• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Watch tng. And while you are at it google best episodes on tos and watch them too.

Ds9 is the best but you wouldnt get a star trek feeling from it. Their archs are too long. Tng and tos has one episode archs.

Ds9 will spin you if you watch too much like babylon5, whereas tng you can calmly be entertained for as many episodes as you like. I would say for entertainment purposes tng is the best.

Tos is too old fashioned and kirk apparently has a secret agenda to fuck every alien he sees. He also thinks he is sexier than he is.

Anyway, when you are watching ds9 i recomment you watch elim garak episodes or simply the best episodes.

The best two episodes of TNG were The Best Of Both Worlds 1 and 2, but one would need to watch a few other episodes first to get into it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is blasphemy but that movie was quite good.

The issue is in their inability create a good plot they brought back the ace they have used before.

The first new movie is what sucked. It destroyed the star trek universe we've known for 50 years.

It's like revealing that the sith lord is actually jar jar binks all along. Lolz imagine that. I would actually like to see that to see how angry star wars fans would get.

I hated the fact that the appearance of kligons were changed. They werw such typical estjs in the serieses (it was so entertaining) but in the movies they have been given introverted personalities. I am not saying introverted personalities suck but for kligons who are so fun but hardworking and rude at the say time making them introverts suck.

I actually thought the first movie, the reboot, was pretty great. I've had trouble enjoying the second one, though.

I'm not really sure where you're drawing a line with introvert vs extrovert klingons, though. They were barely in the last movie, and not nearly long enough to evaluate an entire species. I thought they were a mix of i/e in TNG.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually thought the first movie, the reboot, was pretty great. I've had trouble enjoying the second one, though.

I'm not really sure where you're drawing a line with introvert vs extrovert klingons, though. They were barely in the last movie, and not nearly long enough to evaluate an entire species. I thought they were a mix of i/e in TNG.

You are right that they didn't have enough screen time to be typed, but the little screen time they had they had a reserved look with changed appearance from tng.

I wouldnt be surprised if they are planning on making them less kligonish and more romulan like, which would fuck things up.

If you've seen kligon episodes you would notice that a majority of them were extroverted (mainly estj) and that they had a culture which is brutal, strict, ruthless, get shit done efficiently (TJ), fuck emotions of your own todler (lack of F appreciation) along with many mindless rules and traditions (SJ) yet supported and socializing and jovialness which screams estj culture.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You are right that they didn't have enough screen time to be typed, but the little screen time they had they had a reserved look with changed appearance from tng.

Whatever. I feel like it's premature to get anxious about something that hasn't clearly happened at this stage.

I do consider the TNG version the definitive one. I also have a soft spot in my heart for Suzie Plakson (K'Ehleyr), even if she was only half-Klingon and didn't respect the Klingon ways necessarily... her personality was still very Klingon-hot tempered.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whatever. I feel like it's premature to get anxious about something that hasn't clearly happened at this stage.

I do consider the TNG version the definitive one. I also have a soft spot in my heart for Suzie Plakson (K'Ehleyr), even if she was only half-Klingon and didn't respect the Klingon ways necessarily... her personality was still very Klingon-hot tempered.

I am already frustrated about what happened. So i am kinda anxious.

Oh yeah i remember her. She was awesome, had the kligon touch but didnt respect the kligon ways.

I couldnt mention earlier, Worf the most frequent kligon on the show although had the kligon branded honour (which i forgot to mention earlier) and temper he didnt have a kligon personality. Jadxia/curzon dax rudely pointed this out to him in one ds9 episode.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am already frustrated about what happened. So i am kinda anxious.

Oh yeah i remember her. She was awesome, had the kligon touch but didnt respect the kligon ways.

I couldnt mention earlier, Worf the most frequent kligon on the show although had the kligon branded honour (which i forgot to mention earlier) and temper he didnt have a kligon personality. Jadxia/curzon dax rudely pointed this out to him in one ds9 episode.

Well, he wasn't raised by Klingons, right? He was raised by humans (rural Slavic sorts?)

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, he wasn't raised by Klingons, right? He was raised by humans (rural Slavic sorts?)

Thay didnt prevent him from having a kligon personality when he was young. He had accidentally killed a boy in a football game when he was young which made him more cautious and introverted he tells jadzia.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

They were Belarussians. Belarus is also known as White Russia (I don't know why). There's a Belarussian language, however, the status is similar to Irish in that few people speak it, and most of those are in rural areas. The Russians suppressed this; although I can't remember if this was something done during the Tsars or the Soviet period. Probably both.

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They were Belarussians. Belarus is also known as White Russia (I don't know why).

That's what the name means. Bela is white. I'm not sure of the name's origins though.

And yeah, russification there began much earlier than the Soviet era.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The best two episodes of TNG were The Best Of Both Worlds 1 and 2 The Inner Light and The Measure of a Man, but one would need to watch a few other episodes first to get into it.

fixed that for you

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

They tried to do a similar characterization with Belanna from Voyager. Actually worked well, but I've always been more forgiving of that series than most trekkies.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't seen a whole lot of TNG episodes, but one of the few that I have seen had a line that's stuck with me even after ~20 years. The Enterprise comes upon a planet, deserted except for an elderly human couple. There's obviously something fishy going on, and at the end of the episode Picard confronts the husband...

I believe that's also the episode where Worf attempts to make polite small talk.

tumblr_mpx2nkebDQ1rd80hmo7_r1_250.gif

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
That's what the name means. Bela is white. I'm not sure of the name's origins though.

And yeah, russification there began much earlier than the Soviet era.

He also likes holidays to Minsk. I think they did that on purpose to get Michael Dorn to say "Minsk"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
See, this thread kind of highlights the type of splash each series made.

Star Wars was a movie phenomena but it seems to have centered on cinematic appearances (and toy merchandise), although there was a lot of fiction and some cartoon TV shows at some point.

Meanwhile Star Trek did okay with its movies but I would say it was far more part of TV culture being beamed into private homes regularly... four different series, with hundreds of episodes altogether (which I don't feel like tallying up at the moment), of a more serial nature. Also means people who flip channels might have been more liable to run across it, and instead of about 12-14 hours of movies, you have hundreds of hours of TV episodes. Put another way, you got six hours of Luke on the screen, but 80+ hours of Worf.

So in a sense you get to know the characters far better and see them in far more different situations in Star Trek.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like star trek... there's interesting characters, all kinds of different planets that they visit, decisions to make, occasional action, funny things happen! sometimes sad things happen :sadbanana: and I would SO do captain piccard without a second thought :drool:

star wars felt like a pretty trite story with mostly uninteresting characters (hero's journey... whiny assholes and relatively one dimensional characters for the most part, with a few exceptions) and the prequels were pretty awful. For the most part I thought that BOTH sides were wrong in their methods of carrying things out as well (historically speaking)... of course I'm not usually a fan of things that are supposed to be "epic" anyways because they're almost always a letdown from all of the hype that they get :thumbdown:

didn't actually watch either of them until I reached my twenties, so no real sense of childhood nostalgia to color the assessments and both were explored with the same two SOs, so no influence that way either (I think that both of them actually have a slight preference to star wars :doh:)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's like revealing that the sith lord is actually jar jar binks all along. Lolz imagine that. I would actually like to see that to see how angry star wars fans would get.

Yeah, they would have thrown a fit.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Star Wars: The Ultimate Absurdist Fantasy

Passacaglia

...didn't actually watch either of them until I reached my twenties, so no real sense of childhood nostalgia to color the assessments and both were explored with the same two SOs, so no influence that way either (I think that both of them actually have a slight preference to star wars :doh:)
Same here. Sometime after high school, I watched the original SW trilogy, then the prequels when they were in theaters, and I've seen bits and pieces of all five ST series as well as a few of the movies. (I think I currently have a ST movie on my Netflix queue...) I've enjoyed a lot of both franchises, often including the stuff that fans love to hate. But I've never gone back for seconds the way I do for my favorite shows, like say New BSG.

...And now that I've just declared myself a sci-fi heretic, I'm going to go hide!

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...And now that I've just declared myself a sci-fi heretic, I'm going to go hide!
Nah, it's cool. You're allowed to like more than Star Wars and Star Trek. I'm a browncoat 4 life, yo. (That means Firefly fan.)

I also really liked Stargate: Atlantis. Those Wraith were badass.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Same here. Sometime after high school, I watched the original SW trilogy, then the prequels when they were in theaters, and I've seen bits and pieces of all five ST series as well as a few of the movies. (I think I currently have a ST movie on my Netflix queue...) I've enjoyed a lot of both franchises, often including the stuff that fans love to hate. But I've never gone back for seconds the way I do for my favorite shows, like say New BSG.

I think you probably have enough nerd credentials from other hobbies to be somewhat safe from being burned in effigy by the sci-fi crowd :laugh:

Nah, it's cool. You're allowed to like more than Star Wars and Star Trek. I'm a browncoat 4 life, yo. (That means Firefly fan.)

I also really liked Stargate: Atlantis. Those Wraith were badass.

:heart: firefly... such a good show (which reminds me that I also am disappointed that there was no more Carnivale :sadbanana:)

generally if confronted by a choice between sci-fi and fantasy I'll go for fantasy though (especially things like fantasy americana or any type of fairy tale)... the man, an SJ, will typically choose sci-fi... especially post-apocalyptic sci-fi :thelook: