• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Eternal question. INFJ or INFP?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I confusion I see here is that for both N and F, we can do things with functions that look like the opposite direction. I.e., Ni can sometimes give Ne like results , as it considers choices.

The main difference is that Ni ultimately provides a single vision, Ne keeps something possibility. In the Ne thread that is currently very active, there is done really nice work being done on this right now.

If 90% is good enough for you to act on, than Ni sounds right. If 90% scares you to death because a 10% chance means a whole lot of possible failure, than Ne might be you.

It may be better to focus off F, because it is confusing. Moreover many Fi son's test high on Fe and Fe users test high on Fi.

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Also FTR: Your K2C result showed a quite high Si score, higher than your Ni one in fact.

If you were an INFJ this wouldn't make any sense at all - but it does if you are an INFP.

That makes sense I think. But other the other tests I took came up with:

Similar Minds test = INFJ with :

Te = 40%
Ti = 45%
Ne = 50%
Ni = 90%
Se = 30%
Si = 70%
Fe = 65%
Fi = 65%

Team Technology = INFJ

I also took the celebrity types INFJ or INFP test and each time it came out as INFJ

And the Arealme (the results that look like a web) and this one always alternates between the two.

This is why I'm having issues with type :)

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I confusion I see here is that for both N and F, we can do things with functions that look like the opposite direction. I.e., Ni can sometimes give Ne like results , as it considers choices.

The main difference is that Ni ultimately provides a single vision, Ne keeps something possibility. In the Ne thread that is currently very active, there is done really nice work being done on this right now.

If 90% is good enough for you to act on, than Ni sounds right. If 90% scares you to death because a 10% chance means a whole lot of possible failure, than Ne might be you.

It may be better to focus off F, because it is confusing. Moreover many Fi son's test high on Fe and Fe users test high on Fi.

I understand this. The opposite directions with different results because of choice.

Neither scares me, but I like to consider things before deciding once and for all. And because this is about me and something I can consider and doesn't have to be absolute right now, I don't mind bouncing ideas off other people in order to come up with the correct/most accurate conclusion :)

I'm just hope I'm not coming off as being argumentative or too stubborn in the process, I just would like to be sure so I can move on to my next idea.

By the way, this has been the most non-shallow human interaction I've had in nearly a month with people besides my husband and my one year old (with a month in between the last one and the one prior) so thank you for the help to anyone who has given suggestions/ideas and who have participated in the discussion. I really appreciate it! :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
this thread reminds me of me except i never considered INFJ so my prediction is your gonna settle on one for years people are gonna be like yeah yeah yeah then eventually they're gonna be like your actually ISFP if you pick INFP or ISFJ for INFJ and you'll fight it for years then one day you'll be like actually maybe I am an S and you're ok with this.

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
this thread reminds me of me except i never considered INFJ so my prediction is your gonna settle on one for years people are gonna be like yeah yeah yeah then eventually they're gonna be like your actually ISFP if you pick INFP or ISFJ for INFJ and you'll fight it for years then one day you'll be like actually maybe I am an S and you're ok with this.

Ha! Maybe. I haven't even considered being one of those. I guess I should look into it. I was very focused on the INFJ because that was the majority of what I was typed and then INFP because that's the second one I was typed as and both my best friend and husband were typed that (though I think it's wrong for my husband after reading up on it) so it was the next thing to learn. But now i guess I'll look at the ISFJ and ISFPs to see if they work at all :)

Thank you for the idea!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ha! Maybe. I haven't even considered being one of those. I guess I should look into it. I was very focused on the INFJ because that was the majority of what I was typed and then INFP because that's the second one I was typed as and both my best friend and husband were typed that (though I think it's wrong for my husband after reading up on it) so it was the next thing to learn. But now i guess I'll look at the ISFJ and ISFPs to see if they work at all :)

Thank you for the idea!

you're welcome

btw i wasn't calling you an S i really don't know your type i usually don't type people online especially not with these threads. it was just a prediction but you're probably gonna prove me wrong which is good.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Fe feels for others.
Fi feels for self.

The entire essence of this distinction is a great "sticking point" at times in discerning type. As an INFP, I am aware of how others make me feel and I feel the feelings others are feeling as well in a kind of real-time stream. It makes the distinction of who owns what difficult at times, but I can often quickly source it out with time for inner reflection. I can put myself in someone's shoes and imagine how they might feel, and l can listen to someone talking and feel their inner landscape as we go along. So, I think the whole "Fe feels what you feel" and "Fi feels from self-reference" is distracting. The water is often much muddier than that.

Here is what I know: Fe does not feel an inner place that I (as an INFP) reference constantly, both in myself and in other people.

My advice to you is to get involved in the forum, and see if the Fi or Fe pov resonates more strongly with you over time. You'll land more cleanly on one side of the fence or the other.

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
you're welcome

btw i wasn't calling you an S i really don't know your type i usually don't type people online especially not with these threads. it was just a prediction but you're probably gonna prove me wrong which is good.

I took a quick look at the two (skimmed really) and I know for a fact I'm not an ISFJ or ISFP, but because I'm not willing to discount something with out looking into it first I thought I'd at least check :)

The entire essence of this distinction is a great "sticking point" at times in discerning type. As an INFP, I am aware of how others make me feel and I feel the feelings others are feeling as well in a kind of real-time stream. It makes the distinction of who owns what difficult at times, but I can often quickly source it out with time for inner reflection. I can put myself in someone's shoes and imagine how they might feel, and l can listen to someone talking and feel their inner landscape as we go along. So, I think the whole "Fe feels what you feel" and "Fi feels from self-reference" is distracting. The water is often much muddier than that.

Here is what I know: Fe does not feel an inner place that I (as an INFP) reference constantly, both in myself and in other people.

My advice to you is to get involved in the forum, and see if the Fi or Fe pov resonates more strongly with you over time. You'll land more cleanly on one side of the fence or the other.

I think you're right. I probably should get more involved and not just lurk so much. I also think as I interact more with people, even if it's primarily online, I may get a better idea on the whole Fe/Fi thing.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fi users "feel" their own internal world instead (which is why Fi is accused of being selfish) so Fi has to compare another person's experiences to its before they make sense.

This is very accurate.
[MENTION=26347]anamnesiss[/MENTION] , I'm not an expert on mbti but I relate to your way of thinking / feeling a lot. Your whole first post resonated with me. I'm leaning towards INFP for you.

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
THIS.
[MENTION=26347]anamnesiss[/MENTION] , I'm not an expert on mbti but I relate to your way of thinking / feeling a lot. Your whole first post resonated with me. I'm leaning towards INFP for you.[/QUOTE

Thank you for the input! The more what I can express resonates with a specific type the more I can feel like the mystery will be solved haha!

Today seems to be leaning towards INFP it seems then :)

Find it funny though that people leaned towards INFJ though. :shrug:

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you for the input! The more what I can express resonates with a specific type the more I can feel like the mystery will be solved haha!

Today seems to be leaning towards INFP it seems then :)

Find it funny though that people leaned towards INFJ though. :shrug:

Cognitive functions theory may or may not be as valid as we like to play here. It is a theory, a strong theory, and may one day be completely validate. We have had posters discuss this at length.

What we do know is that MBTI has been statistically verified. Numerous studies have validated it, so that those who score in certain type share similar characteristics.

Now in Gifts Differing, it states that we share traits with all those we she letters with. As such, independent of functions, a INFP will share some traits with other with I, N, F, P, IN, IF, IP ,NF, NP, FP, INF, NFP, IFP, (I think I got them all). That is why the temperament models exists. All NFs, share some traits as discussed in Please Understand Me II.

And as an ENFJ (no common functions as an INFP), I fully relate to PeaceBaby's discussion of real-time processing of the emotions of others, as well as the ability to place myself into a state of feeling what the other person is feeling and such.

Eventually, you will see that one set of functions works better to describe how you are. Additionally, we often can not see ourselves well, for whatever reason. For Fe types, we often are unaware of some of things so we just don't see them as easily.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
That makes sense I think. But other the other tests I took came up with:

Similar Minds test = INFJ with :

Te = 40%
Ti = 45%
Ne = 50%
Ni = 90%
Se = 30%
Si = 70%
Fe = 65%
Fi = 65%

Team Technology = INFJ

I also took the celebrity types INFJ or INFP test and each time it came out as INFJ

And the Arealme (the results that look like a web) and this one always alternates between the two.

This is why I'm having issues with type :)

None of those tests are worthwhile IMO...part of the problem with online tests is that they are of such variable quality...but other people here may disagree.

What I want to stress again, is that it is difficult to be confused between INFJ and INFP because their function order is totally different. I agree with [MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION] that it is best not to focus on the Fe/Fi descriptions because they are very confusing and most people relate to some aspects of both. Figure out whether you are a Ni or Ne user, and go from there.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No one leaned toward INFJ in this thread though, it's only that you're wanting to sound INFJ in content but your style of talking is INFP in quality.

We also don't want to be dicks. Lol.

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
:shrug: no you're making it pretty clear as even though I said what I thought the way you're writing isn't trying to deviate. So I'd say INFJ then. I'll just have to confirm it later. There are people who I typed as INFJ here and they all seem satisfied as INFP/ENFP so what do I know? (Although in my opinion they're still not convincingly INFP for me)

Looking INFJ.

My favorite way to narrow down is looking at the inferior function. Naomi Quenk, who wrote much of the official MBTI materials, used the data and wrote a book looking at the patterns when we are in the grip of our inferior function, Was that really me?

Our inferior is where we go under stress, and so can show us our dominant function. This method really helped me see that I am an ENFJ, not a INFJ.

I would recommend looking at all 4 NF types. Given that you are not sure as to your functions as a NF, this really could help. Ignore the I/E thing (I was sure I was an Introvert, but inferior showed me I was a Fe dom.

IXFP inferior function

INXJ inferior function

ENXJ inferior function

ENTP inferior functions

I must have misunderstood then. :huh:

I agree that there has been more agreement with INFP in total (especially yesterday and before I added in information on the first day), but I wanted to be thorough, that's why I asked for help in the first place.

The tests obviously need help. They are half-assed at best, but are still referenced when considering type. I think they are a good starting point to get an idea about where you are on the chart, but need work at pinpointing the exact one. This is supposed to be where cognitive functions come in. Types obviously are all different, with some similarities in between certain types as SearchingforPeace said in the post above.

The problem still lies in that the tests, even cognitive ones, are subjective and can make it difficult if someone doesn't do everything exactly the same every time. Maybe that's what makes me more of an INFP. I see a situation/person as it's own individual case, not the exact same as the last one, and will need to be handled accordingly

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I must have misunderstood then. :huh:

I agree that there has been more agreement with INFP in total (especially yesterday and before I added in information on the first day), but I wanted to be thorough, that's why I asked for help in the first place.

The tests obviously need help. They are half-assed at best, but are still referenced when considering type. I think they are a good starting point to get an idea about where you are on the chart, but need work at pinpointing the exact one. This is supposed to be where cognitive functions come in. Types obviously are all different, with some similarities in between certain types as SearchingforPeace said in the post above.

The problem still lies in that the tests, even cognitive ones, are subjective and can make it difficult if someone doesn't do everything exactly the same every time. Maybe that's what makes me more of an INFP. I see a situation/person as it's own individual case, not the exact same as the last one, and will need to be handled accordingly

Looking has its connotations. Why are you so stubborn to not listen to our typings? Even by searchingforpeace's like on my comment makes me understand his ways too.

seriously nothing is wrong with you being INFP on this forum. Apparently INFP's are liked even more collectively in this forum from my pov.

