• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reading Facial Expressions (of cats!)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Cats do have facial expressions, but you probably can’t read them

A shortened version of the test mentioned in the article can be found here:

https://uoguelph.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cBGMqIIYSsurKW9

If you get more than 6/8 of those correct, you may want to try their more difficult one (also 8 questions)

https://uoguelph.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bPDmc8mb110O2fr

I got 8/8 correct in the first, & 7/8 in the second.

Feel free to post your results &/or just discuss the article!

7/8 on the first one.

4/8 on the second.

Perhaps I need to be become an Apprentice.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7/8 on first one
5/8 on the second

- - - Updated - - -

Well duh. Of course. I'll bet you were even in several of the videos. ;)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got 8/8 on the first and on the second I missed the vomiting ones because they squeezed their eyes a little. I think they are trying to relax when they vomit, so the facial expression is similar to when they are actually relaxing.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am disappointed in myself. :(

7/8 on the first, 5/8 on the second.

Though, I console myself as non-contextual moments of unfamiliar cats are harder than contextual expressions.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am disappointed in myself. :(

7/8 on the first, 5/8 on the second.

Though, I console myself as non-contextual moments of unfamiliar cats are harder than contextual expressions.
There were the two vomit ones where the facial expression is similar to when they try to relax and then the hunting/pouncing one is very serious expression. I saw that one and knew what they were doing, but wasn't sure if it was positive or negative. I missed three on the second one also. I also realize that I don't look right at my cats face when they are vomiting, although right before they look different to me than those pictures.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There were the two vomit ones where the facial expression is similar to when they try to relax and then the hunting/pouncing one is very serious expression. I saw that one and knew what they were doing, but wasn't sure if it was positive or negative. I missed three on the second one also. I also realize that I don't look right at my cats face when they are vomiting, although right before they look different to me than those pictures.

I got one of the two vomit ones, but the one I *did* get I think I replayed at least five times.

I'm mostly disappointed about the one in the first set that I missed; I think for a similar reason to what you described as being unsure whether positive or negative, I'd had a more positive read on what was actually negative.

Anyway, it's interesting and different! One of my cats puked a lot more over the course of the first year and a half that I had her than she does now (I tweaked her diet some and I think that's helped), but there were always behavioral elements and sounds going with the expression.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got one of the two vomit ones, but the one I *did* get I think I replayed at least five times.

I'm mostly disappointed about the one in the first set that I missed; I think for a similar reason to what you described as being unsure whether positive or negative, I'd had a more positive read on what was actually negative.

Anyway, it's interesting and different! One of my cats puked a lot more over the course of the first year and a half that I had her than she does now (I tweaked her diet some and I think that's helped), but there were always behavioral elements and sounds going with the expression.
Sometimes kitties are VERY serious when they are feeling good. I don't know if this link works, but this is a short clip from my "butters_and_po" instagram page. The two short barks actually mean they want attention. I knew she was ready for fun, but I did google it for a while to find out the specifics because most people interpret that as being serious or grumpy, but kitties can get VERY serious about having fun. The link might not show w/o instagram account. IDK
Login • Instagram

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes kitties are VERY serious when they are feeling good. I don't know if this link works, but this is a short clip from my "butters_and_po" instagram page. The two short barks actually mean they want attention. I knew she was ready for fun, but I did google it for a while to find out the specifics because most people interpret that as being serious or grumpy, but kitties can get VERY serious about having fun. The link might not show w/o instagram account. IDK
Login • Instagram

ha, that video's cute.

One of my cats continues to be pretty vocal, and I call her 'grumble-pants' when she makes what sounds like a loud complaint. But, it's when she is demanding/wanting attention. ;) I suppose you could argue she's feeling 'negative' because she is lacking something she wants, but overall it's not negative because she gets what she wants and is coming to me while demanding/soliciting love.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ha, that video's cute.

One of my cats continues to be pretty vocal, and I call her 'grumble-pants' when she makes what sounds like a loud complaint. But, it's when she is demanding/wanting attention. ;) I suppose you could argue she's feeling 'negative' because she is lacking something she wants, but overall it's not negative because she gets what she wants and is coming to me while demanding/soliciting love.
I love how we are discussing that cats emotions are too complex to be merely "positive" or "negative" as the test posits. True dat.
:D:D:D:D

I did enjoy the test though.