• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yes. Apparently Hutchinson did meet with trans families/kids and with medical providers over the weekend, before choosing to veto the bill with good-sounding words. I would hope that he was being honest about his conviction that the bill was bad for trans families and bad for his state in many ways -- but considering the circumstances and the political climate, forgive me for still possessing some skepticism.

Same. I think it was just window dressing - he knew it would be vetoed. He knew the ACLU would immediately challenge this in court too. It's all the same means to the SCOTUS end along with Roe vs Wade and Obergefell v. Hodges. The march of right wing authoritarianism.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Same. I think it was just window dressing - he knew it would be vetoed. He knew the ACLU would immediately challenge this in court too. It's all the same means to the SCOTUS end along with Roe vs Wade and Obergefell v. Hodges. The march of right wing authoritarianism.

yeah, I don't like the complacency once OvH occurred. It was a big issue too -- a lot of the funding fell away from LG folks (on the LGBT spectrum) once same-sex marriage was confirmed, because they assumed the battle was done, while trans people were like, "uh, this isn't all over, you know." And now look where we are.

You can't rely on anything being set in stone, typically, especially with adversaries who have shown they will stop at nothing and even dismantle the democratic processes that exist.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
yeah, I don't like the complacency once OvH occurred. It was a big issue too -- a lot of the funding fell away from LG folks (on the LGBT spectrum) once same-sex marriage was confirmed, because they assumed the battle was done, while trans people were like, "uh, this isn't all over, you know." And now look where we are.

You can't rely on anything being set in stone, typically, especially with adversaries who have shown they will stop at nothing and even dismantle the democratic processes that exist.

Including Constitutional amendments. I don't think people generally understand that these SCOTUS decisions all fall under the 14th Amendment and it's heavily litigated. Republicans will do all they can to repeal it (yes the 14th Amendment) via the courts and legislature (after all it's a Reconstruction amendment). I can say a lot about the Democrats and I do but nothing compares to what Republics are doing and will do when they don't get their way. And yeah, you stand up to be counted with them and vote for them, you are helping destroy the rights of all Americans. Eventually including their own.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

He's not wrong. I would rather see MLB pour millions into those groups that delivered the election for GA and funding more progressive Dem races than this. Corporate wokeness is the worst.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Just as I said: New rules in Georgia could really backfire country wide.
Since some elements in that law are simply over the line.

However if the state goes blue again "someone" has a problem. Since that really makes the path harder in 2024.
Plus in combination with NC that is also close Georgia can replace rust belt if it goes red.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just find it amusing that I'm going to be hearing a lot of whining about MLB this summer. It's kind of hilarious to watch. You know you've drifted into extremism when BASEBALL isn't willing to put up with your nonsense. I feel like pro sports are probably a good reflection of what the center viewpoint in this country actually is (I mean the White Sox are basically the thing that unites the family on my mother's side together). And now I'm going to hear a lot of attempts to paint them as SJW crusaders or communists or "antifa" or whatever. Like no, they're a big business who didn't think it would hurt their bottom line to move the All-Star game, and they're probably right. For all the whining about I don't see my Republican family members giving up baseball (baseball is a big deal in this town because of the Sox/Cubs rivalry)l. It's got to be a major crisis of faith for them. I have a hard time seeing any boycott of baseball being successful; this likely preceded any interest in politics for folks.

Also, MLB is getting lots of publicity out of this.

Basically if I see all my relatives this summer, I'm going to have some fun trolling (which they try to do to me, unsuccessfully) so it's only fair. "gee I'm really into baseball this year for some reason" . I should note that naturally some of them don't believe in getting the vaccine (because George Soros made it up or something after fabricating the virus to make Trump look bad), but I'd have been vaccinated by that time.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just as I said: New rules in Georgia could really backfire country wide.
Since some elements in that law are simply over the line.

However if the state goes blue again "someone" has a problem. Since that really makes the path harder in 2024.
Plus in combination with NC that is also close Georgia can replace rust belt if it goes red.

I don't think it would be wise to repeat Hillary's "path to victory" as a strategy, though. I realize that's probably not what you're saying, but everything about the way she ran her campaign made me really angry that I'm probably going to react a little irrationally. I held my nose and voted for her (like I did for Biden) and she couldn't deliver. I think presidential candidates should play it conservatively rather than pouring a lot of resources into trying to win Texas or whatever because the opposition is so unqualified you don't have to worry about states that went for your party in the past even though polling aggregators indicate trouble there(of course if you're surrounded by brownnosers, they probably won't tell you that).

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I don't think it would be wise to repeat Hillary's "path to victory" as a strategy, though. I realize that's probably not what you're saying, but everything about the way she ran her campaign made me really angry that I'm probably going to react a little irrationally. I held my nose and voted for her (like I did for Biden) and she couldn't deliver. I think presidential candidates should play it conservatively rather than pouring a lot of resources into trying to win Texas or whatever because the opposition is so unqualified you don't have to worry about states that went for your party in the past even though polling aggregators indicate trouble there(of course if you're surrounded by brownnosers, they probably won't tell you that).

Of course not. However path really matters when you have candidates that are equality good or equally bad (or equally known to the public).
In other words she lost because of complete deficit of substance in the campaign, from one side. While on the other hand she gambled away her path (which was obviously going through the rust belt).
So yeah, the states that aren't solid and in which the other guy is campaigning shouldn't be taken for granted.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
To clarify:

Just because some state leans to the other guy that may not mean that it can't be a part of your path (if you really need it). In other words if you have genuine and correct information that the place could flip it makes sense to be aggressive but focused in this regard. Since doing this with multiple states is probably a bad idea. However what happened in Georgia seems to be an educated guess and that led to two senate races as we know them. What in the end leads to cards on the table as we currently have. What wouldn't be possible if someone didn't make a move in Georgia. Therefore it all comes down to having an educated guess about the state and is it vulnerable. Just throwing money at the states without substance evidently wouldn't get you far. However if there is substance you can sometimes make a bold move if you know that your own leaning states are generally under control. But sometimes counter attack is also the right way to go. When you know that you can't do or promise more to states that lean towards you it can be wise to attack somewhere where you aren't expected but you still have a shot. However you must respect your path: which has to end above 270 and it has to be realistic (plus it has to be as solid as possible).

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
He's not wrong. I would rather see MLB pour millions into those groups that delivered the election for GA and funding more progressive Dem races than this. Corporate wokeness is the worst.

Its like watching a hill giant try to work out human emotions by eating people.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I just find it amusing that I'm going to be hearing a lot of whining about MLB this summer. It's kind of hilarious to watch. You know you've drifted into extremism when BASEBALL isn't willing to put up with your nonsense. I feel like pro sports are probably a good reflection of what the center viewpoint in this country actually is (I mean the White Sox are basically the thing that unites the family on my mother's side together). And now I'm going to hear a lot of attempts to paint them as SJW crusaders or communists or "antifa" or whatever. Like no, they're a big business who didn't think it would hurt their bottom line to move the All-Star game, and they're probably right. For all the whining about I don't see my Republican family members giving up baseball (baseball is a big deal in this town because of the Sox/Cubs rivalry)l. It's got to be a major crisis of faith for them. I have a hard time seeing any boycott of baseball being successful; this likely preceded any interest in politics for folks.

Also, MLB is getting lots of publicity out of this.

Basically if I see all my relatives this summer, I'm going to have some fun trolling (which they try to do to me, unsuccessfully) so it's only fair. "gee I'm really into baseball this year for some reason" . I should note that naturally some of them don't believe in getting the vaccine (because George Soros made it up or something after fabricating the virus to make Trump look bad), but I'd have been vaccinated by that time.

Wear a tshirt around them that says Home run! without comment. It'll eat at them.