• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Man, they always stick their foot in their mouth when speaking:
- So he backed a ton of bad candidates regardless? What's that say about his judgment?
- If a party is selecting for a ton of a bad candidates in their primaries, again, what's this say about his party?

I know it means nothing, it's all just noise and doesn't change any opinions, but it's just annoying to read this stuff if you're a rational person. I wish they'd just stop talking and let people breathe.
I snorted when I saw this.

Republicans need to push him in front of a bus to have any hope of regaining anything.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
@The Cat, can you recall if Beau has posted any ideas on how to get ranked voting seriously considered? And if yes, is there any chance you remember when?

I really like him, probably more than Heather Cox Richardson (they balance each other out well), but I just can't handle watching a lot of YouTube. My attention span can't handle it, I zone out about ten seconds in. I wish he posted a written blog, but anyway. (I do follow him on Twitter).

@ceecee Holy shit, congrats on Michigan!!

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
@The Cat, can you recall if Beau has posted any ideas on how to get ranked voting seriously considered? And if yes, is there any chance you remember when?

I really like him, probably more than Heather Cox Richardson (they balance each other out well), but I just can't handle watching a lot of YouTube. My attention span can't handle it, I zone out about ten seconds in. I wish he posted a written blog, but anyway. (I do follow him on Twitter).

let me look back through, might take me a few days.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Thanks! I have no real memory of the last time Dems held the house, senate and governor's office in Michigan, I think I may have been 10. But the rumblings I hear is that repealing Right To Work is going to be one of the first things to go.

I don't watch all of Beau's vids but I don't think he's really done one on ranked choice voting itself.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Thanks! I have no real memory of the last time Dems held the house, senate and governor's office in Michigan, I think I may have been 10. But the rumblings I hear is that repealing Right To Work is going to be one of the first things to go.

I don't watch all of Beau's vids but I don't think he's really done one on ranked choice voting itself.
Yeah, that's what my research is finding also @Z Buck McFate he does a lot of how tos on how to organize community networks from the ground up, but im not finding much about rcv. Sorry, but I'll keep an eye out; he answers a lot of messages, so you could write him about it?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not sure where to post this -- but buckle up, here we go now.

EDIT: It looks like Twitter Blue signups have been removed for the time being at least.

You know, what's asinine about this is that it was highly predictable. How did anyone NOT predict this? If he had simply held a brainstorm meeting for two hours, people would have brought this up as one possible abuse of the system. This was pure incompetence on his part and rushing into something without vetting it properly. If he didn't vet this, what else isn't he thinking through?

Last edited:

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, that's what my research is finding also @Z Buck McFate he does a lot of how tos on how to organize community networks from the ground up, but im not finding much about rcv. Sorry, but I'll keep an eye out; he answers a lot of messages, so you could write him about it?
This is a good idea. I'm still glad I asked you, because I wouldn't want to ask him something he'd already addressed - if it doesn't ring any bells for you (or ceecee), then at least it's not something he's spoken about (at memorable length) in the past couple of years.

He's really very good at presenting solid arguments. I think Heather Cox Richardson works well in tandem because she's great at providing historical context but sometimes I find her clear bias a bit suffocating. They should have a weekly talk show, is what I'm getting at. It could be a cooking show, where they talk while they cook. (Just not on YouTube).

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This is a good idea. I'm still glad I asked you, because I wouldn't want to ask him something he'd already addressed - if it doesn't ring any bells for you (or ceecee), then at least it's not something he's spoken about (at memorable length) in the past couple of years.

He's really very good at presenting solid arguments. I think Heather Cox Richardson works well in tandem because she's great at providing historical context but sometimes I find her clear bias a bit suffocating. They should have a weekly talk show, is what I'm getting at. It could be a cooking show, where they talk while they cook. (Just not on YouTube).
I think a lot of historians approach current events in that way. Of course I appreciate the context but for the most part, much of US politics that existed even a decade ago is no longer. Matt Christman and Chris Wade from Chapo Trap House have started a historical podcast called Hell of Presidents. As someone who has loved Chapo for years and Matt's historical episodes in particular, I'm super excited to listen to this. It might be something you want to check out too.

That said, ranked choice voting, also known as instant runoff voting in the US, would help every state tremendously, even municipalities and county level elections. Michigan, for instance, only uses it in one city and it's been adopted but not implemented in one other. Maine otoh, all federal elections and municipal elections in Portland.

Here is a really good walkthrough using the same example I learned about RCV - ice cream flavors.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The John Fetterman thing makes me so happy. I feel like that illustrated best the conflict within American society. The outcome sorta validates my hypothesis about the best way to resolve it.

Also love the Pritzker win. I saw all kinds of ridiculous signs, and yes those newspapers that were mentioned earlier.
I think I read that there hasn't been an incumbent gov reelected the 90's? But the Rust Belt Big Boys club keeps expanding.

This is MI Rep Joe Tate. He will now become the Speaker of the MI House. Michigan State, NFL, couple tours in Afghanistan. This news made me happier than almost anything else. He is one of my work go to legislatures and will speak almost anytime we ask him to.

FhPOafHX0AsNPxn.jpg:large

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I read that there hasn't been an incumbent gov reelected the 90's? But the Rust Belt Big Boys club keeps expanding.

This is MI Rep Joe Tate. He will now become the Speaker of the MI House. Michigan State, NFL, couple tours in Afghanistan. This news made me happier than almost anything else. He is one of my work go to legislatures and will speak almost anytime we ask him to.

FhPOafHX0AsNPxn.jpg:large
With a resume like that, he may get further.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This link requres a subscription. Can you quote or summarize?
Odd, I've opened it multiple times with no paywall.

