• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
And no, it's nothing like the Empire Strikes Back.

Except for...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Except for...

A lot of that was necessitated by the way the last movie ended. Things actually unfolded and developed pretty differently. I suppose it's similar if you look at things on a very superficial level.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
A lot of that was necessitated by the way the last movie ended. Things actually unfolded and developed pretty differently. I suppose it's similar if you look at things on a very superficial level.

It seemed pretty clearly manufactured in true Disney style by a fleet of experts sticking to the original trilogy script as closely as possible. I think the way things unfolded was the superficial distinction, and everything else was pretty much lockstep.
I mean- what was new, exactly?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It seemed pretty clearly manufactured in true Disney style by a fleet of experts sticking to the original trilogy script as closely as possible. I think the way things unfolded was the superficial distinction, and everything else was pretty much lockstep.
I mean- what was new, exactly?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
The space combat.

If you're leaning on "space combat" as something "new" in a star wars movie, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Everything that happened with Kylo except for

Like the part where he
Or how about the part where he
Or the part where he
I guess that one didn't happen until return of the jedi, but it's nothing new.

Rey's motivations in
were way different.

They were the same as Luke's motivations in return of the jedi, so while it was a slight side-step from Empire- where luke was just
this one feels oddly wrong. I can't put my finger on it, but anytime it mixed Empire with Return it made me kind of ill...if that's even possible. It's like eating thanksgiving dinner, but between bites of turkey and mashed potatoes you get a surprised mouthful of pumpkin pie. Premature. Expected, but not that fast.

The way the resistance was

From the opening crawl in Empire:

Imperial troops have driven the
Rebel forces from their hidden
base and pursued them across
the galaxy.

Infiltrating an enemy starship.

Like "space battles" this is one of those obligatory inserts into any new star wars movie per committee mandate. I don't even see a point in spoiler tagging it, it's so obvious.

Be still my beating heart! And don't you just love a lesson where the moral of the story is to blindly follow chain of command because
Han Solo is rolling over in his grave.

happened really differently and didn't repeat the same beats at all.

Felt the same to me, even had an
I guess it was different in that it was less memorable and Luke was being all
But like I said, I think it's the "way in which things are done" that's the superficial distinction between Empire and this movie.

I could go on and on.

By all means. Please do. :popc1:

BAD1973

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
One of my main issues with the new series is with how they have developed Kylo Ren's character, so far. I feel like part of what made Darth Vader so compelling in the original trilogy was his mask and not knowing what was behind it. With Kylo Ren, they could have had just as poignant a moment with Han without taking the mask off. (Instead the moment was predictable, anti-climactic and fell short of the intended impact.) In this film, as we delve more into the character, learning how/why he turned to the dark side, developing the connection between him and Rey...I feel like they missed an opportunity to withhold his face until a moment of actual connection. It would have made his character seem more cool and less of a whiny little butthole in TFA, and would have made him more believable in TLJ, in my opinion.

I still thought this movie was exactly what it needed to be. There was just the right amount of fan pandering, in my opinion. The audience cheered, clapped, laughed, etc in all the right moments. There was cheese, sure, but all Star Wars movies have cheese...even the original trilogy.

Was it better than the original trilogy? No freaking way. I did like it better than TFA. I was annoyed with how little they used CF and MH in that one. They did better with this one. And Laura Dern's character was phenomenal. I don't necessarily think it was a better film than Rogue One, but it was still good. Not what I expected, but a good installment. Nothing will ever measure up to the original trilogy in my eyes.

I feel like fans have become pretentious with their opinions and expectations. Get over yourselves, people. Even a less-than-stellar SW flick is better than most other movies, and there's no way it will be worse than the prequels.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One of my main issues with the new series is with how they have developed Kylo Ren's character, so far. I feel like part of what made Darth Vader so compelling in the original trilogy was his mask and not knowing what was behind it. With Kylo Ren, they could have had just as poignant a moment with Han without taking the mask off. (Instead the moment was predictable, anti-climactic and fell short of the intended impact.) In this film, as we delve more into the character, learning how/why he turned to the dark side, developing the connection between him and Rey...I feel like they missed an opportunity to withhold his face until a moment of actual connection. It would have made his character seem more cool and less of a whiny little butthole in TFA, and would have made him more believable in TLJ, in my opinion.

I was lukewarm on him in TFA, but I really like what they did with him here.

Beorn

Permabanned
I was surprised at what I didn't think was awful.

Like the porgs

Plot was awful. But, there was still plenty to enjoy when I wasn't cringing.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Like the porgs

I feel like porgs are bird-like enough to fit in with the theme I've established for my avatar choices. Even though they don't appear to have beaks, but more of a rabbit-like nose.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Like the porgs

Plot was awful. But, there was still plenty to enjoy when I wasn't cringing.

That was my reaction as well.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP

Beorn

Permabanned
The good news for those that didn't like the film is that the Mr. Plinkett review is going to be awesome. It will probably be as long as the movie.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It was OK. There were things I really loved and things that I was very meh about.

My overall feeling afterwards was not as positive as after seeing Rogue One, but a vast improvement over TFA, and more original.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So is that where blue milk comes from? Big uddered sea lion beach animals?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Except for...

I realize Lucas was not involved but these movies are basically modern versions of old epic Poems and he said it was all about “rhyming” stanzas.

You can only tell heroes journey stories so many ways and second acts in trilogies are going to be the most bleak, usually

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8