• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sequels as good or better than the original films

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Yes exactly. Max had shut down before the rest of the world did. His best friend was Dog, also a character of few words.

The loneliness experienced by Neville in the book I Am Legend could never be properly conveyed in The Last Man on Earth, The Omega Man, or the 2007 movie adaptation. Only the written word allowed the audience to fully experience the torture of his isolation. It’s a brilliant story.

That book was really the bees knees. I have a hard time with the adaptations but Road Warrior proved it could be done.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know right? Dark City is probably my favorite movie along side Miller's Crossing. But oh man can you imagine how good a series would be? It could even be a reboot to a certain extent. Like it wouldnt even have to feature John Murdoch, or at least not the John Murdoch we see in the film. It could be so good either way.

i would probably set it earlier in the timeline... the system doesn't have the kinks fully worked out yet, and mistakes/inconsistencies (while not common) happen a bit more frequently... perhaps not everyone is reliably locatable when things are being "rearranged" (a secret location to hide, which is later lost until it is applicable again near the end)... i'ld have it focus on a set of characters at first, but as the show developed i would cycle them out and in... kill them off occasionaly...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I liked Guardians of the Galaxy 2 better than the original. I think sometimes I get a little impatient with origin stories.

I think all of the Mad Max sequels are better than the original. Even Thunderdome. The original is good, but it's basically a generic vigilante revenge film. It doesn't even feel all that apocalyptic either.

This is a series where basically each film is a remake of the previous film, so they kind of improved on the formula everytime. A lot of people bash Thunderdome but I think it's superb. Though my personal favorites are Fury Road and Road Warrior.

I dunno, I think people need to get beyond thunderdome.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Godfather Part II
The Empire Strikes Back
From Russia With Love
Aliens
Star Trek II-IV
Friday the 13th Part 4
The Road Warrior
Dawn of the Dead
Terminator 2
The Dark Knight

Empire strikes back is a terrible movie. Apparently Tie Bombers have the magical ability to drop bombs in Zero-g. And if you can just escape a Star Destroyer by hiding on the back, why didn't Leia's ship do that at the beginning of the first movie?

Not to mention that the story goes nowhere. We spend the whole movie watching Luke train with a muppet and then he just... gets his arm chopped off. Storytelling 101 people. And then there's that whole thing of Han Solo escaping from the Empire just to end up a popsicle, not to mention that pointless chase of the bounty hunter on that cloud planet. i guess it's brilliant not to have a proper resolution to your story because it "subverts expectations."

Empire strikes back is a terrible movie. Apparently Tie Bombers have the magical ability to drop bombs in Zero-g. And if you can just escape a Star Destroyer by hiding on the back, why didn't Leia's ship do that at the beginning of the first movie?

Not to mention that the story goes nowhere. We spend the whole movie watching Luke train with a muppet and then he just... gets his arm chopped off. Storytelling 101 people. And then there's that whole thing of Han Solo escaping from the Empire just to end up a popsicle, not to mention that pointless chase of the bounty hunter on that cloud planet. i guess it's brilliant not to have a proper resolution to your story because it "subverts expectations."

Empire Strikes Back was a terrible movie? Wow. Just wow. I suppose if you thought The Last Jedi was good anything is possible.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked Guardians of the Galaxy 2 better than the original. I think sometimes I get a little impatient with origin stories.

Damn -- You mean we agree on something? :smile:

I did like the first one too, but I felt like it was fishing around trying to find its synergy until the middle somewhere. the last half is pretty decent.

The second one was much tighter. Maybe too tight. But everything was interconnected and hooked together despite a few different arcs in play. Minor example -- protecting the batteries (which seems like a throwaway scene), which leads to the stealing of the batteries, which leads to a Rocket character arc but also creates an antagonist and pushes an endgame plot point and ALSO then being a major part of the overall plot resolution. Like, there really wasn't much left over that I can recall, each seeming superfluous plot detail played a role later in the film.

Plus, it just has some real great character moments, including Nebula and Gamora working through their issues -- which leads directly to a plot point in Avengers: Endgame that is rather moving. Or Peter growing up and choosing his friends as his family to the point of being willing to die for them if need be. Or the Yondu thing. I dunno. It just really pushes on my buttons emotionally, not just intellectually. I am really curious to see what Gunn is going to do with the third film, especially since he had finished the script before getting fired, then the film got delayed even with him coming back, and in the meanwhile did he have to revise anything now that a few more marvel films came out?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Damn -- You mean we agree on something? :smile:

I did like the first one too, but I felt like it was fishing around trying to find its synergy until the middle somewhere. the last half is pretty decent.

The second one was much tighter. Maybe too tight. But everything was interconnected and hooked together despite a few different arcs in play. Minor example -- protecting the batteries (which seems like a throwaway scene), which leads to the stealing of the batteries, which leads to a Rocket character arc but also creates an antagonist and pushes an endgame plot point and ALSO then being a major part of the overall plot resolution. Like, there really wasn't much left over that I can recall, each seeming superfluous plot detail played a role later in the film.

Plus, it just has some real great character moments, including Nebula and Gamora working through their issues -- which leads directly to a plot point in Avengers: Endgame that is rather moving. Or Peter growing up and choosing his friends as his family to the point of being willing to die for them if need be. Or the Yondu thing. I dunno. It just really pushes on my buttons emotionally, not just intellectually. I am really curious to see what Gunn is going to do with the third film, especially since he had finished the script before getting fired, then the film got delayed even with him coming back, and in the meanwhile did he have to revise anything now that a few more marvel films came out?

"He may have been your father, but he sure wasn't your daddy."

I even liked the musical choices better. The use of Brandy was particularly inspired, I thought. I also felt like the plot was a lot more sci-fi and leaned more into space weirdness, which I always appreciate.

So it's confirmed he's coming back from the third one in spite of all that nonsense? Good.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Insurgent, Independence Day 2, Superman 2, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Antman and the Wasp, John Wick 2

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh, while we're on Marvel movies, Thor 3 was definitely better than Thor 1. (Didn't see 2).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree on Winter Soldier. It might still be my favorite Marvel film.

Yeah, Gunn had simply gotten contracted for Suicide Squad reboot before he got reoffered to do GotG3. So he is doing SS first. We won't see GotG3 probably until late 2022 or more likely mid 2023.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

XD

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Actually Empire wasn’t universally loved upon initial release. These were probably actual complaints of some critics

I still think Empire does a superior job of tying together the different arcs by the end. Luke learns a lesson by the end. I’m not sure Rey ever learns anything. It’s never really made clear with her that she learns much in the movies so much as it's conveyed that she's already nearly perfect from the moment we see us...because the force is female I guess. This is supposed to be the central character in the new trilogy but things sort of just happen to her and she overcomes each new obstacle without any real sense of learning or growth. Hate to bring up the M word *(rhymes with Larry Shoe), but I can see why that label's used on her a lot.

The bombers is a silly complaint some people just latched onto. My complaints aren't with that scene or the mary poppins flying bit.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually Empire wasn’t universally loved upon initial release. These were probably actual comments.

I believe it. I remember when the prequels were "WORST MOVIES EVAR" and I heard about that nonstop for like 10 years after ROTS came out. It started to cool down around the time new films were announced...

I'm sorry if I seem to be taking the whole thing too seriously. It's just that I think there's a 'consensus' among geek subcultures that emerges and it's like the opinion everyone has to have, and it's also a really fickle consensus. George Lucas was Satan for a long time, and then Rian Johnson came along. I'm not saying that you or anyone else here is part of that, but I think it's a real thing. It's a big part of why, while I still like the same things, being part of geek subculture or whatever you might want to call it just isn't that important to me anymore (There's also the realization that geekiness and douchebaggery are independent variables rather than being inversely correlated).

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Last time I checked, there were 5 Leprechaun movies, and all the sequels were better than the original. The first one took itself too seriously, the others realised the whole thing was ridiculous and played on it. Leprechaun in space is particularly silly and definitely one of my favourites.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh, another Marvel example. Infinity War (haven't seen endgame) is better than the original Avengers and Age of Ultron. I don't like Loki that much as an outright villain; I prefer him as chaotic neutral.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Bad Boys II
Godfather II
Road Warrior (Although I prefer Fury Road to both MM and RR but I liked Thunderdome)
Bourne Supremacy
Terminator II Judgement Day (SO much better)
Skyfall
Desperado
Lethal Weapon II

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
T2 is maybe the penultimate "sequel that's better than the original."

Aliens is probably a personal second favorite. Also, +1 to Two Towers but only for the extended version.

I can't think of anything that hasn't been mentioned. Except maybe liking Futureworld more than Westworld (I think Yule Brenner is amazing in Westworld, but overall I like Futureworld more).

Oh! Eta: the second & third Austen Powers. Liked them more than the first. Liked the third one the most.