• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you learn in church today?

Permabanned
:holy: hail marys in portuguese!

I still don't know them in english... :ninja:

That always reminds me of this:
absolut-bloody-mary1.jpg

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Communion wafers dipped in red wine are tasty. Back in grade school...

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Communion wafers dipped in red wine are tasty. Back in grade school...

The last (and as far as I remember, only) time I went to a Jewish Temple I learned that the sacrificial wine was excellent.....the churches always had grape juice.

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't let the devil take your stuff. The most awesome story was told Sunday when my pastor and a group came back from a mall in South Africa for a missions trip like over a week ago. Now that area is where many thieves try to steal people's things. Pastor notice a guy getting off their bus with a backpack. "Where are you going?" pastor asked. The guy answered as he pointed, "I'm going over there." "Oh no you're not!" and he chased the guy down and put him in a headlock. "Call the police! Call the police!" pastor cried. Then one of the people, who was a very fat man, sat on the thief until the police arrived. It was all over for that guy! The thief could've gotten a guy's ipad, iphone, and even his passport. It would have been a nightmare to go to the embassy to straighten all that out. As pastor, he said "I was protecting my flock." The mental image was hilarious! I think he was having a flashback during his football days.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've been reading The Power of Now and it sounds a lot like Taoism in some ways, and like other religions in others, but I think the main principle he touches on is that the common theme in all religion seems to be higher consciousness and the awareness of Being in all living things, including ourselves, and of course you can't perceive that Being if you're busy obsessing and over-analyzing, that only in a state of heightened awareness, joy, and gratitude is the existence of that Being obvious.

Then it went on about how the true message of religions have gotten lost in the myths, and I was "OMGZ I WAS JUST SAYING THIS ON PERSONALITY CAFE LIKE A MONTH AGO."

Mole

Permabanned
We have just had another suicide of one of their victims but they can't even say the words, "destroying the souls of children".

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If Jesus' blood was made of wine then he was an alcoholic and the Bible supports cannibalism O.O

Mole

Permabanned
I learnt that the purpose of church is to put us into a trance, so that our critical minds will go to sleep and we will believe whatever they tell us.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
People are self-righteous hypocrites.

Oh wait, I only had to come to Type C to learn that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fixed that for you.

Gish my judgments of humanity all extend to myself, I think the problem here is that you may be having issues with coping with yourself or something morally, since you always feel a need to criticize me. I've long been aware that all people are self-righteous hypocrites, so why don't you go look in the mirror and stop your shit with trolling me around the forum again.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Gish my judgments of humanity all extend to myself, I think the problem here is that you may be having issues with coping with yourself or something morally, since you always feel a need to criticize me. I've long been aware that all people are self-righteous hypocrites, so why don't you go look in the mirror and stop your shit with trolling me around the forum again.

My claim can be substantiated with evidence, yours is just a blatant attempt at an insult. Stop trolling me or i'll report you.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
My claim can be substantiated with evidence, yours is just a blatant attempt at an insult. Stop trolling me or i'll report you.

Gish, I think you may be troubled.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
More on topic, I have a recurring location in my dreams that is some kind of a mix of a church, an airport, and a university. Every time I have one of those dreams I seem to experience the most vividly. Last night I had one and as I was praying I started getting approached by representatives from various schools telling me I had been accepted, then my cat woke me up. Personally churches have always been a place of thinking for me, outside of dreams I like to go to churches just to sit and think. It's a nice calm atmospheric place.

Mole

Permabanned
Extreme Church Going

Having learned this, will you return to church next week?

It's a challenge.

In church I meet trance meisters who have been honing their practices for millennia.

So my challenge is to remain the captain of my soul in the face of profound group trance.

It's an extreme sport like white water rafting, where the white water is the group trance, and I have to keep my head above water, and pointed in the direction I choose.

And as you note, I find it hard to resist the challenge of extreme church going.

EntangledLight

MBTI Type
?
"What has a man from all the toil and striving of heart with which he toils beneath the sun? For all his days are full of sorrow, and his work is a vexation. Even in the night his heart does not rest. This also is vanity.
There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil."

-The Preacher

i actually kind of like this. almost as if no matter what you do or how hard you try life will always have its bad moments, and it's better to view happenings as just that--happenings--with no judgment passed upon them... detached. in this frame of mind it can allow one person to back away from that initial negative feeling and instead shift themselves to a different perspective, altering their view and reshaping their own life instead of allowing life to reshape them.