• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Selfie-takers tend to overestimate their attractiveness

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You can't be negative about yourself or it's pathological. You can't be too positive about yourself or it's equally maladaptive and pathological. Someone show me the tiny sliver of land inbetween that's okay to set my toes on!

Its more hip to hate yourself. Look at all the "I'm garbage lololol" posts on social media and how people laugh over it together.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Its more hip to hate yourself. Look at all the "I'm garbage lololol" posts on social media and how people laugh over it together.

True, but I was talking more from a psychological standpoint, and how both positive and negative feelings about oneself are considered diagnostic criteria. To me, it feels like there's very little room to be considered normal unless I am extremely careful.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=15392]Cellmold[/MENTION], lolz at those examples.

There's occasional selfie pic taking, most people have probably done that at one time or another, and then there's *Selfie pic taking* at a whole other level like what you were posting. With some people I think it becomes an obsessive thing? Or their social group does it constantly so then they start doing it constantly too?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
[MENTION=15392]Cellmold[/MENTION], lolz at those examples.

There's occasional selfie pic taking, most people have probably done that at one time or another, and then there's *Selfie pic taking* at a whole other level like what you were posting. With some people I think it becomes an obsessive thing? Or their social group does it constantly so then they start doing it constantly too?

Well it's probably a case of "This is myself, affirmed by the social attention I receive and so with more pictures I feel more secure because more attention equals more affirmation and move towards a more solid (reliant on external support though so making it a 'front' of solidity which is actually quite fragile) sense of self" but I could just be reaching.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well it's probably a case of "This is myself, affirmed by the social attention I receive and so with more pictures I feel more secure because more attention equals more affirmation and move towards a more solid (reliant on external support though so making it a 'front' of solidity which is actually quite fragile) sense of self" but I could just be reaching.

Yeah, that's a documented thing, I think. ie Facebook and social media phenomenon of self worth becoming equated with how much attention, likes, comments, etc you get on your posts. It's basically a drug.

Puffypolma

Bizarre Love Triangle
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I take selfies a lot but I only show maybe 1% of them to public. And I don't think I am attractive in those selfies; on the contrary, I think I am incredibly unattractive but I don't feel bad about it at all.

Silent

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I know a selfie taking bitch who thinks she is all that and a bag of chips. Really she is trashy and tacky. Her snobby attitude shows in every smile. And she is ugly on the inside as a result.

Mole

Permabanned
Yeah, that's a documented thing, I think. ie Facebook and social media phenomenon of self worth becoming equated with how much attention, likes, comments, etc you get on your posts. It's basically a drug.

Yes, we live in the Attention Society, and who gains the most attention wins.

And it is celebrities who are paid the most attention. They steal all the attention for themselves and leave us without attention - no one pays us any attention.

In the 19th century the Robber Barons gained all the money and left the rest of us poor. Today the celebrities are paid all the attention and we are paid with none.

The solution is obvious as it is difficult: we could stop paying the celebrities in attention and start paying attention to one another.

We are in the perfect position to enrich ourselves. Will we take it?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes I do. Sometimes I take them and show nobody. Honestly they help ground me in reality and sometimes help me feel better about myself. Not all self love is unhealthy, and I think in a society that profits from self-hatred, it can be really powerful to see and appreciate diverse images of beauty that don't come from a corporate cog.

Mole

Permabanned
Narcissism is a self validating trap. Narcissism disguises our self hatred, and how grateful we are for that, and most important, narcissism is socially validating because it forms part of our economic system.

Sil

This is a test.
I don't. I don't take photos of mysel in general, though.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love how the title suggests that everyone has an objective level of attractiveness.

Permabanned

They also tend to overestimate how much others care. Even if you are very attractive, conceit is very unappealing to most. It also suggests very little substance underneath all that flashy packaging.

Mozzie610

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I think people post selfies for different reasons. If they feel more attractive for doing so, more power to them. There's nothing wrong with someone feeling good about themselves. But some people enjoy taking selfies because it's chronically their lives (this is me) and not so much about their appearance. Some people do it as an art form. Some do it to make themselves feel better. etc, etc, etc. I think this is one of those things that its fine to not really care about someone's selfies, but I think taking it a step further and belittling the person who took the selfie is just mean. Let them express themselves and just keep scrolling if you don't like it.