• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Passacaglia

Nah, it's cool. You're allowed to like more than Star Wars and Star Trek. I'm a browncoat 4 life, yo. (That means Firefly fan.)
"We're too pretty to die!" :laugh:

I'm not a hardcore fan, but oh man, it was such a shame to see it canceled after just one season! Such potential...

generally if confronted by a choice between sci-fi and fantasy I'll go for fantasy though (especially things like fantasy americana or any type of fairy tale)... the man, an SJ, will typically choose sci-fi... especially post-apocalyptic sci-fi :thelook:
Same here again; but I definitely understand the appeal of the post-apocalyptic sci-fi flick. Plenty of things to blow up, and no rules to get in the way of saving the day and having a little fun along the way...it might be a guy thing. :D

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Same here again; but I definitely understand the appeal of the post-apocalyptic sci-fi flick. Plenty of things to blow up, and no rules to get in the way of saving the day and having a little fun along the way...it might be a guy thing. :D

I've never really been into the post-apocalyptic thing. I think I like GOT because it's kind of pre-apocalyptic.

93JC

For someone that's only seen the new movies, where should I start? DS9?

I would start with The Next Generation, from which Deep Space Nine and Voyager sprang. TNG gives you the background of and sets the stage for about 500 episodes between the three series, produced over a period of about 15 years (1987-2001)

TNG is set about 80 years after the original series. All you really need to know about the original series to bridge the gap between it and TNG you've probably already got the gist of from seeing the reboot movies.

The first couple seasons of TNG are admittedly not great. There are some good episodes, for example "The Measure of a Man" and "Elementary, Dear Data", and some sow the seeds of future story lines (particularly "Q Who" and "The Emissary"). On the whole they're pretty 'meh' and the second season finale, "Shades of Gray", is a colossal piece of shit.

The third season of the show upped the ante quite a bit. "Who Watches the Watchers", "The Defector", "Deja Q", "Yesterday's Enterprise", "The Offspring": there are easily more good shows in the third season than the first two combined. The third season is capped off with "The Best of Both Worlds", one of the better known and most revered episodes of the series.

From there on it's pretty good. DS9 began about halfway through TNG's sixth season (TNG had seven seasons total, as did DS9 and Voyager). To appreciate DS9's pilot really requires having seen "The Best of Both Worlds" Parts 1 and 2 (Season 3-4), "The Wounded" (Season 4), "Ensign Ro" (Season 5) and "Chain of Command" Parts 1 and 2 (Season 6) from TNG.

DS9 followed a similar track as TNG did: mediocre start before really getting good. As with TNG there were a few gems in the first couple seasons, particularly "Duet". "Necessary Evil", "Crossover", "The Wire" are also pretty good and set up later stories. The second season was the first one that had an ongoing story arc in it, with the first three episodes of the season leading one into the next. The second season of DS9 ends with "The Jem'Hadar", from which the rest of the show's story follows and which if you really pay attention to the foreshadowing throughout the season will realize is the culmination of a season-long arc. "Shit gets real" after that episode and in later seasons.

DS9 is the one Star Trek TV series where the characters are not all happy, shiny, perfect future people and has a lot more to say. It's my favourite and I think it was the best Star Trek series.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I prefer Star Wars because it's moving, like it's not just a series of hypothetical situations but something more timeless and universal. I like that the Star Wars universe is governed by the force, it feels like there's actually a narrative in the story and having a light and dark makes it more relatable I guess. Star Trek has some good episodes, like "Half a Life" from TNG and the classic Pon Far, but most of the time it seems pointless, unrelatable, and random. Also, Star Wars makes for better games, can't ignore that.

White Raven

MBTI Type
INxP
I love both, but I generally like Star Wars better. Star Trek is more of a nostalgic thing for me, but the story and universe of Star Wars is far superior to Star Trek IMO.

Mane

Permabanned
This:
Give me Star Trek with Star Wars ships and technology and I'd be happy.

Edit: yeah seriously. The giant pizza cutter needs to go. And the shuttles look like a fricking space microbus... or a box of crackers.

The content and characters of Star Trek with the aesthetics and delivery of Star Wars.

(The exact opposite of what the Star Trek remakes did)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I feel the Jar Jar Binks option in this one is somewhat biased, but I am not sure in what direction...

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
This:

The content and characters of Star Trek with the aesthetics and delivery of Star Wars.

(The exact opposite of what the Star Trek remakes did)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I feel the Jar Jar Binks option in this one is somewhat biased, but I am not sure in what direction...

Yeah. My main complaint is that the thrusters should be on the main concentration of mass, not on outriggers.

Yes I understand the warp nacelles don't produce conventional thrust and there's no drag in space, but there are still oscillations which would effect spindly craft such as the Enterprise. I'm sure this is mitigated with advanced materials and tech but it'd regardless be cheaper and more efficient to build just a regular disc e.g. Millennium Falcon or a wedge a la Star Destroyer.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
star trek is more diverse. There are the space opera style films and episodes (Khan, Abrams reboots, Best of Both Worlds), then there are the morality play episodes (usually containing veiled references to real life ethical, philisophical and moral issues), the time travel episodes, creature of the week episodes, light comedy, wartime drama (almost the entirety of DS9 season 7), etc...

It's more than just science fiction.

I love SW too, but it's narrower in its focus.

Mane

Permabanned
Yeah. My main complaint is that the thrusters should be on the main concentration of mass, not on outriggers.

Yes I understand the warp nacelles don't produce conventional thrust and there's no drag in space, but there are still oscillations which would effect spindly craft such as the Enterprise. I'm sure this is mitigated with advanced materials and tech but it'd regardless be cheaper and more efficient to build just a regular disc e.g. Millennium Falcon or a wedge a la Star Destroyer.

Well,, since it's the godfather of space is an ocean, and they always fight and maneuver in two dimensions, I assume the thrusters are placed like that to be above the invisible water surface that is apparently spread throughout the universe.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I will admit the first few episodes of TNG have been unbearable. At least Star Wars didn't start with the Ewoks and Jar Jar.

I might move to DS9 early.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well,, since it's the godfather of space is an ocean, and they always fight and maneuver in two dimensions, I assume the thrusters are placed like that to be above the invisible water surface that is apparently spread throughout the universe.

That's not true. This wasn't the case in the Wrath of Khan.

Mane

Permabanned
That's not true. This wasn't the case in the Wrath of Khan.

It was in the original series, TNG, DS9 and the quarter of Voyager I managed to push through.

There e is also a pretty good reason for that:

Star%2BTrek%2BUSS%2BEnterprise-E%2Bstudio%2Bmodel%2B11.jpg

Sure, there is a part of everyone of us that wants to throw that in the air, buzz with it throughout the room, hold it in every angle possible and eventually crash it...But god damn it, Mr. budget will be mad.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I will admit the first few episodes of TNG have been unbearable. At least Star Wars didn't start with the Ewoks and Jar Jar.

I thought the entire first year or so of TNG was terrible, so much so that I didn't bother watching it until much later in the series. I think it definitely had growing pains and took awhile to measure up to the overall ST standard.

93JC

If you want to skip over the crap at the beginning of TNG's run, watch "The Neutral Zone" (Season 1), "Elementary, Dear Data", "The Measure of a Man", "Q Who" and "The Emissary" (all from Season 2). Then start at season 3 and enjoy. I really would not start watching DS9 until you've seen "Chain of Command", which is about halfway through season 6 of TNG.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sure, there is a part of everyone of us that wants to throw that in the air, buzz with it throughout the room, hold it in every angle possible and eventually crash it...But god damn it, Mr. budget will be mad.

There isn't a part of me that wants to do that. I get a little crazy defending something I think is important, or if I think someone is treated unfairly, but if I find out I'm being manipulated, I don't take kindly to that.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

just watch measure of a man, q who, then skip to season 3. trust me, it gets really good and starts to come into its own as a show

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you want to skip over the crap at the beginning of TNG's run, watch "The Neutral Zone" (Season 1), "Elementary, Dear Data", "The Measure of a Man", "Q Who" and "The Emissary" (all from Season 2). Then start at season 3 and enjoy. I really would not start watching DS9 until you've seen "Chain of Command", which is about halfway through season 6 of TNG.

agree. they kind of started setting it up for ds9 when they introduced the cardassians, then the bajorans in tng.

you could even alternate between ds9 and tng once you got to season 6.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
agree. they kind of started setting it up for ds9 when they introduced the cardassians, then the bajorans in tng.

you could even alternate between ds9 and tng once you got to season 6.

What was the name of the original series episode where they first showed the Romulans? And this created suspicion between Spock and the other crew members of the Enterprise?

The Romulans are interesting because they're also pretty intelligent, but they use their intelligence for power and control, not to discover things or help others. They're mirror images of each other, which makes sense because the Romulans are offshoots of the Vulcans. The Vulcans used to be a lot more like the Romulans earlier in their history, and after it destroyed the Vulcan homeworld, they decided to pursue a different path.