• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Real Value vs "Business Value"

ygolo

My termites win
"Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing. We live in an age of surfaces." Lord Henry Wotton, a character in The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Getting to the truth is valuable, as is the investigative work by journalists who get to it, but we get clickbait instead.

The Cat

Offering FREE Monkey paws down at the Crossroads.
Staff member
The Price of almost everything and the cost of almost nothing. Such discrepancies and dependencies are what lead mortals into bargains with entities beyond their scope and ken promising everything and delivering naught but more sacrifice.

ygolo

My termites win
One stereotypical business model for organized crime is to pay people to break windows and then charge people to fix them.

Luckily (or at least hopefully), this business model is illegal. If not, businesses would increase it to produce a "booming economy" of window breaking and fixing. Our GDP may even go up.

Some systems resemble this pattern, however.

We pay marketing teams to spam people and engineers to build spam filters. We charge exorbitant fees for products and create special programs to get discounts.

Some healthcare providers operate under incentives that are misaligned with a healthier population.

ygolo

My termites win
I've complained about regulatory capture before, but the problem is worse—cronies have captured all apparatus for making change.

When people want to change things, their mentors push them towards two main paths: business and politics. But the role of money in politics basically merges the two—the path is political gamesmanship in business. Mentors suggest treating Non-Profits like businesses and NGOs like businesses. People who want to make change are encouraged to major in business or political science and get a law degree.

hero-image.fill.size_1200x900.v1682340778.jpg

The above issues have created a political crony class that runs all business sectors and the government.

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win

I could have posted it in the little tech thread, but they only mention those rays of hope in passing, and dismissively.

The "rot com" phenomenon and growth at all costs are real issues.

The valuations for a lot of companies seem ridiculous.

However, process automation is the promise of this wave of AI, and that is just getting started.

Business process automation, yes. But also personal process automation.

But Big Tech is sucking all the resources and deploying them in ways that increase costs and reduce access.

I posted before that reinforcement learning (q-learning especially) as consumer applications are being held by businesses to exploit and extract from consumers, rather than having reinforcement learning apps controlled by consumers.

In specific ways, the hype gets the wrong regulations passed. Instead of regulations against deep fakes, privilege seeking behavior with the government, protection of copyright, etc. We see regulations against model size, who can build them, and placing arbitrary hurdles on building them.

The Cat

Offering FREE Monkey paws down at the Crossroads.
Staff member

I could have posted it in the little tech thread, but they only mention those rays of hope in passing, and dismissively.

The "rot com" phenomenon and growth at all costs are real issues.

The valuations for a lot of companies seem ridiculous.

However, process automation is the promise of this wave of AI, and that is just getting started.

Business process automation, yes. But also personal process automation.

But Big Tech is sucking all the resources and deploying them in ways that increase costs and reduce access.

I posted before that reinforcement learning (q-learning especially) as consumer applications are being held by businesses to exploit and extract from consumers, rather than having reinforcement learning apps controlled by consumers.

In specific ways, the hype gets the wrong regulations passed. Instead of regulations against deep fakes, privilege seeking behavior with the government, protection of copyright, etc. We see regulations against model size, who can build them, and placing arbitrary hurdles on building them.
Its almost like you're supposed to be distracted or something. Distracted from what, that's what always tickles my brain.