• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Themes in Dreams, what do they mean?

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've noticed dream themes being of;
Water, this swimming pool and in another dream, this beach with shallow water and a whole varied ecosystem of fish at my feet walking amongst it, but more often than not, it's a swimming pool at a leisure centre.
I've also noticed: Travel, more often than not, travel not happening; waiting for a flight, flying somewhere, stopping en route to my destination and instead staying there, so travel but never going to my destination.
and thirdly, to my annoyance; I've had another dream where my car's been stolen, and in my dream, this upsets me.
I've had at least 2 dreams now of missing looking for my car (and I know where it's parked so when I don't see it there in my dream, things go bad), and 1 dream where, I booked it in for a respray and my 2001 VW Cabrio (Golf Cabriolet) came back as an old school mini cooper the very same colour; so I think they took my car, and sprayed that other car same colour as mine and told me it was mine (which I wasn't pleased about).
Throw in loved ones lost and loved ones in other sides of the world, and yeah.

Last nights dream saw family visit town, didn't spend anytime with me, was going to fly back with them, that didn't happened, didn't like that, then in the end, I saw that my car had been stolen and; that upset me more (much more) than not getting to travel with them and I remember a; wanting my car, b; looking in vein for it even though I know where I park it and it wasn't there; c, the annoyance and disbelief of having to report it stolen, and d; acceptance of my car being stolen upon seeing broken glass where it was parked.
Throw in a beloved lost family cat (who was alive in my dream) after I met a new cat from my family who visited me; this new cat was half rainbow coloured, and then in the it was a beloved cat we had (tabby cat); she was cool. (I woke up remembering that cats aren't rainbow coloured).

So in that dream, I didn't see a swimming pool or water, but it had loved ones, no travel (in the end after anticipation of travel), trying to spend time with those who have returned from the other side of the world (but not getting to) and family cats (the rainbow cat visiting and my cat I had here) and then my car, being stolen (again)!.

Seems like travel and water are 2 themes I can remember and a 3rd (now) of somebody messing with my car.

Litsnob

My understanding of what is going on in the brain as we sleep is a sort of sorting and filing or discarding system which we later interpret into a story format as best we can because the human brain does that with information. We fill in gaps and create a story format instinctively which is also why our memories are not very reliable and witnesses to the same event can tell quite different stories but feel very certain of them.

Most of my dreams have something to do with a loss of control on my part. I am trapped in a situation which at first I think I cannot get out of without great difficulty, without hurting people or losing something. Sometimes there is a degree of fear that I will be found incompetent.

I have two recurring dreams that usually have apparently elabourate plots. One is that I am back with my ex-husband and he has insisted that we move to some remote area and I am aware in the dream that I no longer want to be with him nor do I want to go to this remote area but I go because we have a child and I am afraid of losing my child. Once we get there I realise that I can actually break free and sort all of this out and not lose my child.

Another dreams is based on my having once been a school teacher but now on permanent medical leave. I dream that I have returned to teaching but am totally unprepared, ill-equipped and am going to get caught out in being unable to competently do the job.

A third recurring theme just involved a automobile of some kind which is very difficult to drive and I cannot get the gears or brakes or steering to work properly.

To me the meanings of these dreams are all pretty obvious and the first two relate directly to actual experiences in my life. Rarely does anything seem deeply symbolic other than the difficult to manage car. I suspect that one is symbolic of the illness I live with. The vehicle is my own body.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, so last night I had a dream that I flew to Japan.
I spent like 48 hours in Japan and couldn't believe I was in Japan/Asia; I took some selfies and everything and browsed the shops;
Then I was taken to a Japanese mental hospital or something, and then I was back at home in England and my family was talking to the hospital I just came from in Japan, and then they couldn't believe I went all the way to Asia for 48 hours and I showed them snapshots and selfies of me in Japan.

The weird coincidences happened when I woke up; I woke up and found my sister had been while I was sleeping, and left this Japanese curry ready meal in my fridge for me.
I turned on the TV and found myself watching NHK news (from Japan)
and just now, I randomly found this old postcard I got in 2004 as part of this gift bag when I visited the embassy of Japan in London.

Strange....

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've been having dreams about lightning consistently for about 3 years, no idea why?............

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My dreams are very random and sometimes disturbing. Surreal horror abound but I am used to it as I dream of surreal horror everynight and in fact find it entertaining. Some themes include twisted game shows (One game show featured self-cannibalism while another featured spending time in various oceans with the Tropical indian ocean being the easy mode and the cold harsh Southern Ocean being the hard mode). Sometimes though once in a while it will be something really mundane like chilling out in bed so I do dream about dreaming at times lolz.