People have been given their opinions and help. There's no magical answer. I took over a year to finally confirm I was an INFJ.

I say if you can't figure out that your emotions are your own, start trying to extrovert yourself and see if you're litterally feeling what others are feeling. I can tell you when you feel other people's feelings even if they're negative I could not understand why you'd be a strong introvert. That element of curiousity would drive you to find more about others.

Fi Dom users love to be by themselves they have this inner world they want to continually picking at. Well I'm going to say INFP for you. Straight up.

But participate on the forum and constantly evaluate yourself.

I kind of compare asking for type as being a leecher and contributing to other threads as a seeder.

I much respect seeders. (I'm using torrent analogy lol)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with what you say about the distinguishing the Fi and Fe. That's what seems to stump me the most. I've heard that one of the obvious signs of Fe is that you can't hide how you feel on your face, and vice versa. My husband can tell just by a glance if I'm upset about something and will say that if I'm happy my face lights up. But back when i was a teenager I had people tell me that they had no idea how I felt or even if I had emotions.

I also have to use facial expressions now that I live in Europe in a country where the native language isn't my own in order to help with my lack of ability to speak the language very well. It's my main way of communicating in any social situation (ie at the store and such). So I have no idea how useful that is.

The element of having dynamic facial expressions doesn't point towards Fe or Fi. Both can have that. I for example have an extremely expressive face.

imo the only distinction that *might* be able to be made is that Fe users tend to use facial expressions deliberately when talking with people. It's like they can turn that element 'on' and are aware of how they are coming across and they use that as a means of conveying what they're saying. From my pov it seems that way at least.

For me, expressions ripple across my face whether I want them to or not. They're a product of what I think and feel, my reactions to things. In conversation though I come across as really boring and inanimate I think. Monotone at times. Though if excited I'll be totally excited, heh. But yeah- using your Europe example, at times it's necessary to use over the top expressions deliberately for communication. I just don't think that's 'natural' for Fi. Doesn't mean Fi can't do that though, if needed.

All of that probably isn't super black and white, but I just wanted to say using something like having an expressive face is not a great way to decide between Fi vs Fe.

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ill be as polite as possible.

If you keep doing tests and you keep getting INFJ, then it probably means youre familiar with each question, able to identify the cog functs and type it leads to. It also probably means you want validation and assurance, that youre an INFJ.
You are not an INFJ imo.
I see INFP.

But heck, you can be what you want to be, since the only disadvantage of mistypes, is that the user gets affected, emotionally and would lead to identity crisis. Dont rely on MBTI too much.
If you are lost, take a break. Find yourself with a professional. Stabalize your sense of self, get your self awareness under control and then you can come back to MBTI.

Using theory to define you isnt going to get you anywhere.
There is no right and wrong in theory. Especially something as subjective as this.
Using theory to understand things beyond your self is what makes it special.
Good luck.

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It may sound like I'm trying to make sure I'm an INFJ, but in all reality, with no offence toward INFJs, I would rather be an INFP. I just want to be accurate, and because I identify a lot with both personality types, I don't want to go and say that I'm one when I'm the other. That's all.

Yes I want validation though. Validation that one is correct while the other isn't. If I didn't want that, I wouldn't be here asking other peoples opinions.

Since the people who have been discussing this with each other for longer than I have (I've only been gathering information for about a year and on a steady basis for about half of that) since to speak with other people about the subject I will just have to agree with the majority and be a content INFP, unless conclusive evidence to the contrary comes to the surface

Oh and thank you to cascadeco. That makes sense, and gives me something to think about.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Which e6 are you?

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Which e6 are you?

Do you mean Enneagram and the wings?

My score has been 6w5 most often (ie 3 out of 5 tests scored highest for that) but I've gotten 9 as the highest and second highest with 4 equal to it or the 6 depending on which one was highest.