• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Beorn

Permabanned
These hacks said that The Last Jedi was "messy":
Red Letter Media Half in the Bag: The Last Last Jedi Review :
The video is at YouTube.

I'm still pretty sure that we're not talking about the same movie. I believe Jay and crew watched it, I really do. But messy? Did they actually watch the movie while they were there, or did they just sit there and act like it was an MST3K episode? Did they have too much alcohol before attending the showing? Hmmmm...

What does it mean for a movie to be "messy"? (I've always regarded their videos as messy as they sit there drinking beer while recording, their voices get slurrier and their judgments more questionable.)

So far nobody who has seen the movie called it predictable (that I saw). One guy who hadn't seen the movie scoffingly stated that it will be a remake of Empire Strikes Back. It does have some of the elements of that movie (e.g., AT-ATs). But these elements are being portrayed under very different circumstances than "Empire."

The writer "took all of your expectations and twisted them." That's kind of true, Mark Hamill producing arguably the biggest twist. But this was hardly true of the entire movie.

The writer "is a secret asshole." Hmmm. Okay. These guys like to drink beer and discuss movies, and now they have their own IMDB page. Well good for them. (I'm a secret Mr. Plinkett fan myself, he's the only professional and objective critic among them, and he's not even a real person.)

"I was thinking 'is this movie a joke?' many, many times." I often wonder the same thing about their movie reviews.

Rich Evans (one of the hacks in the video) stated that Luke Skywalker did too many one-liner jokes. I myself did not hear any jokes at all. Same movie? Or did Disney release different versions of the same movie?

Rich says that the timing of Skywalker with the light saber
didn't work. Really? It worked for me. On the other hand, I didn't go see the movie smashed out of my gourd the way those hacks do.

Jay says that Laura Dern had
, and for some reason this gives him a problem.
She has pinkish-purple hair and walks around like some kind of royalty, compared to Poe who comes off as some over-confident smart-aleck who doesn't play well with others. So I can see her point-of-view. The real problem is (and this is an important plot point, not a mere complaint from Jay the whiny-voiced alky),

I'm at 14:31 minutes into the video and I haven't learned anything new from these hacks. But I understand that they can't take anything seriously, because everything is so damn funny when you're chemically impaired.

I don't see Rich drinking but Jay and Mike drink to change their personalities in order make fun of things better. They like to lighten the mood and make everything serious into a travesty because, by looking through their alcoholic goggles, they see comedy where none was intended. They are a rip-off of MST3K, and only a shadow of what that show was.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FACE?!?!?!?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
To continue my thought ...

The visual effects were good, sounds was great, acting and directing were decent .... but the script (the story itself) was very badly designed. In other words if the story is bad the best you can do is make an average movie.

The story simply has too many open ends that it would fulfil the fans and people who like to use their brain. (the types of people who are most likely to watch SW)

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
At one point it kept cutting between three or four different subplots for a good while. It was more like a fusion of supporting stock roles rather than a plot designed to let the Last Jedi steal the show...

I wonder why. :thinking:

This movie has more in common with a commercial than a film.

Tomb1

For me, Last Jedi is to the Star Wars movies what Godfather III was to the Godfather movies. Like Michael's sudden transition into a pathetic, weak, remorseful don, Luke's character development is equally atrocious. This is the same Luke Skywalker that blatantly refused to join the Dark Side in spite of all that coercive pressure from his own father and Emperor, now just a pathetic, hopeless shell of himself content to let the whole tradition of jedi die off and while Leia is the leader of the resistance, luke has to be lulled back into it...he suddenly lost his unwavering conviction for the fight. Not believable, another forced and artificial character decision. So yes, the character development was atrocious.

You want to see a good strong female character, go see Three Billboards in Ebbing Missouri with Frances McDormand, who deserves an Oscar for that performance. Admiral Holdo couldn't lead her way out of a paper bag. Nobody in their right mind would put her in charge when the resistance's back was up against the wall like that. You want to see how real three dimensional characters can drive a plot naturally, go see Three Billboards...you want to see how an artificial plot can drive a recycled fleet of stock characters, go waste your money on the Last Jedi.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me, Last Jedi is to the Star Wars movies what Godfather III was to the Godfather movies. Like Michael's sudden transition into a pathetic, weak, remorseful don, Luke's character development is equally atrocious. This is the same Luke Skywalker that blatantly refused to join the Dark Side in spite of all that coercive pressure from his own father and Emperor, now just a pathetic, hopeless shell of himself content to let the whole tradition of jedi die off and while Leia is the leader of the resistance, luke has to be lulled back into it...he suddenly lost his unwavering conviction for the fight. Not believable, another forced and artificial character decision. So yes, the character development was atrocious.

And I take it you didn't buy the whole "heroes are only human" explanation?

Tomb1

nope. I would have found it more believable if it was Leia living off in a misanthropic isolation after her son killed Hans and Luke had evolved into the force's genius commander. And then maybe create a scenario that really make the super-sized star wars popcorn bucket fans cringe in their seats. Ya know, the true star wars fans that compete with each other about whose been to more screenings of the Last Jedi and the dark circles under their eyes evidence bingeing on star wars marathons as a warm-up.

