• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are the 10 cognitive distortions and the 11 irrational beliefs people have in their u conscious?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I’ve trained my mind for decades on Dr. David Burns 10 has cognitive thought distortions in the human unconscious. Dr. Burns is a CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) doctor.

In a list of 1,000 best self books on a myriad of issues, Dr. Burns Feeling Good book is ranked #1. Meanwhile Dr. Burns Feeling Food Handbook is #2 on the list. These books are reader friendly for a layperson.

I’ve also familiarized my mind, feelings, thoughts and behavior keeping in mind Dr. Albert E. Ellis 11 irrational beliefs that human beings not aware of have in their human unconscious.

Dr. Aaron Beck is considered the father of cognitive therapy. I’ve read Dr. Beck’s books and they are dry. Dr. Albert E. Ellis, the founder of REBT (rational emotive behavior therapy) writings are reader friendly for an average person.

I’m aware of Cognitive Schemas that lie dormant in a persons unconscious belief system.

Added to that I am aware of false positivisms and wives tales that don’t bear the brunt of human reason and judicious discernment.

'DEFINITIONS OF COGNITIVE DISTORTIONS'

1. All or Nothing Thinking : We think in all or nothing, black and white, right or wrong categories, rather than seeing things more objectively, calmly, rationally and from many angles of truth.

2. Overgeneralization : You pick out one fact, comment or event and make it the totality of your sum experience.

Example: You made a mistake on a test, and think you always or always will make mistakes.

3. Mental Filter : You pick out a single negative detail and dwell on it exclusively so that your vision of all reality becomes darkened, like the drop of ink that colors the entire beaker of water.

Ex. You get one bad compliment and it ruins your entire day.

4a. Mind Reading Jumping to Conclusions : You think you know what someone is thinking of you. Many times a negative label.

4b. Fortune Teller-Jumping to Conclusions : You anticipate that things will go bad for you.

5a. Magnification : You magnify your characteristics, attributes, and successes in your mind. The narcissism effect.

5b. Minimizing : You minimize other people's characteristics, virtues, successes, or attributes.

6. Disqualifying the Positive : You reject positive experiences by insisting they don't count for some reason or other. In this way you can maintain a negative belief that is contradicted by your every day experiences.

7. Emotional Reasoning: I feel it to be true so it must be true.

8. Should statements. Self explanatory. I should/ought/must/have to; they/he/she-ought/must/should/have to; the world or reality or life-should/ought/must/have to.

9a. Labeling: labeling, name calling, pejoratives of self or others

9b. Mislabeling-labeling: Involves describing an event with language that is highly colored and emotionally loaded.

10. Personalization: You blame yourself for something not in your control.

I.E. You feel responsible for another person's actions or feelings. Or you blame yourself for how an event or experience turned out, that was not to your liking.

The above 10 distortions are taken from David D. Burns; Feeling Good (1980).

Dr. Ellis 11 irrational beliefs.
1. It is a dire necessity for adult humans to be loved or approved by virtually every significant other person in their community.

2. One absolutely must be competent, adequate and achieving in all important respects or else one is inadequate, worthless person.

3. People absolutely must act considerately and fairly and they are damnable villains if they do no. They are the bad acts.

4. It is awful and terrible when things are not the way one would very much like them to be.

5. Emotional disturbance is mainly externally caused and people have or no ability to increase or decrease their dysfunctional feelings and behaviors.

6. If something is or may be dangerous or fearsome, then one should be constantly and excessively concerned about it and should keep dwelling on the possibility of it occurring.

7. One cannot and must not face life’s responsibilities and difficulties and it’s easier to avoid them.

8. One must be quite dependent on others and you need them and you cannot run one’s own life.

9. One’s past history is an all important determiner of one’s present behavior and because something once strongly affected one’s life it should indefinitely have a similar effect.

10. Other peoples disturbances are horrible and one must feel upset about them.

11. There is invariably a right, precise and perfect solution to human problems and it is awful if this perfect solution is not found.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Because this is so important, I’ve decided to republish this material.

I heard new age people proclaiming we are at the advent of a new age. This is emotional reasoning. It has no substance.

Whether you are a believer or not, understanding these distortions can help you become more aware. Personally, I don’t believe in Jesus or anybody coming to save us.

If you believe, then I honor and respect your belief. I just have a different opinion. Irregardless I like the saying, “God helps him who helps himself.”

I have an analogy. Nobody would say that if they haven’t practiced martial arts that they could take on a black belt. No, it requires discipline and practice.

In the physical martial arts there are a hierarchy of belts to master. So it is with cognitive disciplining of the mind.

By being aware of these identified cognitive distortions and irrational beliefs from CBT and REBT, one can learn to master their own thoughts and not fall prey to these distortions in the thought process.

The more practice the less triggered a person will be susceptible too.

I’ve trained my mind for decades on Dr. David Burns 10 has cognitive thought distortions in the human unconscious. Dr. Burns is a CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) doctor.

In a list of 1,000 best self books on a myriad of issues, Dr. Burns Feeling Good book is ranked #1. Meanwhile Dr. Burns Feeling Food Handbook is #2 on the list. These books are reader friendly for a layperson.

I’ve also familiarized my mind, feelings, thoughts and behavior keeping in mind Dr. Albert E. Ellis 11 irrational beliefs that human beings not aware of have in their human unconscious.

