• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Not surprising. I don't think think any of those films was asked for, they were all underwhelming, and Disney dumped way too much money into those budgets assuming they'd get a pre-COVID / pre-streaming audience size.

You can't really do that with subpar films anymore.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

English actor Bernard Hill, best known for roles in Titanic and The Lord of the Rings, died on Sunday. He was 79.

Hill's agent, Lou Coulson, confirmed his death to the BBC.

Hill's acting career spanned over 50 years both onscreen and on-stage. His latest role aired Sunday as the main character's father in the BBC show The Responder.

Lindsay Salt, the director of BBC drama, described Hill as a one-of-a-kind actor.

"His long-lasting career filled with iconic and remarkable roles is a testament to his incredible talent," Salt said in a statement.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The "Lost" Gunslinger film (1980) directed by Steve Spielberg

More of this bullshit. I don't mind if people are really clear in the packaging that it's all bullshit, but it's getting really old now for people to post this AI crap on YouTube and you can look at all the response of people who actually believe it was real. The guy comes clean in the last minute of his video at least -- but you can tell all the dipshits who didn't bother to watch the video through. Our world is SO rife with misinformation, and this isn't even egregious compared to all the spins (AI and otherwise) on matters of social and political importance that actually impact people's lives. Who can tell what is real anymore? We used to fear The Matrix as a fantasy land springing up around us, but no -- we just live amid a web of falsified information where it is difficult to sift out fact vs fiction. Even our physical reality, once it leaves our direct influence, becomes amorphous and hard to discern.

The Gunslinger book did not publish until 1982. Maybe a few of the short stories in it released in magazines before then. Note that The Shining did not even release until 1980. Carrie had released earlier but were the only two films based on King works. Spielberg was off doing his own thing. he had gotten Jaws and Close Encounters out, but was working on Indiana Jones (and 1942 had come out in 1949 and is not among his most memorable works).

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The "Lost" Gunslinger film (1980) directed by Steve Spielberg

More of this bullshit. I don't mind if people are really clear in the packaging that it's all bullshit, but it's getting really old now for people to post this AI crap on YouTube and you can look at all the response of people who actually believe it was real. The guy comes clean in the last minute of his video at least -- but you can tell all the dipshits who didn't bother to watch the video through. Our world is SO rife with misinformation, and this isn't even egregious compared to all the spins (AI and otherwise) on matters of social and political importance that actually impact people's lives. Who can tell what is real anymore? We used to fear The Matrix as a fantasy land springing up around us, but no -- we just live amid a web of falsified information where it is difficult to sift out fact vs fiction.

The Gunslinger book did not publish until 1982. Maybe a few of the short stories in it released in magazines before then. Note that The Shining did not even release until 1980. Carrie had released earlier but were the only two films based on King works. Spielberg was off doing his own thing. he had gotten Jaws and Close Encounters out, but was working on Indiana Jones (and 1942 had come out in 1949 and is not among his most memorable works).

Oh, that's misleading, akin to annoying fan trailers for highly anticipated films.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Oh what a wonderful day. Is gonna be this summer's This is Sparta.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like his number 1 Pick especially.
Yeah, that's been on my list for a long time to view, I really need to watch it. I have seen the huge majority of those films otherwise, now I want to watch a few again.

The Cat

Staff member
Yeah, that's been on my list for a long time to view, I really need to watch it. I have seen the huge majority of those films otherwise, now I want to watch a few again.
I saw this movie because it was mentioned in the movie Who is Cletus Toubt, which I saw in the military. I finally watched it when it came on TCM, I was not prepared for how good it was. Sometimes I imagine this movie as a cowboy bebop style anime and I think it would be really cool. Same story could take place in a cyberpunk fantasy world pretty well i think.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty much indifferent to any further MCU things happening at this point, and my expectations are rather low.

These might be the only two things I find of interest recently:

1715386432511.png

1715386491919.png

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
this is overall a pretty decent list.

I remember when Don't Say A Word came out, and the trailers featuring Brittany Murphy (RIP) singing "I'll never tell" were frequently aired. I remember somebody quoting that in high school, and me thinking it was extremely funny.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

My own predictions of the movies mentioned as to what will end up better viewed:

Definitely
Babylon
The Counselor
Possessor

Maybe
Tenet
The Matrix Resurrections
Under the Silver Lake

No
Glass

Not sure
Annette
Marie Antoinette
Cabin Fever

My definitely column includes films that at their full length were actually good.

--

Possessor is awesome, I loved this film; but it feels kind of on a level with Mandy, you really have to grasp what it's doing and be in sync with it. I was surprised to see it mentioned as a bad film.

--

Babylon's flaw is being too long; having a kind of unearned/over-saccharine ending; and having an outrageous moment or two early in the film (like the shitting elephant) that could potentially immediately drive people away. But I thought the party itself that follows was just stunning with the camera work and music, Margot Robbie just owns this film. And all the bits are just really well-done and fascinating. Again, it's just too long I think overall.

--

Personally, I think Glass is always shit, because Shyamalan is just too in love with himself as a director. He's like the Emperor in his "new clothes" (where clothes = his creative and directing skill), where he thinks he's dashing and scintillating, but he's just boring and naked. This is a film where he badly needed someone to tell him what a terrible idea it was and either to change a lot of his story plans OR just drop the film entirely.

The first 15 minutes of the film actually feels like a step down from both Unbreakable and Split, it's not written or directed well (the camera angles aren't good, there's no tension, etc), and the entire plot just kind of is flat. You can talk all you want about how shocking and provocative it would be if Superman II (the first film after Superman's origin/establishing story) had basically been Superman being tied up for the film and drowning in a puddle at the end before he even has a real career on screen, but... yeah, dumb huh? This has got to be the dumbest ending to a trilogy I've ever seen, just poorly conceived and paced -- and all to just introduce another secret faction we've never heard of and that will never be followed up on. It was like pissing the film budget right down the toilet with nothing worthwhile to show.

--

I did not really like Under the Silver Lake -- I only got about half an hour in -- but so many people have spoken so highly of it, I'm willing to acknowledge maybe it doesn't work for me but could be a worthwhile film.

--

Cabin Fever is just crazy/grotesque body horror by Eli Goth, but I think for its genre (of people being slagged by an infectious disease) despite being rather low-budget, it does exactly what you'd expect it to do, and it's pretty unsettling. If there's an interest in that, then sure.

---

And then we've got The Matrix Resurrections -- which I think is ridiculed because it did not follow properly in the footsteps of the first three films. It is best viewed as an "epilogue" film exploring the nature of Neo and Trinity and is kind of a love letter to them, rather than a true action picture.

It's kind of like what you'd expect if Tolkien had written a book after "The Return of the King" about Aragorn and Arwen's relationship -- no great evil out there, no major battles, just their relationship, their love for each other, and both wrestling with what it will mean when Aragorn ages enough and finally passes on. Even if there is a semi-action plot going on, it wouldn't be the focus.

In fact, now that my mind has slipped into the fantasy genre, "The Matrix Resurrections" reminds me (in terms of the feeling) SO MUCH of Ursula Le Guin's book "Tehanu," which is essentially the "fourth" Earthsea book... but not at all like the first three, which are about Ged's origin story, his prime of life heroic tale (restoring the broken armlet + rescuing Tenar), and then the last story of his career where he shuts the gate to the land of the dead at the expense of his power. It dares to consider "what comes next" and it amounts to both Ged and Tenar, now old "normal" people, building a new life together on Gont and while dealing with a new threat, neither really having power (so no heroic fantasy) and how they bear up under it. It's really just laser-focused on them and their relationship and who they are as people. It's very lovely but feels very different in some ways from the first three.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

My own predictions of the movies mentioned as to what will end up better viewed:

Definitely
Babylon
The Counselor
Possessor

Maybe
Tenet
The Matrix Resurrections
Under the Silver Lake

No
Glass

Not sure
Annette
Marie Antoinette
Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever is just crazy/grotesque body horror by Eli Goth, but I think for its genre (of people being slagged by an infectious disease) despite being rather low-budget, it does exactly what you'd expect it to do, and it's pretty unsettling. If there's an interest in that, then sure.

---
I thought Cabin Fever had an off beat sense of humor that I enjoyed. Like the kid saying "PANCAKES!" as he's doing a flying kick. Or the random guy in the rabbit suit in the hospital, which I guess is an homage to The Shining. I haven't seen any of Roth's other movies, but I enjoyed that one.

And then we've got The Matrix Resurrections -- which I think is ridiculed because it did not follow properly in the footsteps of the first three films. It is best viewed as an "epilogue" film exploring the nature of Neo and Trinity and is kind of a love letter to them, rather than a true action picture.

It's kind of like what you'd expect if Tolkien had written a book after "The Return of the King" about Aragorn and Arwen's relationship -- no great evil out there, no major battles, just their relationship, their love for each other, and both wrestling with what it will mean when Aragorn ages enough and finally passes on. Even if there is a semi-action plot going on, it wouldn't be the focus.

In fact, now that my mind has slipped into the fantasy genre, "The Matrix Resurrections" reminds me (in terms of the feeling) SO MUCH of Ursula Le Guin's book "Tehanu," which is essentially the "fourth" Earthsea book... but not at all like the first three, which are about Ged's origin story, his prime of life heroic tale (restoring the broken armlet + rescuing Tenar), and then the last story of his career where he shuts the gate to the land of the dead at the expense of his power. It dares to consider "what comes next" and it amounts to both Ged and Tenar, now old "normal" people, building a new life together on Gont and while dealing with a new threat, neither really having power (so no heroic fantasy) and how they bear up under it. It's really just laser-focused on them and their relationship and who they are as people. It's very lovely but feels very different in some ways from the first three.

I liked this movie, while conceding that it's not up to the first or even second movie.

1. The Analyst is a great villain, and I enjoyed seeing him get his comeuppance. He understands what humans are feeling, but that makes him more dangerous and nefarious.
  2. It doesn't do the thing so many sequels do, which is blow the victories of the heroes up so they can do something that requires less imagination. I hate this. I think you can have a sequel without doing this, it just requires imagination. I appreciated getting to witness what humans and machines working together looked like, and I thought how that was done was pretty imaginatively. This also provides a sense of progress, rather than the sense that everything is cyclical (because there's money to be made here).
  3. I liked the love story aspect of it. Again, that ending was dope.
  4. The metatextual stuff was kind of fun.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked this movie, while conceding that it's not up to the first or even second movie.

1. The Analyst is a great villain, and I enjoyed seeing him get his comeuppance. He understands what humans are feeling, but that makes him more dangerous and nefarious.
  2. It doesn't do the thing so many sequels do, which is blow the victories of the heroes up so they can do something that requires less imagination. I hate this. I think you can have a sequel without doing this, it just requires imagination. I appreciated getting to witness what humans and machines working together looked like, and I thought how that was done was pretty imaginatively. This also provides a sense of progress, rather than the sense that everything is cyclical (because there's money to be made here).
  3. I liked the love story aspect of it. Again, that ending was dope.
  4. The metatextual stuff was kind of fun.
I just rewatched it. I think it gets better as it goes. I really like seeing the impact of 60 years of change and how some of the machines have freed themselves and joined the humans. I think the nannite swarms (to allow software to interact in the real world) are pretty dope. And, yeah, it doesn't really reset the victories like you've mentioned. Things change over time, but they are in a different better place than they were originally at least. There's a lot of subtext in this film about our own culture and history, and one point driven home is that each generation has its own wars to fight and a victory won at one stage isn't going to remain forever; each generation needs to fight to preserve what has been won in the past. There is nothing static. Maybe Niobe and Neo and Trinity are old(er) now, and their victories mattered, but there are still younger generations inspired by those stories and heroisms, and they have their own battles to fight.

I really like the whole ending too. It has a good way of bringing out the feels already developed between Neo and Trinity; I think their original love story felt kind of silly or melodramatic at times, but this really feels like more mature love between older people who are deeply connected.

I'm still not keen on Reeves' line delivery skills (ugh), but Carrie-Anne Moss is as amazing as always. She delivers her lines with such finesse and realism and compensates for the film's other issues.

also, I will always be happy to see more of Trinity riding motorcycles.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just rewatched it. I think it gets better as it goes. I really like seeing the impact of 60 years of change and how some of the machines have freed themselves and joined the humans. I think the nannite swarms (to allow software to interact in the real world) are pretty dope. And, yeah, it doesn't really reset the victories like you've mentioned. Things change over time, but they are in a different better place than they were originally at least. There's a lot of subtext in this film about our own culture and history, and one point driven home is that each generation has its own wars to fight and a victory won at one stage isn't going to remain forever; each generation needs to fight to preserve what has been won in the past. There is nothing static. Maybe Niobe and Neo and Trinity are old(er) now, and their victories mattered, but there are still younger generations inspired by those stories and heroisms, and they have their own battles to fight.

