evidence to back up their claims.

Mole

Permabanned
We do have some facts at our fingertips. The Periodic Table is a fact. Natural Selection is a fact. Atoms are a fact. Space/time is a fact. Our galaxy, the Milky Way, is a fact. It is a fact that the Universe is expanding everywhere at an accelerating rate. It is a fact we grow and develop in the womb following regular milestones. And it is a fact our psyches grow and develop, again following regular milestones.

And it is a fact that liberal democracy limits power, and maximises freedom and equality, as we see around us each day.

And it is a fact that those in psychological pain seek to escape into fantasy.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We do have some facts at our fingertips. The Periodic Table is a fact. Natural Selection is a fact. Atoms are a fact. Space/time is a fact. Our galaxy, the Milky Way, is a fact. It is a fact that the Universe is expanding everywhere at an accelerating rate. It is a fact we grow and develop in the womb following regular milestones. And it is a fact our psyches grow and develop, again following regular milestones.

And it is a fact that liberal democracy limits power, and maximises freedom and equality, as we see around us each day.

And it is a fact that those in psychological pain seek to escape into fantasy.

And perception is a reality to those facts.

Mole

Permabanned
And perception is a reality to those facts.

Perception is not only what we see but how we see.

And how we see is called epistemology.

And epistemology is usually invisible to us, and so the fact that different peoples have different epistemologies is also invisible.

This means that we presume other peoples see in the same way we do. And we naively believe the way we see is natural and normal. And we can be quite aggressive in defending our own naive epistemology. We defend our own way of seeing with all the pride of obedient children.