Oh yeah, one last thing. Rey nearly sold the force out to kylo. She's a terrible last jedi imo. the fate of the world is going to hang on her....the least they could do is make her character as equally willful and committed to the mission as the pre-last-jedi luke. instead they gave all the willfulness to Poe but none of the Jedi Powers to Poe. big mistake imo, the movie would work better if they made Poe the last jedi instead they'll do a number on him in the next one. the mutiny represented progress. for some odd reason only the villains recognize the benefit of egomaniacs and glory hounds....the force appears to have a shortage of Pattons and Macarthurs that they call up when shit hits the fan. And no einsteins to build a mega-weapon. Instead, they have Admiral Holdo and Rose Tico. And then you wonder why they get their ass beat.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The design of the new trilogy kind of annoys me. I hate the bulked up new walkers. They look like they have bell bottoms or something. The X Wings don’t really feel like a real evolution, just a slight change from the original versions. The new star destroyers also annoy me. Like the walkers, it appears no real thought was put into them, the designers just looked at the originals and decided they needed to make them look slightly more badass, only they look less distinctive and more generic. Snoke’s command ship is sort of cool, I like the flying wing look even if it makes little sense for a ship designed for space travel. The tie fighters are so close to the originals that I can’t complain because the design is iconic.

It generally baffles me that ship designs have changed so little in the decades since episode 6. I expected leaps and bounds but it appears technological advancement has halted.

Also, the more you look at the state of the galaxy in the new films, the more problematic. The New Republic is presumably the reigning power and The First Order is the film equivalent of Imperial Remnant from the EU, and yet somehow we still refer to the reigning government military as a resistance and the remains of the old empire are still the big imposing force with unlimited resources. It doesn’t add up. The creators want the protagonists to be the new leading power but then simultaneously the band of rebel underdogs. A bolder choice may have been to portray the good side as the new regime facing its own insurgency and leading to questions of who the real bad guys are in all of this, but I guess they didn’t want to be accused of copying the prequels too much

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And I know Star Wars stretches credibility but how do bombers “drop” bombs in space?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also think a really brave way to go would be

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Oh yeah, one last thing. Rey nearly sold the force out to kylo. She's a terrible last jedi imo.

I might be wrong, but I thought the last jedi referenced in the title was Luke, and Rey is supposedly just doing her own thing? Last of the Mohicans, if I recall correctly, surprised me by referencing the old man with its title, not his adopted son (the lead of the movie and featured on the cover just above the title), played by Daniel Day Lewis.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It generally baffles me that ship designs have changed so little in the decades since episode 6. I expected leaps and bounds but it appears technological advancement has halted.

Interesting questions: (My thoughts.)
To the first it would be similar to any country that has endured an extended civil war. Even if the First Order is a recent phenomenon, you had an enormous leaderless space fleet that outnumbered the Rebel/real government. Assuming it did fracture….. that would be incredible levels of space banditry, and petty warlords controlling prosperous systems. The Star Wars universe is probably close to destitute at this stage. Combine that with how easy it would be to sabotage manufacturing on that scale.

And I know Star Wars stretches credibility but how do bombers “drop” bombs in space?

In the absence of an external force, the momentum of a system remains unchanged. Either the artificial gravity was accelerating the bombs, or the belt the they were attached to was providing an impulse. It’s not so much they ‘drop” as they have velocity in a vacuum.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting questions: (My thoughts.)
To the first it would be similar to any country that has endured an extended civil war. Even if the First Order is a recent phenomenon, you had an enormous leaderless space fleet that outnumbered the Rebel/real government. Assuming it did fracture….. that would be incredible levels of space banditry, and petty warlords controlling prosperous systems. The Star Wars universe is probably close to destitute at this stage. Combine that with how easy it would be to sabotage manufacturing on that scale.

In the absence of an external force, the momentum of a system remains unchanged. Either the artificial gravity was accelerating the bombs, or the belt the they were attached to was providing an impulse. It’s not so much they ‘drop” as they have velocity in a vacuum.

Did the mechanism propel them? It didn’t really make that clear and it looked like she just released them and they fell down

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did the mechanism propel them? It didn’t really make that clear and it looked like she just released them and they fell down

You're right having a look around apparently they were magnetised to the wall then released. :shrug: Acceleration due to artificial gravity was always the more elegant solution anyway.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I thought of that, but apparently the spaceships have always fought like WWII fighters and naval craft. I think this is because it's meant to draw upon WWII films, as the space stuff in Star Wars always has. And if you really want to handwave it, you could say they operated by magnetism.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How did the Codebreaker

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought of that, but apparently the spaceships have always fought like WWII fighters and naval craft. I think this is because it's meant to draw upon WWII films, as the space stuff in Star Wars always has. And if you really want to handwave it, you could say they operated by magnetism.

Yeah I’m really just nitpicking at this point