• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TYPE ME!

mandy_snow

Hello everyone!

I am new to Typology Central but have been "studying" Jungian Psychology and MBTI for 10 years. On the MBTI, I've typed as an INFJ since I was 18. I'm now 28 and scoring as an ISFJ consistently; with a few randon INFP results. I've always considered myself an "intuitive" type, but I'm wondering if I had a false perception of myself.

I am also struggling to determine my enneagram type. I have received results for type 9w1, 2w1, and 6w5.

A little bit about me:

I lean toward idealism, but my ideals (of how things should be) are always grounded in reality. I enjoy theory, but not for the sake of loving theories; they need to have a practical application. For example, I am a mental health professional and only enjoy using theories when implementing the knowledge and skills into my practice. However, I do make connections about patterns, events, people, and seemingly unrelated phenomena.

I often think about/plan for the future, but most of my thoughts are on the here and now. I'm open to new methods, but often refer back to my personal experience when analyzing situations. I struggle with change and tend to catastrophize unfamiliar situations/environments/endeavors until I feel more comfortable.

I remember details about people and situations that shock those around me. I notice the slightest change in someone's behavior or appearance. I HATE conflict and avoid it at all costs unless I am forced to confront an issue (on someone else'e behalf). Rarely will I voice my needs, opinions, or desires for fear of causing drama. I just want to live a peaceful, harmonious life with the people I love. I am generally accommodating with others, and go with the flow of the group.

I can relate to all 3 MBTI and enneagram types and I'm having trouble identifying my dominant cognitive function. I've done tons of research, but I still can't decide. I just truly want to settle this issue and know my type. I can say with certainty that I identify with Si, Fe, Ti, and Ne, but the descriptions of ISFJ aren't congruent with how I view myself. I assume that has to do with reading short-sided online type descriptions. I've read a large portion of the descriptions in these forums about the differences between Fi, Si, and Ni, but I am unable to identify my dominant function.

Can anyone offer insight into how you discovered your "true" type?

mandy_snow

Oh...and to add a few more notes:

• I know for a fact I'm primarily introverted (and not in the stereotypical sense). My focus and energy is drawn inwards first, then I move toward outer focus.
  • One of my primary motivations is comfort and peace. I want to be physically, mentally, (etc.) comfortable. I also aim to bring comfort and peace to others. I am very attuned to my bodily needs and sensations and experience the slightest change within my body. I'm always prepared and have tools on hand to maintain my comfort (and the comfort of others) such as painkillers, sweaters, snacks, etc.
  • I am concerned about doing things the "right" way and doing what should be done. Rather than what I actually WANT to do. It's not that I don't have desires, I just default to doing things as they should be done. I value the integrity I have for keeping my word and supporting others when I can. A lot of people rely on me consistently for emotional and practical support. I spend a lot of time doing things for others, tending to their physical needs and being an emotional support. But in my spare time, I am either completing tasks around the house, running errands, exercising or doing frivolous things (watching tv, reading, napping, playing brain games).
  • I'm not frequently adventurous but enjoy traveling occasionally to get out of my immediate environment. I also like making small changes when I'm stressed like changing my hair, changing my nail color, rearranging furniture in my home, or doing something artistic like singing and playing the piano. (I have such an exciting life, right? hahaha).
  • I am very analytical, always analyzing new and old information. Trying to understand how things work and why things are as they are. Are these things consistent with what I've known and experienced? I also overanalyze my interactions with others and their behaviors. I'll still contemplate an occurrence long after it's ended. For instance, getting into an argument with a friend. Wondering how the situation should have been handled. I reflect on the past a lot, it often dictates my future. I almost feel anchored to the past in a sense. But I'm not STUCK in the past. I care about my future and need to have a solid, concrete plan in place.
  • I'm frequently in tune with other people's moods/emotions and often absorb the "feel" of the environment I'm in. If everyone's sad, I'm sad. If they're happy, I'm happy...and so on.
  • I am hyper aware of my environment, both physical and social. I notice the slightest changes in both environments and adjust accordingly. If the rug has moved (even an inch) I can tell immediately. If something is not in its proper place, I can tell and I'll fix it. This is an issue my ISTJ husband and I have because our idea of how things should be differs in some ways. He's less critical than I am about the organization and placement of objects, but I believe everything has a proper place. Thankfully we have similar tastes and ways of completing tasks, but how we organize things is much different.
  • I am not traditional in the sense of being traditional, but I do honor family traditions. For example, my husband and I decided to start our own Christmas tradition after we got married. Every Christmas, he makes a delicious breakfast and we watch Christmas movies. It's simple but meaningful to us and something we'd like to continue doing after we have children. I love making memories with others and capturing those moments to review later. They're precious to me and still vivid in my mind.
  • Lastly, I do not feel special, unique, weird, or odd. While I acknowledge that all humans have differences, I don't focus on the differences unless they're causing conflict. Then I'll begin to reflect on how these different dynamics are impacting our harmony and interactions. I more so highlight similarities to connect with others. I don't often reflect on who I am/what I want unless it's for the purpose of understanding social dynamics with others. That's why I'm driven to understand my personality types so I can learn how I relate to other people. I'm self aware, but my "self" is not my primary focus. Most of my thoughts are centered around "what needs to get done"? "What is the best way to do this?" "Is this way consistent with how things have been?"
I'm not sure if this additional information is helpful, but I sure hope so! Thanks for taking the time to read this. Have a lovely day :)

- - - Updated - - -

have you looked under the bed
Yep! Not a clue in sight :D

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You really sound like a 9. I could see the 6 also. But I bet you're 9 core.

Here's a good questionnaire, could you fill out out?
New Questionnaire To Fill Out!

If you feel up to it, you could also make a collage of images that speak to you.

mandy_snow

You really sound like a 9. I could see the 6 also. But I bet you're 9 core. Here's a good questionnaire, could you fill out out? New Questionnaire To Fill Out! If you feel up to it, you could also make a collage of images that speak to you.

Responses to the questionnaire:

1) Context:

a) Age: 28
Ethnicity: African American
Politics: I don't have strong political beliefs, but identify as a democrat.
Religion: Christian, although I hardly identify with religious practices.

b) Which types are you currently considering? Why are you considering them and why haven't you decided on one?

MBTI: ISFJ, INFJ, and INFP
Enneagram: 9w1 and 6w5
I've received these results on the online tests and they resonate with me. However, none of them resonate completely, so I'm confused about my cognitive functions. I relate most to the functions of an ISFJ, but the ISFJ descriptions online aren't completely accurate.

2) What do you deem as your purpose in life?
My purpose in life is to add to the love and peace in the world. I believe in serving others through practical means, and encouraging them to find their purpose.

3) Of the seven deadly sins, which one(s) do you relate to the most and the least and why?

I relate most to the deadly sin of "sloth". Although I am productive in my career and active in my relationships, I tend to only do enough to get by. I'd rather relax at home and "zone out" then work on what's important. I keep my word to others, but not to myself. I easily neglect my own needs and goals. I've been working to focus on my personal goals, but struggle to get out of my comfort zone.
I relate the least to greed and wrath. I'm not an angry person, in fact, my anger is often repressed and non-existent. If I feel anger begin to arise, I quickly shift my focus to something more pleasant. In terms of greed, I am not concerned about acquiring an excess of material things. I value what the physical world offers, but I'm not in pursuit of those things. I mostly focus on the "necessities" of life such as clothes, shoes, etc.

4) Analyzing your relationships with others, briefly describe:

a) The type of people you are drawn to:
I am drawn to all kinds of people. I typically get along well with everyone I encounter. Based on the people I interact with frequently, I'd say I am most drawn to people who are quiet, kind, considerate, intellectual, ambitious, dependable, grounded, organized, and plan-oriented.

b) The type of people who are drawn to you:
The people who are drawn to me are often what I've described above with the exception of the few who have been narcissistic. Those people seemed to believe that because I'm agreeable and accommodating that I'm also naive and easily manipulated.

c) The type of people you are repulsed by:
I am repulsed by anyone who is rude, inconsiderate, evil, hateful and inflicting harm onto another person. I also steer clear of prideful and overbearing people.

5)What are the traits in others that you admire but you cannot emulate yourself? Elaborate.
I admire other people's ability to say "no" to others and firmly stand by what's true to them. I've been working on saying "no" and expressing my needs/thoughts/desires, etc., but it's extremely challenging.

6) Describe your relationship with the following:

a) Anger: it's mostly dormant, but when it does surface, it's explosive and briefly uncontrolled.
b) Shame: I feel shame for not advocating for myself. I also experience shame when I don't live up to my own standards. I'm my worst critic.
c) Fear: I am fearful of abandonment and losing the people I love; which is why I often strive for peace and harmony in relationships.
d) Love/passion: I don't have much passion, honestly. I find that I'm most passionate about loving others; and now focusing on loving myself. I will freely give my love to my intimates, but I need to start doing that for me too. I am also passionate about my career and serving others in therapy.
e) Conflict: I avoid conflict at all costs unless I'm forced to address something.

7) What are some of the themes that have played a prominent role in your life (ie. A struggle you've been unable to conquer, ect)?
My greatest struggle has been letting go of how things "used to be" and accepting what is. I've also struggled with advocating for myself.

8) Answer only one of the following:
a) [College aged and above] What is your area of work/study? Why did you choose this and would you change it? If so, what would be your ideal?

I have a Masters in Clinical Psychology and I'm pursuing my MFT and PCC licenses. I chose to be a mental health professional because I desire to support people in achieving wellness in all areas of their lives. I aim to help them discover the practical tools and steps necessary to accomplish their goals. I work with a broad range of demographics, but my specialty is trauma-focused therapy. I plan to stay in this field until I retire.

9) When meeting a new person, what do you tend to focus on?
I focus on their appearance: facial features, hair, clothes/style, teeth and smile, skin, eyes, how "groomed" they appear to be, etc. I also focus on their mannerisms, expressions, voice intonation, and body language. After I've observed those things, I recognize their mood and emotional state.

10) How do you feel about humanity as a whole? What do you feel are some of the biggest problems the human race faces and why?
I love humanity, but I fear that we have lost our sense of compassion and empathy.

11) What are some of your hobbies and interests?
â—¦ Travel to new places
â—¦ Learn new languages
â—¦ Zip line
â—¦ Get massages/manicure/pedicure/facial
â—¦ Read books and articles
â—¦ Write (poetry/songs/stories)
â—¦ Journal
â—¦ Go for a nature walk or hike
â—¦ Walk/run/relax at beach
â—¦ Nap
â—¦ Watch my favorite cartoons from childhood
â—¦ Go see a movie
â—¦ Do puzzles/play games
â—¦ Paint
â—¦ Bike ride
â—¦ Relax in jacuzzi/take bubble bath
â—¦ Organize my environment
â—¦ Go shopping
â—¦ Listen to music
â—¦ Capture moments through photos
â—¦ Exercise/dance
â—¦ Eat dessert/try new foods
â—¦ Get my car washed
â—¦ Relax at the park
â—¦ Spend time with family

12)I think this question was missing.

13) How do you usually "hang out" with your friend(s)? When answering, think about what activities you tend to choose, whether you hang out with one person at once or many, whether or not you initiate the interaction.
I don't initiate interactions with friends, in fact, I have very few friends. I hang out with a friend once a month, sometimes every couple months. Our hangouts consist of having dinner at a restaurant, going to the spa, going to see a movie, or relaxing at my home with a bottle of wine and snacks. I like to keep things low key and usually avoid crowds.

14) What is more important, actions or words? Why?
Both are equally important, but actions are demonstrative. I believe words give context to how/what we feel and the motives behind our actions. Our words and actions should always be consistent and congruent.

15) Oh dear, you've been cursed by a witch! It's ok though, you get a choice on which curse you will receive. Will you choose….
a) To never be able to experience the sensation of taste
b) To be immortal
c) To lose your memories
d) To be poor for the rest of your life
e) Or to never experience passion
Elaborate on why!

I would choose any option other than losing my memory. I couldn't imagine losing my memory. My memories are all I have to keep the past alive and vivid. If I had to choose one curse, I'd gladly lose my sense of taste. I'd be able to remember what certain foods taste like, so I'd use those memories as I'm eating LOL.

16) What do you hope to avoid being? If it helps, describe a person who embodies what you avoid/you as a villain, ect.
I hope to avoid being a cold-hearted person. I've experienced a lot of trauma in my life, and have worked to not allow things to change me. I want to remain the warm, conscientious person I've always been.

17) How do you relate to obsession? Do you tend to "merge" with others or your interests? How do you feel about the idea of doing this?
I'm not sure what's meant by "relate to obsession", but I tend to obsess over the unknown. I hate the unknown, it makes feel uncomfortable.
I merge with others and their interests, but eventually withdraw so that I can re-center myself. I'm tired of merging and want to begin working on my own interests.

18) Organized or messy? Plans and blueprints or impulse and surprises? What are you preferences and tendencies?
I am highly organized, I can't function in messy environments. I need plans and blueprints and don't usually enjoy surprises unless they're from my husband.

19) How do you subjectively view comfort and how do you create comfort in your life and surroundings?
Comfort is EVERYTHING to me. I love being comfortable and cozy in every environment; which is why I often wear comfortable clothing, bring jackets (for temperature changes), snacks (to eat in case I'm hungry) and blankets to wrap myself in. At home, I create comfort by making sure the temperature is right, the house is clean/organized, there's ample food, and that the furniture/decor is comfortable and inviting. It's also important to make sure those around me are comfortable.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow, there's so much 9 and 2 in your answers! I still think 9 is likely your core, but it would be helpful for you to explain what you're like when you are less healthy.

