• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type My Family

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I made a thread on my family's types a really long time ago, but it was a slow era on the forum and it didn't get many replies, so I'm just going to make it all over again. Thoughts on Enneagram and possibly MBTI? Very curious.

Dad

-Clever, loves puns and jokes
-Personable and genuine. Wants coworkers to feel appreciated, tells jokes and actively listens to them.
-Extremely hardworking and says he is "lazy" when he lets himself take a break.
-Sensitive and worries what others think of him.
-Prone to melancholy and self-defeatism.
-Perfectionistic and way too hard on himself.
-Frugal, hates waste, reuses things until they physically break.
-Can be very self-absorbed when upset.
-Often a great person to talk to because he can relate and not overcomplicate things.
-Good at socializing but doesn't like parties, more likely to be approached than to approach others.
-"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
-Doesn't cry a lot.
-Cynical.
-Gets upset about whether or not he is good, calls himself "bad" when down on himself.
-Bitter about childhood/past, talks a lot about negative memories.
-Talks a lot about his past.
-Can be shy and not likely to chit-chat with strangers.

Types I've considered: ISTJ, ISFJ, 1w2, 6w5, 6w7, sp/so

Mom
-Extremely friendly and welcomes new neighbors.
-Can talk to anyone including strangers, has a way of finding out stuff about people (had a long conversation with somebody and found the SAT scores of both the stranger and his son).
-Not always great at expressing herself through words, but does other things to make people feel loved (drives me to the store and buys me cake when I'm sad).
-Deeply dislikes inappropriate things and will walk out on movies with sex or excessive bad language.
-Can always find the good in bad situations, always has something to be thankful for.
-Unlike my dad, she does not talk a lot about her past.
-Inventive, knows how to fix or make things out of almost anything (fixed our microwave with Legos, built a door in our basement, etc.).
-Very mathematically and spatially oriented.
-Sometimes has views with very specific evidence from friends rather than findings within the scientific community.
-Selfless, puts up with a lot and still keeps going.
-"Shuts down" in conflict and copes it with by watching Netflix or eating food.
-Avoids debates/arguments and tries to tune out when they happen.
-Simultaneously self-assertive and doesn't mind sending back food, telling people they can't park in visitor spaces, etc.
-Sticks to the rules, even if they're silly.
-Assumes the best about people.
-Trusting and not cynical, unlike my dad.

Types I've considered: ESFJ, ISFJ, ENFJ, 9w8, 9w1, 2, so/sp, sp/so

Brother

-Polite and formal.
-I sometimes can't tell if he's being facetious or serious.
-Stays out of arguments, but has a strong sense of justice and will suddenly speak up on certain things.
-Helpful.
-Deep love of learning, reads science books and does math just for the fun of it.
-Excellent, model student; diligent, straight-A's, highly intelligent.
-Feels sad when people like him only for his intelligence/prodigy STEM skills, wants to be liked as a person.
-Cultured, loves to cook and try new things.
-Rarely brings up personal views and does not discuss feelings.
-Used to spend most of his of time alone in his room when younger, but has become much more open over the years and since he went to college.
-Keeps his cool and rarely, if ever, has displays of temper (but does get annoyed and snippy).
-Laughs at trivial and useless things, such as pointless projects in school, but only in private/with friends and is not vocal about it.
-Extremely respectful and well-mannered.
-Does not say that things are stupid; instead, he subtly mocks/imitates/exaggerates them to bring attention to their stupidity.
-Did not always belong as a kid and was slightly awkward, but has now found a place he belongs and is well-appreciated by everyone.
-Private; I wish I knew more about his views and feelings.
-Exceptionally logical and reasonable.

Types I've considered: INTJ, INFJ, INTP, 9w1, 1w9, 5w6

Sister

-Daring and doesn't mind some danger.
-Very insightful, makes metaphors when explaining tough topics. "It's kind of like a tree..." or "I see it as a swimming pool..." Then goes deeper into the metaphor.
-Hates feeling weak, wants to be strong and tough.
-Not a fan of optimism, silver linings, or rosy idealism.
-Slightly dark sense of humor.
-Says her purpose is to save lives and be a rescuer (interested in being an EMT).
-Needs to feel useful.
-Calls people out and doesn't take bullshit.
-Simultaneously very unassertive, stands up for others and for "justice" but not her own good.
-Nonchalant about much of life. Motto: "None of my affair."
-Exceedingly loyal and feels crushed when loyalty is not returned.
-Loyal to a small few and has trouble making new friends, often doesn't desire new friends.
-Immensely private. Even has separate passwords for each app on her phone, feels that many things are "too intimate."
-Needs to get out and drive/exercise, can't deal with being shut in all day.
-Good and noble person, but not friendly.
-Highly observant and analytical.
-Quiet and often somewhat unapproachable, intimidating.
-Says top values are belonging and impartiality.
-Can be animated or loud among a very close group of friends, then often feels bad afterward, feeling obnoxious.
-Paranoid that close friends hate her.
-Prone to sulking, melancholy, and pessimism.
-Impulsive and often in debt.

Types I've considered: ISTP, ISFP, INTP, ESTP, 6w5, 5w6, 9w8, 8w9, sp/sx, sx/sp

Thanks for reading thus far.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I'll write more or clarify if it's necessary.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your brother sounds a lot like a coworker I spend a great deal of time with, and whose type I'd estimate as INTJ 5w6.

Also, not too set of Si-Dom for your dad, though it is still a possibility. I actually relate to most of your description of him - the classic melancholic temperament.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dad ISFJ
Mom SFP
Bro INTJ 5w6
Sis INFJ 6w5

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Slightly complicated, but it's what I think.

Dad: INFP, INFp.
Mom: INFJ, ESTj.
Brother: INTJ, INFj.
Sister: INFP, ISFj.

ENTP-Guy

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dad: ISFJ 3wX (possibly 4)
I'm gonna continue writing down on this post but im in Kosovo right now so bear with me.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just some thoughts that I had, not meant to be conclusive. Overall, I think your narrowing down of applicable Enneagram types is great!

Dad
Sounds like 6w5 to me, and some very similar nuances to a So/Sp one that I know-- the spectrum of friendly/wanting to be included in something bigger vs. feeling down on self or overly cynical when that inclusivity/friendliness is not reciprocated. Specifically, I think your description reads 6+5 much more than 1 because the energy is lacking the trademark "righteous anger" that I've come to recognize in 1's (even if it's under the surface). I've weighed in on many cases of 1's or 6w5's narrowing it down to those two types before correctly identifying! It's kind of a fascinating pattern, actually. :D Some of the major differences, I think, are that 1's come across as much more self confident, with an air of correctness; 6w5 on the other hand, walks smaller and has a more fragile hope about them (which can result in cynicism when broken, or loyal friendliness when not).

As to instincts, here's a more detailed look at 6 and 5 instincts in particular (based on Naranjo and Ichazo). I'm not sure how much you'd read into that, so apologies if it's redundant. :blush:

Mom
Overall, sounds like 9w1 and you may also be correct about instincts (though I'd guess SP-dom because of the lack of verbal processing). You've described really well some of the coping mechanisms of 9, specifically in conflict, and I think a 1-wing is much more probable than 8 due to the the rule-following. Even your mention of her carrying the opinions of friends with weight feels both 9 and 1, and reminds me a lot of 1 friends that I know. Clearly, the 9 part is being somewhat impressionable and wanting to agree to minimize conflict, but the 1 part (from my observations of others) seems to be something to do with their utmost desire to find truth-- which has a funny way (under stress) of making them sometimes too open minded in order to find it.

Close look at 9 and 1 instincts, like above.

Brother
Less certain here but sounds more 5 than 9 to me, specifically because he's occasionally willing to ruffle feathers. ;) I also see glimpses of what could be 4 and 6 in your description, which solidifies the theory of a 5 core IMO. Perhaps for this one, it would make sense to think about any health shifts you've seen in him and what they look like. Personally, I see integration/disintegration in myself for both core and wing. Now that he's more "healthy", there would be more of an 8 influence (if he's a 5)-- standing up for those downtrodden, using his inner intelligence tangibly in the world (instead of just in his head), becoming more active in the body (finding mind/body balance). Does that ring true?

Sister
Yes, this is a great one to compare with your brother, as there is so much more 9 here-- but as you've clearly nailed down, very likely with an 8 component. That cold/solid reserve, fears of intimacy (with probably a deep well underneath) and a blend of compliant/aggressive is pretty indicative of 8+9 people. 9w8 tends to be more "faded" IMO, in that they blend in and go with the flow until something needs to be said (the name "Referee" is actually pretty appropriate). 8w9 on the other hand is more "grounded" and obviously formidable. When you say that she can be intimidating, do you think that because she's withdrawn/reserved/unapproachable, or intimidation because of a strong (if silent) presence? A tie breaker to determine which is her core, may have to be looking at the health spectrum again (I think it's one of the most accurate ways).
8 ---> 2: healthy when exercising servant leadership, in a way that cares for others-- Learning to be vulnerable in order to grow compassion.
9 ---> 3: looks more like embracing their influence through pure-hearted leadership and a health-based confidence (rooted in humility)-- Learning that they have something valuable to contribute.

That's all I've got for now! :yes:

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dad, seems like an INTJ actually.
Mom, seems Fe-ish maybe xNFJ.
Brother, INTJ.
Sister, ISFP.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Your brother sounds a lot like a coworker I spend a great deal of time with, and whose type I'd estimate as INTJ 5w6.

Also, not too set of Si-Dom for your dad, though it is still a possibility. I actually relate to most of your description of him - the classic melancholic temperament.

So do you think ISFP for my dad, then?

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Dad
Sounds like 6w5 to me, and some very similar nuances to a So/Sp one that I know-- the spectrum of friendly/wanting to be included in something bigger vs. feeling down on self or overly cynical when that inclusivity/friendliness is not reciprocated. Specifically, I think your description reads 6+5 much more than 1 because the energy is lacking the trademark "righteous anger" that I've come to recognize in 1's (even if it's under the surface). I've weighed in on many cases of 1's or 6w5's narrowing it down to those two types before correctly identifying! It's kind of a fascinating pattern, actually. :D Some of the major differences, I think, are that 1's come across as much more self confident, with an air of correctness; 6w5 on the other hand, walks smaller and has a more fragile hope about them (which can result in cynicism when broken, or loyal friendliness when not).

As to instincts, here's a more detailed look at 6 and 5 instincts in particular (based on Naranjo and Ichazo). I'm not sure how much you'd read into that, so apologies if it's redundant. :blush:

I can see my dad as a 6w5, but definitely of the phobic variety. Still unsure of 5 influence. I guess he seems way too personable/friendly to be influenced by 5, but maybe that's just stereotyped. But both of us being phobic 6's might explain our similarities. We are very similar in our sensitivities, emotions, expression, etc. I'm just a lot more carefree, free-spirited, and relaxed than he is--which could be accounted for by me being a phobic 6 with a 7 wing. I think.

Mom
Overall, sounds like 9w1 and you may also be correct about instincts (though I'd guess SP-dom because of the lack of verbal processing). You've described really well some of the coping mechanisms of 9, specifically in conflict, and I think a 1-wing is much more probable than 8 due to the the rule-following. Even your mention of her carrying the opinions of friends with weight feels both 9 and 1, and reminds me a lot of 1 friends that I know. Clearly, the 9 part is being somewhat impressionable and wanting to agree to minimize conflict, but the 1 part (from my observations of others) seems to be something to do with their utmost desire to find truth-- which has a funny way (under stress) of making them sometimes too open minded in order to find it.

Close look at 9 and 1 instincts, like above.

9w1 makes sense, yeah. I guess I never thought of her as much of a 9 due to stereotypes. Part of it could be her being a Je-dom. So an ESFJ 9w1 would respond very differently than an INFP 9w1, I suppose (just to bring in MBTI).

Brother
Less certain here but sounds more 5 than 9 to me, specifically because he's occasionally willing to ruffle feathers. ;) I also see glimpses of what could be 4 and 6 in your description, which solidifies the theory of a 5 core IMO. Perhaps for this one, it would make sense to think about any health shifts you've seen in him and what they look like. Personally, I see integration/disintegration in myself for both core and wing. Now that he's more "healthy", there would be more of an 8 influence (if he's a 5)-- standing up for those downtrodden, using his inner intelligence tangibly in the world (instead of just in his head), becoming more active in the body (finding mind/body balance). Does that ring true?

It's hard for me to comment on growth directions because I don't know him as well as I'd like to--again, he really doesn't talk about that kind of thing. I have noticed growth though. I think he is less bitter/cynical, less irritable, and just softer overall. He used to be a lot angrier. Now it's almost as if he's found God (this isn't a stab at atheists/agnostics, I'm just using the phrase because it fits, literally and figuratively). His fuse is much, much longer than it used to be. I don't know if this growth correlates to 5, because the 9 influence also seems quite strong.

Sister
Yes, this is a great one to compare with your brother, as there is so much more 9 here-- but as you've clearly nailed down, very likely with an 8 component. That cold/solid reserve, fears of intimacy (with probably a deep well underneath) and a blend of compliant/aggressive is pretty indicative of 8+9 people. 9w8 tends to be more "faded" IMO, in that they blend in and go with the flow until something needs to be said (the name "Referee" is actually pretty appropriate). 8w9 on the other hand is more "grounded" and obviously formidable. When you say that she can be intimidating, do you think that because she's withdrawn/reserved/unapproachable, or intimidation because of a strong (if silent) presence? A tie breaker to determine which is her core, may have to be looking at the health spectrum again (I think it's one of the most accurate ways).
8 ---> 2: healthy when exercising servant leadership, in a way that cares for others-- Learning to be vulnerable in order to grow compassion.
9 ---> 3: looks more like embracing their influence through pure-hearted leadership and a health-based confidence (rooted in humility)-- Learning that they have something valuable to contribute.

From what you're describing, she does seem more 9w8 than 8w9. The referee thing definitely fits. One of my proudest moments of her was when a boy (age 17) was being very disrespectful towards a female superior, and he just walked away while she was talking. My sister ran up, blocked the door, and totally shut the whole thing down. However, she was visibly upset afterwards, feeling that she'd gotten in trouble and ruined everything. It wasn't until I gave her a hug and joked around some (I joke to make people feel better) that she started to laugh and realize how brave she'd been. I think this kind of thing drains her in the moment, but then gives her immense pride afterwards.

As a kid she seemed way more 8. She was (and still can be) highly manipulative to get what she wants, and she used to have anger and violence issues. Most of that has gone away and I think she feels really bad about it.

I think she is intimidating because she's withdrawn, but she's also very intense. She doesn't fit the stereotypical female image; instead, she wears mostly black/dark colors and "androgynous" clothing. Not that this is bad at all, and I hope this doesn't come off as offensive, but it's just something I've noticed. Oh, come to think of it, my sister doesn't really smile that much. When most people talk to her, she kind of gives them a blank stare and speaks in a very brief/monotone voice. "Okay." "Cool." "Nice." Truly a woman of few words. So I think she has more of a 9w8 presence than 8w9. She's just highly solitary, hates group work, and feels socially wiped out after even a 15 minute conversation with a stranger/new acquaintance. So all of that makes her kind of unapproachable. One girl told me, "She seems really cool. It's just that she also seems to have a black cloud over her head."

Could some of this be due to a sx instinct? If she's a 9w8, she's got to have sx higher up in the stacking. Sp/sx or sx/sp. I'm a so/sx and neither of my parents have sx up there. Talking with my sister feels like someone "gets" me. All the sx stuff, she feels it too. We are radically different but also similar if you dig deep enough. She is truly my best friend.

Based on your integration explanations, she seems to fit 9 more. She does have issues with vulnerability, but I'd say she's caring and compassionate deep down. She could grow by being more confident in herself. Also, disintegration to 6 makes a whole lot of sense--the paranoia.

That's all I've got for now! :yes:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. :)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Your dad is an obvious ISxJ. Sounds like a morph of me and my dad (ISFJ and ISTJ).

Mom, ExFJ, not sure if Si or Ni.

Brother, no idea atm.

Sister, ISFP I think.

Duffy

From what you're describing, she does seem more 9w8 than 8w9. The referee thing definitely fits. One of my proudest moments of her was when a boy (age 17) was being very disrespectful towards a female superior, and he just walked away while she was talking. My sister ran up, blocked the door, and totally shut the whole thing down. However, she was visibly upset afterwards, feeling that she'd gotten in trouble and ruined everything. It wasn't until I gave her a hug and joked around some (I joke to make people feel better) that she started to laugh and realize how brave she'd been. I think this kind of thing drains her in the moment, but then gives her immense pride afterwards.

As a kid she seemed way more 8. She was (and still can be) highly manipulative to get what she wants, and she used to have anger and violence issues. Most of that has gone away and I think she feels really bad about it.

I think she is intimidating because she's withdrawn, but she's also very intense. She doesn't fit the stereotypical female image; instead, she wears mostly black/dark colors and "androgynous" clothing. Not that this is bad at all, and I hope this doesn't come off as offensive, but it's just something I've noticed. Oh, come to think of it, my sister doesn't really smile that much. When most people talk to her, she kind of gives them a blank stare and speaks in a very brief/monotone voice. "Okay." "Cool." "Nice." Truly a woman of few words. So I think she has more of a 9w8 presence than 8w9. She's just highly solitary, hates group work, and feels socially wiped out after even a 15 minute conversation with a stranger/new acquaintance. So all of that makes her kind of unapproachable. One girl told me, "She seems really cool. It's just that she also seems to have a black cloud over her head."

Could some of this be due to a sx instinct? If she's a 9w8, she's got to have sx higher up in the stacking. Sp/sx or sx/sp. I'm a so/sx and neither of my parents have sx up there. Talking with my sister feels like someone "gets" me. All the sx stuff, she feels it too. We are radically different but also similar if you dig deep enough. She is truly my best friend.

Based on your integration explanations, she seems to fit 9 more. She does have issues with vulnerability, but I'd say she's caring and compassionate deep down. She could grow by being more confident in herself. Also, disintegration to 6 makes a whole lot of sense--the paranoia.

Uh... your sister doesn't sound like a 9 at all to me, at least not a core 9. She sounds like she'd fit better on the bottom half of the enneagram. The bold resonates with me. Also the thing about the black cloud strikes me as antithetical to the 9 fixation. Coming across that way draws a stronger impression and generate more conflict.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Uh... your sister doesn't sound like a 9 at all to me, at least not a core 9. She sounds like she'd fit better on the bottom half of the enneagram. The bold resonates with me. Also the thing about the black cloud strikes me as antithetical to the 9 fixation. Coming across that way draws a stronger impression and generate more conflict.

I have a strong 9 fix (many still claim I'm a 9 core but I disagree, I'm a 6) and I definitely have that sort of monotone/melancholy/unapproachable thing going on. :shrug:

Then again, I don't know if she's actually a 9.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7

What about 6w5 counterphobic? Or 5w6?

Your dad is an obvious ISxJ. Sounds like a morph of me and my dad (ISFJ and ISTJ).

Mom, ExFJ, not sure if Si or Ni.

Brother, no idea atm.

Sister, ISFP I think.

Hm...why F over T?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hm...why F over T?

Fi and Ti are pretty similar. They both can bite but they feel different. You know your sister better than I do; I don't think bluntness is an exclusively T thing. Definitely an SP though.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mother: INTJ 6w7
Father: ESTJ 9w1
Sister: INFP 9w1
Sister: INFJ 4w3
Brother: INFP 4w3
Husband: ENTP 7w8

Duffy

I have a strong 9 fix (many still claim I'm a 9 core but I disagree, I'm a 6) and I definitely have that sort of monotone/melancholy/unapproachable thing going on. :shrug:

So people claim you're a core 9, but also claim you're melancholic and unapproachable? Am I correct in assuming the latter or is this restricted to your perception of yourself?

What about 6w5 counterphobic? Or 5w6?

She sounds like 6w5cp, and social-last to me. 5w6 is a possibility, but I'm not sure as I tend to pigeon hole 5w6 to the "awkward-endearing-intellectual" archetype, as there's a lot of social instinct present in 5 descriptions.

This bit here:

One of my proudest moments of her was when a boy (age 17) was being very disrespectful towards a female superior, and he just walked away while she was talking. My sister ran up, blocked the door, and totally shut the whole thing down. However, she was visibly upset afterwards, feeling that she'd gotten in trouble and ruined everything. It wasn't until I gave her a hug and joked around some (I joke to make people feel better) that she started to laugh and realize how brave she'd been.

I agree with small wonder regarding compliance/aggression, but I don't attribute this to 9/8. Being allergic to conflict is different from being allergic to persecution. Riso and Hudson once attributed 6s as being fearful of aggression, yet sometimes being aggressive themselves.

CakeByTheOcean

Instinctual Variant
sx/so
imo

Dad: ISfJ 1w?
Mom: EnFJ 2w1(maybe)
Brother: INTJ 1w9
Sister: IStP 6w7