• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you value most?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you think is more important than money?
Why?

Those are your true values

(I saw this in a youtube ad, but thought I would share it here because it rings true, but I didn't come up with it myself and can't find the original reference.)

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Love for those closest to me, doing what I consider right, happiness/fulfillment.

With some things, it's a balance. Money means having enough food, decent shelter, freedom. I value knowledge, but I'd rather have a moderate amount of money and knowledge than a large amount of one with none of the other.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Love for those closest to me, doing what I consider right, happiness/fulfillment.

Hard question, but these are probably some of my biggest values as well.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Integrity, love, happiness, health, security. It's a challenging question though. You need a certain amount of money to survive and it's required to support most of those things.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The usual:

Money. Success. Fame. Glamour.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My health, my life experiences and education, my family and friends and the importance of community building and giving.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Experiences probably, and stressfree lifestyles.

junathan

Long lasting friends & family, doing what's right for the society & the little things in life that makes me happy. :)

MaxMad244

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not quite sure. That's why I have to study it first.

Tomb1

That's an easy one.

Athleticism/strength (not so much size or muscle but just dense kinesthetic power and explosiveness), mental toughness, raw ability/instinct, doing things my way (being true to self), and lots of moxie.

Last edited:

xXxXx_wEltschmErz_xXxXx

the manga was better
Certainly, relationships with other people (and animals) are of great value. A thing that feels important for me personally when looking at the long-term is being able to leave some form of legacy behind.

MaxMad244

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know what I value to be honest. I'm split, hence the three women in my dreams that haunt me:

MaxMad244

MBTI Type
INTJ
They don't really haunt me. They clean me in a tub of gold.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
I am reading a self-help book on relationships, and the author (a PsyD, equivalent in level of education and training to a PhD) was saying that research shows couples with similar values tend to be more compatible and have more solid relationships. And then as an exercise, he proposed a couple of "values lists" that a couple could discuss in order to get a feel for their level of compatibility.

Of course, there are many other things that affect compatibility of couples. I'm just extracting the portion that deals specifically with personal values in order to stimulate some thought on the issues raised in the OP.

So here are a couple lists that might prompt self-evaluation, or at least some thoughts about what constitutes a "value." The first one is more universal and philosophical; the second one is probably more about values on a day-to-day basis.

List 1:
Social psychologist Shalom Schwartz (2012) studied cultures across the globe and found ten universal values that motivate people.
--Self-Direction: characterized by self-reliance and independent thought
--Stimulation: variety, adventure, and risk-taking
--Hedonism: gratification and comfort
--Achievement: personal success and competence
--Power: social status and prestige; dominance over people and resources
--Security: Safety and harmony in society and relationships
--Conformity, compliance and self-restraint; placing the group's needs above those of the individual
--Tradition: adherence to customs handed down by family, culture, or religion
--Benevolence: loyalty and kindness to friends and family
--Universalism: providing equal treatment for different people and groups

List 2:
This list comes out of behavioral psychology, and it was summarized by clinical researcher JoAnne Dahl and her colleagues (2009).
--Career: the work that satisfies beliefs and activities you hold to be important
--Leisure activity: the activities you find rejuvenating; the hobbies that bring you joy
--Caregiving: the importance of inspiring and caring for others
--Family: the qualities you wish to possess as a father, son, brother, or father; the kinds of family relationships you wish to create
--Intimate relationships: the qualities you wish to bring to a romantic relationship
--Community involvement: the position you wish to occupy in your community, the importance you place on political, social, environmental, or other causes
--Religion and spirituality: the importance of spirituality and the role you want religion to play in your life
--Education and personal development: the knowledge or skills you find to be most important and the value you place on ongoing education
--Health: your approach to mental and physical fitness; the relationship you want to build with food, exercise, sleep, substances, and intellectual pursuits
--Friendship: the qualities you want to bring to the people in your life and the kind of relationships you wish to build

The author of the book I was reading added two more items specifically affecting couples:
--Finances: what money represents to you, be it freedom, security, or something else entirely, and your philosophy about investments, debts, and fiscal responsibility
--Physical intimacy: the role of sex in a relationship; the meaning and importance of physical affection.

Last edited:

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I originally put experiences, but I do not think that is true anymore. Experiences are only a tool, what has real value, is what you can influence, and express in reality. Your very affect on the world. Anyone can experience heartbreak, but only a few can turn a heartbreak into a novel or a song.

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Nutrition, wellbeing, purity, peace, closest ones and myself.

MPP

MBTI Type
INTP
Your soul/virtuous self, what good is money if your inner world is hell. Health is also a good one.