Florida legislative leaders say they will discuss further restrictions on abortions​

Supercharged by a supermajority in the House and Senate, Florida legislative leaders broke their silence Wednesday and confirmed they are prepared to discuss further abortion restrictions in Florida in the next year. But how far they will go is the big question, and interviews with the presiding officers indicate they already appear to be taking different approaches. Incoming Senate President Kathleen Passidomo told the Miami Herald/Tampa Bay Times in an interview that she wants to see the 15-week ban approved last year by lawmakers reduced to 12 weeks with the addition of an exclusion for rape and incest, which is currently not allowed.

“I went on record on the abortion bill in support of an exclusion for rape and incest, and I’d like to see that,’’ said Passidomo, a Naples Republican who will be sworn in this month as the third woman to be Florida’s Senate president. “And I think in order to accomplish that, I think we would have to reduce the weeks. I don’t have a problem going to 12 weeks.” Under the law passed earlier this year, all abortions are banned 15 weeks after a woman’s last menstrual period. Women can still obtain an abortion after that cutoff if their health is threatened or if their baby has a “fatal fetal abnormality,” but there is no exception for victims of rape or incest.

Incoming House Speaker Paul Renner, R-Palm Coast, said the House is likely to support additional restrictions as well but he was unwilling to “put a number on it.” “I don’t think it’s time for me to put a number on it until we’ve organized,’’ Renner said, noting that there are 30 new legislators joining the House after the election, including a record 85-member Republican majority. He was not prepared to say if they will want to see an outright ban on all abortions or further limits on the existing 15-week ban. “I personally am pro life and would like to see us move more in that direction,’’ he said. “But I want to hear from my colleagues in the House and my colleagues in the Senate before we take any steps in that direction.”

Bryan Griffin, a spokesman for Gov. Ron DeSantis confirmed the possibility of additional abortion legislation on Friday, and wrote: “We look forward to working with the Legislature to further advance protections for innocent life.” ‘HEARTBEAT’ BILL IS SOUGHT BY ACTIVISTS Anti-abortion activists want legislators to tighten the limits on the procedure by passing a so-called “heartbeat” bill banning abortions after six weeks, before many pregnancies are detected, said John Stemberger, an Orlando attorney and director of the Florida Family Policy Council, an anti-abortion advocacy group. But he said he is uncertain whether that is possible even with what may be the most conservative Legislature in a decade.

“I know the governor wants to do something that is more protective, and his office is weighing what to do,’’ he said. “The question is how much political capital he will use to make this a priority.” Stemberger predicted that “the most likely thing to happen is a heartbeat bill” because that would put Florida in line with states to the north that have either banned all abortions or banned them after six weeks of gestation. “But of course leadership is key,’’ he said. “I think Renner would support a heartbeat bill, as would the governor, but the question is: Will the Senate president?”

After the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, DeSantis issued a statement praising the decision on states’ jurisdiction over abortion regulations and promised that Florida “will work to expand pro-life protections.” He provided no specifics. But DeSantis has also not repeated a promise he made when campaigning in 2018 that he would sign a so-called “heartbeat” bill. On Friday, Griffin would only say that DeSantis is “proud of the 15-week pro-life protections that he signed into law in April, as a baby in gestation beyond 15 weeks is fully formed, can feel pain, and has a heartbeat.”

POLL SHOWS FLORIDIANS SUPPORT RIGHT TO ABORTIONS According to a May survey of over 500 Floridians by Florida Atlantic University, most Florida residents want abortion to remain legal in most cases. That poll showed 67% of residents wanting abortion legal in either all or most cases, including 85% of Democrats, 52% of Republicans and 63% of independents. “These moves are not reflective of what their constituents want — across the board in Florida — and that’s across party lines,’’ said Laura Goodhue, executive director of the Florida Alliance of Planned Parenthood Affiliates. “It doesn’t matter the number of weeks, they’re just opposed to politicians interfering in their pregnancy decisions.” She also said that for Passidomo, a lawyer with three grown daughters, it could be a difficult issue.

“Does she want this to be her legacy — that she’s taking away women’s rights when it’s certainly not the priority of Floridians and her constituents?” Goodhue asked. Goodhue said she agreed with Renner on one thing: “You can’t put a number on people’s rights and people’s pregnancies. Every pregnancy is different.” It is unclear whether Florida voters would punish or reward Republicans for passing more restrictions, which is considered popular with just a segment of the conservative base.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/po...-politics/article268575212.html#storylink=cpy

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, DeSantis issued a statement praising the decision on states’ jurisdiction over abortion regulations and promised that Florida “will work to expand pro-life protections.” He provided no specifics. But DeSantis has also not repeated a promise he made when campaigning in 2018 that he would sign a so-called “heartbeat” bill. On Friday, Griffin would only say that DeSantis is “proud of the 15-week pro-life protections that he signed into law in April, as a baby in gestation beyond 15 weeks is fully formed, can feel pain, and has a heartbeat.
That highlighted part is bs, as far as I know, and should be consistently countered with better medical information.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That highlighted part is bs, as far as I know, and should be consistently countered with better medical information.
That's the trouble, though: Republican politicians, the kind trying to limit civil liberties on many fronts, don't care about the facts. No matter how carefully documented the opposition, they simply ignore and dismiss it. Until a larger portion of the electorate comes to value the facts enough to vote out politicians who don't, not much will change.

This account also shows how disingenuous Republican politicans are on the whole "states' rights" issue. They opposed Roe on the grounds that it took the decision out of the hands of the states (as it should have), but are quite willing to take the decision to permit abortion out of the hands of states by passing a national prohibition. Hypocrites.