• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Selling things over the internet.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So I have some Ikea bed slats I'm looking to sell (they were the wrong size and returning them wasn't an option). What are the sites people like to use for selling things? I'm looking for an alternative to Amazon.

Tomb1

Bed slats sound like a pain in the ass to ship and costly...that's why I don't like ebay or etsy platforms for that type of item. Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace sounds like a better fit because the advertisement can be tailored to a local audience and avoids the shipping hassle. If you were looking to start an online store, then Ebay would work better, especially if the items are lightweight and easy to package but just to move some bed slats, I'd go for more local. Personally, I've had no problems selling stuff on Craigslist. There's no overhead, the ads are free and the platform does not take a piece of your action. FB Marketplace is probably the same though I have no firsthand experience to speak from

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I will just say that FB Marketplace is full of flaky people and the listings aren't always transparent in terms of something being faulty. 😞

craigslist and ebay is the same way, well especially craigslist. there's not gonna be a place online that you aren't gonna get this, people are shitty in conclusion

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
eBay, craigslist, Amazon for conventional products.

Looking to move some vital organs and/or illegal drugs? Bring your cryptocurrency and your overseas based proxy servers, because we're all boarding the midnight train to the Dark Web!!!!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Bed slats sound like a pain in the ass to ship and costly...that's why I don't like ebay or etsy platforms for that type of item. Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace sounds like a better fit because the advertisement can be tailored to a local audience and avoids the shipping hassle. If you were looking to start an online store, then Ebay would work better, especially if the items are lightweight and easy to package but just to move some bed slats, I'd go for more local. Personally, I've had no problems selling stuff on Craigslist. There's no overhead, the ads are free and the platform does not take a piece of your action. FB Marketplace is probably the same though I have no firsthand experience to speak from

Unless you are selling a car or boat, I think, on Craigslist. Then it's $5 for the ad.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I was looking to sell them to people in my city, really. It's big enough that I might be able to pull it off.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions everyone!

An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery, and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late

And isn't it ironic?
Don't you think?

It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
And who would've thought? It figures

Mr. Play-It-Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye