• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Walking with Jesus

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I once had a thread here expressing the fact that it would be nice to be capable of believing in something... some sort of weight to be removed in a way. An escape from my fear of being just plain bad and irredeemable... forgiveness, you might say. My mind doesn't work that way though, unfortunately.

This is pretty much how I feel. I'm sympathetic to believers, but my brain pretty much rejects that program. It's just not for me. I never felt I needed to evangelize to anyone about that; it always seemed like a personal thing. I don't presume to know what other people need.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey [MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION]! First, I'm so thankful for your bravery in posting this. :hifive:

I follow Jesus too, and have also wrestled with some of what you are talking about. I do agree with [MENTION=21836]Also[/MENTION] about the Struggle, it's good! That said, I believe true life change comes from heart change (not visa versa). That heart change for me, was when I fully realized how freaking much God loved me-- that nothing I could do or be would ever change that, that he accepted me, even in my mess. Once I digested that, and surrendered my hurt and bitterness (over time) there came this crazy realization that a truly full life was about walking with Jesus, and caring about what he cares for-- extending love and grace to all people in his name. Once I realized, and felt that deeply, stuff that used to temp or distract me no longer did. I think it's because I realized the joy and adventure (risk) God calls us to was so much better then any of that!

Do I still fall down sometimes in trying to control my own life? Um, yes. All of the time. Thankfully, our God is so much bigger than that. :)

Not to add to the books being recommended to you, but I'm almost done with one that has blown my mind and encouraged me in some of the areas you are mentioning. It's called "Love Does" (and no, it's not about deeds) by this guy named Bob Goff, who is the most flaming 7 ever. Haha, I love him. He even literally put his phone number on the last page, and I know people who have called and actually spoken with him. And sometimes he even followed up again to see how they were doing! Crazy, the guy is the best kind of crazy possible. Highly recommend it. :yes:

I'll be praying for you sister-- and I mean I really, actually will be saying your user name when I talk to God.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think everyone, religious or not, could probably benefit themselves and others by trying to be more like Jesus.

I wish you all the best.

Beorn

Permabanned
My final statement I had written in response before the thread was chopped up was going to bring it around...

That's fine. Though, in a way I imagine it's kinda relevant as every christian is a bit stuck in the secular milieu. The one that I'm pointing out you take for granted. It has a deep impact on us and how we relate to others. The world has changed. Everyone once presumed that the world was enchanted and meaning was inherent in everything this is what made ghosts and faeries and gods possible. But that's not the case anymore. Now everyone believes there is no inherent meaning in the world and we each have to manufacture our own meaning. This has a tremendous impact on how we approach the faith as everything around us (including friends that mean well on a forum) make completely different presumptions about the world and we ourselves start out with a presumption that God does not exist. So we face issues of faith that Christians didn't face for centuries.

edit 2: Deleted more quarrelsome statements and started a thread here.

Permabanned

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION]: Isn't this really the heart of what you are trying to do - simply to be more like Jesus?

I think everyone, religious or not, could probably benefit themselves and others by trying to be more like Jesus.

I wish you all the best.
I haven't read any of the books that have been suggested, and am not myself a Christian. Still, like BadOctopus I see much in the example of Jesus. Were I to use him as a model, I would go straight to the source, the Bible, and in particular the descriptions of what Jesus himself said and did. The beatitudes are a good place to start.

Beorn

Permabanned
[MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION]: Isn't this really the heart of what you are trying to do - simply to be more like Jesus?

I haven't read any of the books that have been suggested, and am not myself a Christian. Still, like BadOctopus I see much in the example of Jesus. Were I to use him as a model, I would go straight to the source, the Bible, and in particular the descriptions of what Jesus himself said and did. The beatitudes are a good place to start.

Wow, you're not even a christian and you Jesus juked us.
Nice.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps this thread should be moved to the below sub forum -

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/forum99/

"Support and Advice" is a subforum for people to seek advice on personal problems or to discuss sensitive issues. We want members to feel comfortable raising these sensitive issues, so replies here must remain relevant, constructive, and kindly. When you start a thread, set any additional expectations for the kind of feedback you want. Posts made in this subforum will be subject to tighter moderation than on the rest of the forum. This subforum will be limited to members, and threads may be deleted at the author's request.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If the OP requests, I would be happy to move it. It is fine for it to stay here, though, due to the topic. Up to [MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION].

My intention was to open discussion up on what it means to follow Jesus, not seek advice for what I put out there in the OP. I think I like it here better :)

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I will tell you the experience of my friend Bob, a made up name, for confidentiality reasons.

Bob was slung in the throws of a university at the age 18. I say "slung in the throws" because Bob was spinning out of control, a long with many of his friends.

In one year he tripped on Caps 12 times, LSD once, and well there was more to his history....

One night Bob was tripping and he was kneeling on the ground thinking of ending it because the trip was so bad - gawd awful trip, worst of the worst.

But he looked up on the Wall and out came the face of Jesus himself.

He prayed and knew even though he felt totaly insane he would be alright. Most people don't make it to where Bob did and come back - ever. Bob lives a normal life now and is doing well, addiction free - even quit cigarettes, and is a rolemodel for those around him.

Bob doesn't go to church much, and doesn't put too much stock in anything because he knows and feels the presence of something that saved him that night.

Endlessly, he sees the signs and they always lead him back to the Jesus. But his view on the Christ is different than most. He's a quiet man but Bob is sane and has kids today and functions very well.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A's I've grown I've become somewhat of a strange Christian. I take the view that I am a Christian Shaman - this is a very polarizing thing to say, and I am come from perhaps the strictest Christian church on earth.

For the record I am not church going now and I am not sure if I need to be. I fear small communities and I fear people learning of my interests in occult taboo things. If I could have the courage to be who I was I'm not sure how it would go...but one day maybe I won't be afraid to tell people what my interests really are.

I love your whole post but I really relate to this part. I am still extremely active in the faith of my youth, but I added to it points of spirituality from around the world. For me, it doesn't lessen my original faith, as we are encouraged to find truth.

I truly believe that all true things add value to our life and just because it isn't as easy to explain as traditional religion, does not mean it isn't true as well.

Our bodies are marvelous things and our spirits connect us to each other as well as the greater knowledge that is out there.

So many demonize what they do not understand, yet opening ourselves up to greater understanding is a strong part of spiritual growth.

I don't advertise my interest in extra matters, but I sprinkle it mixed with other knowledge. I don't want to ruin anyone else's opportunity to awaken, but I help those I can, if that makes sense.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't advertise my interest in extra matters, but I sprinkle it mixed with other knowledge. I don't want to ruin anyone else's opportunity to awaken, but I help those I can, if that makes sense.
Exactly. I'm not a Christian, but associate frequently with Christian groups, even church groups. I am sure most assume I am Christian. I don't disabuse them of that impression explicitly by putting alternative labels on myself, but I am entirely candid about what I believe. People can and will make of it as they see fit, but at least they have heard some alternative perspectives.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Exactly. I'm not a Christian, but associate frequently with Christian groups, even church groups. I am sure most assume I am Christian. I don't disabuse them of that impression explicitly by putting alternative labels on myself, but I am entirely candid about what I believe. People can and will make of it as they see fit, but at least they have heard some alternative perspectives.

I'm too selfish to do that. It's in my blood, I guess. Anyway, I wonder if those groups are cool with bearing false witness against your neighbor.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm too selfish to do that. It's in my blood, I guess. Anyway, I wonder if those groups are cool with bearing false witness against your neighbor.
The Christian groups? I'm sure they would all agree that bearing false witness is bad, since it is forbidden in the Ten Commandments. I have yet to meet a spiritual group that claims to condone such behavior, but then I see plenty (including plenty of Christians) who don't practice what they preach in this respect.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Christian groups? I'm sure they would all agree that bearing false witness is bad, since it is forbidden in the Ten Commandments. I have yet to meet a spiritual group that claims to condone such behavior, but then I see plenty (including plenty of Christians) who don't practice what they preach in this respect.

I think really only certain kinds of people are capable of doing the false witness thing. I think people from an oppressed group, like women, are, by nature, incapable of bearing false witness. Equality does not equal identity. The moral natures of men and women are different in this regard.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think really only certain kinds of people are capable of doing the false witness thing. I think people from an oppressed group, like women, are, by nature, incapable of bearing false witness. Equality does not equal identity. The moral natures of men and women are different in this regard.
If they are different, the difference comes not from gender but rather from how that gender is received and treated by others. Women certainly do bear false witness, against men and against each other. Men do, too. Neither sex has a monopoly on any of the vices, or virtues.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If they are different, the difference comes not from gender but rather from how that gender is received and treated by others. Women certainly do bear false witness, against men and against each other. Men do, too. Neither sex has a monopoly on any of the vices, or virtues.

I think oppressed people are inherently more virtuous, though.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think oppressed people are inherently more virtuous, though.
Oppression can cut either way, though. It can make people value justice and compassion more, and live by their higher values and principles; or it can make them bitter and jaded, prepared to take whatever they can get however they can get it, because they feel they have been screwed over and "society" owes it to them.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oppression can cut either way, though. It can make people value justice and compassion more, influencing their own actions; or it can make them bitter and jaded, prepared to take whatever they can get however they can, because they feel they have been screwed over and "society" owes it to them.

I think it's kinda racist to say a member of a minority group doesn't have a right to feel bitter. You're denying them the freedom of their own will, which strikes me as colonialist exploitation.