Dr. Aaron Beck is considered the father of cognitive therapy. I’ve read Dr. Beck’s books and they are dry. Dr. Albert E. Ellis, the founder of REBT (rational emotive behavior therapy) writings are reader friendly for an average person.

I’m aware of Cognitive Schemas that lie dormant in a persons unconscious belief system.

Added to that I am aware of false positivisms and wives tales that don’t bear the brunt of human reason and judicious discernment.

'DEFINITIONS OF COGNITIVE DISTORTIONS'

1. All or Nothing Thinking : We think in all or nothing, black and white, right or wrong categories, rather than seeing things more objectively, calmly, rationally and from many angles of truth.

2. Overgeneralization : You pick out one fact, comment or event and make it the totality of your sum experience.

Example: You made a mistake on a test, and think you always or always will make mistakes.

3. Mental Filter : You pick out a single negative detail and dwell on it exclusively so that your vision of all reality becomes darkened, like the drop of ink that colors the entire beaker of water.

Ex. You get one bad compliment and it ruins your entire day.

4a. Mind Reading Jumping to Conclusions : You think you know what someone is thinking of you. Many times a negative label.

4b. Fortune Teller-Jumping to Conclusions : You anticipate that things will go bad for you.

5a. Magnification : You magnify your characteristics, attributes, and successes in your mind. The narcissism effect.

5b. Minimizing : You minimize other people's characteristics, virtues, successes, or attributes.

6. Disqualifying the Positive : You reject positive experiences by insisting they don't count for some reason or other. In this way you can maintain a negative belief that is contradicted by your every day experiences.

7. Emotional Reasoning: I feel it to be true so it must be true.

8. Should statements. Self explanatory. I should/ought/must/have to; they/he/she-ought/must/should/have to; the world or reality or life-should/ought/must/have to.

9a. Labeling: labeling, name calling, pejoratives of self or others

9b. Mislabeling-labeling: Involves describing an event with language that is highly colored and emotionally loaded.

10. Personalization: You blame yourself for something not in your control.

I.E. You feel responsible for another person's actions or feelings. Or you blame yourself for how an event or experience turned out, that was not to your liking.

The above 10 distortions are taken from David D. Burns; Feeling Good (1980).

Dr. Ellis 11 irrational beliefs.
1. It is a dire necessity for adult humans to be loved or approved by virtually every significant other person in their community.

2. One absolutely must be competent, adequate and achieving in all important respects or else one is inadequate, worthless person.

3. People absolutely must act considerately and fairly and they are damnable villains if they do no. They are the bad acts.

4. It is awful and terrible when things are not the way one would very much like them to be.

5. Emotional disturbance is mainly externally caused and people have or no ability to increase or decrease their dysfunctional feelings and behaviors.

6. If something is or may be dangerous or fearsome, then one should be constantly and excessively concerned about it and should keep dwelling on the possibility of it occurring.

7. One cannot and must not face life’s responsibilities and difficulties and it’s easier to avoid them.

8. One must be quite dependent on others and you need them and you cannot run one’s own life.

9. One’s past history is an all important determiner of one’s present behavior and because something once strongly affected one’s life it should indefinitely have a similar effect.

10. Other peoples disturbances are horrible and one must feel upset about them.

11. There is invariably a right, precise and perfect solution to human problems and it is awful if this perfect solution is not found.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” Viktor E. Frankl

‘The principles of Cognitive Behavior modification'
'Principles'

"The first principle of cognitive therapy is that all your moods are created by your "cognition's," or thoughts. You feel the way you do right now because of the thoughts you are thinking at this moment."

"The second principle is that when you are feeling depressed (or any other negative emotion), your thoughts are dominated by a pervasive negativity. What is even worse-you'll come to believe things really are as bad as you imagine them to be.

"The third principle. Our research has documented that the negative thoughts which cause your emotional turmoil nearly always contain gross distortions. Thinking is a major cause of your suffering.

So the premise here is you have an automatic and nearly unconscious thought. Barring physical pain or unless one is physically threatened or a loved one of their's is in peril then the anger manifested contain gross cognitive fallacies.

If you are experiencing emotional discomfort odds are you are thinking a distorted thought or one of the ten major cognitive distortions.

These distortions are defense mechanisms designed for us to not re-xperience an old trauma or an aspect of unfinished business from our past. You identify the distortion. You replace it with a rational response. Your emotional discomfort lessens." LightSun

KitchenFly

I read your list of Dr. David Burns 10 cognitive thought distortions in the human unconscious. One thing that popped into mind was these ten cognitive thought distortions seen to have one thing in common then seem to be over-compensations expressed when we are at the level of imbalance and overcompensating the unhealthy levels. I'm not short I would define them as flowing from the unconscious I think it is more cause and effect cognitive mechanical distortions like thinking 3+5 = 9 because the self has guessed rather than do the math before speaking. Of Course if challenged the self willact irasionaly. The act of acting irasionaly is not usage of the unconscious. It was simple an error a miscalculation due to an auto response without have done the math without have thought first it was an imbalanced cognitive answer stated.

For you edification

The Levels of Development https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/levels-of-development

Dr. Ellis 11 irrational beliefs. Are valid irrational beliefs.

Last edited: