• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Shyamalan's "The Visit"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Could it be that he actually has made a movie (on a $5 million budget) worth seeing? Or is it just better than everything else he's been making in the latter half of his career?

He seems to be cruising around a 70-80% range so far, although the bulk of reviews have not yet come out.... that the movie takes itself less seriously and thus avoids one of his typical pitfalls.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nice to see if he can salvage his career. Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were great movies......since then....well....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He could still put it on his resume, as long as he also added, "PS. I told him NO but he wouldn't listen."

Nice to see if he can salvage his career. Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were great movies......since then....well....

I'll toss in the other thread link, where we've discussed all the other movies. In general, people seem to agree he's been on a huge decline, but Signs is for some a favorite and for others not.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/arts-and-entertainment/62870-signs-night-shyamalan.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...t/62888-worst-night-shyamalan-movie-poll.html

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He made another one???

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He made another one???

I think he paid for it himself out of his paycheck from "After Earth." That's what I read somewhere; not sure if it was true.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He'd better not make a cameo appearance. He's not exactly Hitchcock.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Too many plot holes in his films. Large, gaping ones. I nitpick films, so they're pretty hard to overlook.

"oooh water hurts the aliens." so creative.

As if an advanced race wouldn't have considered this before invading a planet where over half the surface is water.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sixth Sense good?

:thinking:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I actually read the plot summary for this on wikipedia and it sounded pretty decent and fairly original. Won't say more though.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lady in the Water was pretty awful. Which annoys me, because I really like Paul Giamatti and Bryce Howard, and their talents were totally wasted in that movie. Don't get me started on Shyamalan casting himself as the savior of the world. What kind of delusional egomaniac does that?

The Happening? Yikes. Just no.

The Last Airbender... its 6% rating on Rotten Tomatoes speaks for itself.

I watched After Earth out of morbid curiosity, because Sony actually hid the fact that it was a Shyamalan film. I guess they thought people wouldn't bother seeing it if they knew. It was predictably bad. And I don't know who thinks that Jaden Smith can act. Other than his overzealous father.

So yeah. Shyamalan has been batting zero for a while now. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how he keeps getting work. My only theory is that everyone who gets involved in his films foolishly tell themselves, "This is going to be the one, I just know it!"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Too many plot holes in his films. Large, gaping ones. I nitpick films, so they're pretty hard to overlook.

"oooh water hurts the aliens." so creative.

As if an advanced race wouldn't have considered this before invading a planet where over half the surface is water.

... um... well... like I said, I hated the last ten minutes. :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So yeah. Shyamalan has been batting zero for a while now. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how he keeps getting work. My only theory is that everyone who gets involved in his films foolishly tell themselves, "This is going to be the one, I just know it!"

Well, this one was self-financed, so that might be part of your answer:
...Universal Pictures has acquired worldwide distribution rights to The Visit, a low-budget film that M. Night Shyamalan wrote and directed in covert fashion, in partnership with Blumhouse Productions’ Jason Blum. The studio has set the film for release September 11, 2015. ...He wanted to get back to his roots and make a film outside the studio system, and he self-financed and shot this in and around his home in Pennsylvania. He then partnered with Blumhouse, which has a first-look deal at Universal and specializes in low-budget genre fare like Ouija..

He did produce (and direct the first episode of?) "Wayward Pines" for TV, which was pretty decent for about six episodes of its ten-episode run... faltered coming around the stretch... and IMO kind of stumbled in the finale, then fell flat on its face in the last five minutes due to an unnecessary and emotionally traitorous twist. :doh:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I like Mel Gibson. My man parts enchubben when I recall his performance as George Washington in The Patriot. What a badass.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He did produce (and direct the first episode of?) "Wayward Pines" for TV, which was pretty decent for about six episodes of its ten-episode run... faltered coming around the stretch... and IMO kind of stumbled in the finale, then fell flat on its face in the last five minutes due to an unnecessary and emotionally traitorous twist. :doh:
Ironically, when I started watching Pines, I said to myself, "This will probably be like LOST, where it starts out great, and then the whole thing is ruined by the ending."

Apparently I am a prophet.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ironically, when I started watching Pines, I said to myself, "This will probably be like LOST, where it starts out great, and then the whole thing is ruined by the ending."

Apparently I am a prophet.

There are some scenes from the end of Lost I would save; but I think the audience should have legally had a clause in our viewing contract for a "redo" for Season 6 so all the crap could be fixed.

Did you make it to the end of Pines? I almost threw my shoe at the television.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
You just have to watch the reboot of The Road Warrior compared to the original to re-kindle your love of Mel.

I've heard good things about M. Night's latest. Maybe I will check it out although straight up jump scare horror movies aren't right in my wheelhouse.

I did like Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and to a lesser extent Signs though. These day his main claim to fame is how fast and consistently his movies went downhill from there on. It almost takes a special kind of skill to do that.