• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love the DS9 arcs, but when you haven't watched it recently, it's difficult to recall particular storylines from single episodes because the arcs span across multiple episodes and seasons. Makes sense though.

I thought he left starfleet to defend his people against the cardassians after the federation abandoned them. Seems noble enough and unmotivated by any desire for personal gain or as some big "fuck you" to an organization that failed to promote him quicker.

Perhaps this is cynical of me, but it's more likely that the stuff about defending them against the Cardassians was just a justification. He may have believed it in his own mind, but I think that subconsciously, the real issue was that his career had stalled.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps this is cynical of me, but it's more likely that the stuff about defending them against the Cardassians was just a justification. He may have believed it in his own mind, but I think that subconsciously, the real issue was that his career had stalled.

Possibly. I believe he left SF before the cardassian-federation treaty. He made a few gaffes during first contact with new species early in his career. This may have slowed his ascendancy as a command division officer.

Sidenote: I always wondered if he was from the same tribe seen in the TNG episode Journey's End.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Possibly. I believe he left SF before the cardassian-federation treaty. He made a few gaffes during first contact with new species early in his career. This may have slowed his ascendancy as a command division officer.

Sidenote: I always wondered if he was from the same tribe seen in the TNG episode Journey's End.

I'll have to check out that episode to get a better sense of what you're driving at.

In the meantime, enjoy this DS9 clip:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll have to check out that episode to get a better sense of what you're driving at.

In the meantime, enjoy this DS9 clip:

My facts might not be straight. Memory Alpha is a good resource for character backstories.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Q was pretty awesome from the get-go.
I always despised Q, to the point that I stopped watching any episode that involved him. He came across as a pointless but omnipotent being who just toyed with everyone else for kicks. If something deeper about him was ever revealed, I missed it.

I think some of the original series based movies, especially The Voyage Home, rank among my favorite sci fi movies. The Wrath of Kahn was also good for very different reasons.
Agreed.

But as far as big fun, big special effects, etc., Star Trek as a whole pales in comparison to Star Wars.

Star Wars wasn't particular thought provoking. I always thought of that franchise as a fantasy franchise with a sci fi based universe. So, to me, it'd be more fair to compare it to Avatar, or to Game of Thrones, or the Tolkien series... which were more appeals to imagination and brings up emotional entanglements (Luke's relationship to Darth Vader for example).

This is correct. Star Trek is more cerebral, while Star Wars and appeals more to the senses and the imagination, and, at its best a sense of adventure. When Star Wars good, it deals with emotions and conflict, similar to fantasy, as you've stated. I like the idea in ROTJ that you can win by not fighting, in particular, and the idea in ESB that Luke could become the very thing he is fighting against. Maybe it's because I'm old fashioned in some regards, but I think those ideas still have contemporary relevance.
I agree with much of the above analyses, except that the best of ST also deals wtih emotions and conflict. These are some of the reasons why I have always much preferred Star Trek. I don't care so much about special effects, if they come at the expense of good character development and plot, and thought-provoking and novel ideas.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree with much of the above analyses, except that the best of ST also deals wtih emotions and conflict. These are some of the reasons why I have always much preferred Star Trek. I don't care so much about special effects, if they come at the expense of good character development and plot, and thought-provoking and novel ideas.

True.

Star Trek gave us this scene, which I rather like.

Speaking of which, I think they did a very good job at fleshing out the Cardassians, Bajorans and even Ferengi. I like the idea behind Cardassian detective novels, which demonstrate that everyone is guilty, and that therefore the Cardassian legal system is infallible. It's an amusing concept.

Here's an interesting question for you... if you had to make a choice, which one of these worlds would you live on? The Cardassian homeworld, or the Ferengi homeworld?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
3pn2zQa.jpg

I always despised Q, to the point that I stopped watching any episode that involved him. He came across as a pointless but omnipotent being who just toyed with everyone else for kicks. If something deeper about him was ever revealed, I missed it.

The false god type of story got old fast. Roddenberry seemed to love those episodes because they're more frequent in TOS and the first 4 seasons of TNG. They didn't do as many after Berman took over (except for the obvious Q episodes)

- - - Updated - - -

True.

Star Trek gave us this scene, which I rather like.

Speaking of which, I think they did a very good job at fleshing out the Cardassians, Bajorans and even Ferengi. I like the idea behind Cardassian detective novels, which demonstrate that everyone is guilty, and that therefore the Cardassian legal system is infallible. It's an amusing concept.

Here's an interesting question for you... if you had to make a choice, which one of these worlds would you live on? The Cardassian homeworld, or the Ferengi homeworld?

ferengi. at least they're open and honest about being scheming backstabbers.

Tuvok sings

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's been years since I've seen the series, but there was an episode where he lost his powers, and another episode where he had a child (I think) that showed more depth. Besides, it was a pleasure to watch John deLancie play him.

Just because he often functioned as a plot device versus a character (he wasn't a part of the main cast) isn't a reason to say he wasn't fun, although if you hated him, then you hated him I suppose.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's been years since I've seen the series, but there was an episode where he lost his powers, and another episode where he had a child (I think) that showed more depth. Besides, it was a pleasure to watch John deLancie play him.

Just because he often functioned as a plot device versus a character (he wasn't a part of the main cast) isn't a reason to say he wasn't fun, although if you hated him, then you hated him I suppose.

Deja Q, the best Q episode

edit: I really enjoy the Q episodes on Voyager. He worked better in that series than on DS9

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ferengi. at least they're open and honest about being scheming backstabbers.

Same. You can also negotiate with the Ferengi if you can just point out how something will be profitable. Cardassia is just surrounded by paranoia and suspicion, and there's no way to argue or talk yourself out of anything there. It's very easy to get in hot water, and if you do, you're essentially screwed.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never watched Star Trek and haven't seen Star Wars since I was 10 years old :ninja:

giphy.gif