There's also a lot of Si! So I could see ISFJ.

I suspect you're sp dom from your answers. Probably sp/so because you don't seem contraflow. (A collage is helpful there. )

- - - Updated - - -

Also, welcome to the forum! I like you already, seeing your answers. :)

mandy_snow

Wow, there's so much 9 and 2 in your answers! I still think 9 is likely your core, but it would be helpful for you to explain what you're like when you are less healthy.

There's also a lot of Si! So I could see ISFJ.

I suspect you're sp dom from your answers. Probably sp/so because you don't seem contraflow. (A collage is helpful there. )

- - - Updated - - -

Also, welcome to the forum! I like you already, seeing your answers. :)

You're helpful and kind - thank you so much!
When I'm unhealthy or stressed, I become anxious, withdrawn, isolated, critical of myself and others, and snappy. I'm also unproductive and ignore the urgency of issues. "Oh... it'll resolve itself somehow" or "whatever, I can't worry about this right now" are common phrases.
I created a collage, but it's mostly quotes that speak to me; rather than images.

55c7c7d39d7680d3469caa959e0ee9e3.jpeg

mandy_snow

Same. I think it's what the OP said about leaning toward idealism but being grounded in reality. ISFx anyway.
Thanks for responding! Someone else (from social media) said I could be an ISFP, but I don't relate to Fi very much. I know we use all of the functions, but that one isn't primary for me.
By leaning toward idealism I mean that I have "ideas" about how things should be based on my experience; rather than what they actually are. So I'm constantly comparing the present moment to what I've known to be true. If it doesn't line up, I struggle to accept it. However, those ideas are always grounded in reality and what's occurring in the present moment. I rarely reflect on theories and ideas that aren't directly applicable to what I'm doing/experiencing. So perhaps idealism wasn't the right word to use.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're so 9 :wubbie:

I think either so/sx or sp/so. Probably sp/so.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You do strike me as well as an ISFJ, with your emphasis on practical applications and recognition of your struggles with change and keen attention and memory for details with people and events. As well as your emphasis on past experience and referencing your looking to that in comparing to the present, with theories and so on.

I am not surprised you do not identify strongly with ISFJ descriptions. :) Most of them emphasize caretaking to a strong extent. Not that you do not exhibit some of that in your answers, but at least with two ISFJ's I've known irl (my father as well as a former coworker/friend), they are also very analytical and certainly more intuitive and intellectual (in a thoughtful and critical sense) than descriptions often emphasize. And from your answers as well as your education and vocation I can see that in you as well.

Welcome to the board!

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Hi, first english is not my first language...
Although I am new posting here I am familiar with MBTI and specially like to use Jung cognitive functions to type (Ne,Se,Fi,etc..) and function stacks. Have you tried the typology central test? A test that gives you a 4 letter type and the cognitive functions at the same type is the more complete kind of MBTI tests on the internet. You may agree with me that the Myers Briggs stuff is not that much scientific (but it is not astrology either), and although Jung is scientific, it is prone to not being that accurate. For that very reason I do think/believe that it is more accurate to think that types do admit some inside variants and not everyone is exactly as type descriptions says. The use of cognitive functions let you know the variations. It is not uncommon to find people with T-N-S-F split (having Te=Ti for example). I will give my shot based on what you said although I am a bit confused as well.

"I am highly organized, I can't function in messy environments. I need plans and blueprints and don't usually enjoy surprises unless they're from my husband."
It is clear to me is that there is no way you are INFP or ISFP. There are other quotes as this as well, It is not only about you being organized, but also that you cant function in messy environments, the need for plans, the need for structured enviroments. INXPs dont feel that need.

It is unclear to me if you are INFJ or ISFJ, althought I would take ISFJ with a good developed Ni for now. Sometimes the difference of the cognitive functions are unclear to me, it seems that you do heavily notice the enviroment, but that could either mean Se or Si. Si users are usually aware of their enviroment as well as Se, but they do in purpose of storing and remembering stuff in order to create memories instead of fully living in the present moment. You seem more to pay attention in order to build memories and to support relationships instead of just admiring or having fun.

So, for now for me you sound a ISFJ with good Ni.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Thanks for responding! What signals ISFJ to you?

It just jumped out to me that I see a lot of Si and Fe in your responses, and they're especially prominent. The hatred of the unknown usually can be found in Si dom, because of the tendency for inferior Ne to catastrophise. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the way it works.

Since these two are so prominent and I'm assuming a healthy individual that's not looping or in a grip, it's probably Si-Fe. Hence ISFJ.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
From reading through those posts, I was constantly seeing references to Si.

You're either Si dominant, or are fixating on Si.