I like that. I don't there's anything wrong with a passing of the torch.

I really like the whole ending too. It has a good way of bringing out the feels already developed between Neo and Trinity; I think their original love story felt kind of silly or melodramatic at times, but this really feels like more mature love between older people who are deeply connected.

I'm still not keen on Reeves' line delivery skills (ugh), but Carrie-Anne Moss is as amazing as always. She delivers her lines with such finesse and realism and compensates for the film's other issues.

also, I will always be happy to see more of Trinity riding motorcycles.
I remember watching the original film when I was 14 years old and thinking Trinity was so cool, lol.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like that. I don't there's anything wrong with a passing of the torch.
Kinda wondering where they will go with the new one, that Drew Goddard is doing. Not sure if it is a prequel or sequel or just a universe story.

I remember watching the original film when I was 14 years old and thinking Trinity was so cool, lol.
I loved her so much, she was my favorite.

It really vaulted Carrie-Anne Moss' career too. She had done some TV bits + a number of B films, but once everyone saw her in The Matrix, her career really took off. She is a natural in front of the camera with her line deliveries and has a great limber athletic build and carries herself so well.

In Christopher Nolan's neo-noir psychological thriller Memento, she portrayed a manipulative bartender who meets a man suffering from anterograde amnesia. Producer Jennifer Todd suggested Moss for the part after being impressed by her performance in The Matrix. Nolan decided to cast Moss as Natalie, saying, "She added an enormous amount to the role of Natalie that wasn't on the page".[11]
One thing I really liked about her in Memento (which was the next thing I had seen her in) was that she's a survivor/victim like Leonard but she isn't actually "nice." She's kinda shady and manipulative, the degree of which you realize as the film scrolls backwards. She's got just the right amount of edge vs tolerance to remain mostly sympathetic, but Moss really makes her seem real because of her mixed morality.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Kinda wondering where they will go with the new one, that Drew Goddard is doing. Not sure if it is a prequel or sequel or just a universe story.
I hadn't heard of that until you looked it up.
I loved her so much, she was my favorite.

It really vaulted Carrie-Anne Moss' career too. She had done some TV bits + a number of B films, but once everyone saw her in The Matrix, her career really took off. She is a natural in front of the camera with her line deliveries and has a great limber athletic build and carries herself so well.

One thing I really liked about her in Memento (which was the next thing I had seen her in) was that she's a survivor/victim like Leonard but she isn't actually "nice." She's kinda shady and manipulative, the degree of which you realize as the film scrolls backwards. She's got just the right amount of edge vs tolerance to remain mostly sympathetic, but Moss really makes her seem real because of her mixed morality.
I haven't seen Momento in a long time and there's a lot I don't remember from it. I remember Joe Pantoliano's character in that was very different from Cipher.

I also liked Carrie Anne Moss in this forgotten sci-fi movie called Red Planet, which I'm not sure anyone else had ever seen. I remember enjoying the movie but I don't remember a ton about it.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Because I posted Positively 4th Street, which is Bob Dylan venting his frustrations regarding his time in the New York City folk scene (a diss track, if you will), I decided to watch Inside Llewyn Davis. I've been wanting to watch this since it came out.

I found it a little slow. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention to Oscar Isaac's face. I thought Adam Driver and John Goodman were funny. I liked the way they captured that urban winter atmosphere. I was filled with joy most of the time the cat was on screen, and I was happy when he returned and Llewyn decided to adopt him. Otherwise, I had a hard time feeling engaged with what was going on. I'm sure others will feel differently but I was a little disappointed by this.

I read essays analyzing this movie back when it first came out, and that lead me to believe there would be a lot more meat here. There are 3 story threads: Oscar Isaac cat sitting, Oscar Isaac making a living as struggling folk musician, Oscar Isaac possibly being the father of another folk singer's baby. I was only invested in the cat story, because I like cats.

I would like to hear from someone who enjoyed it more and know what they got out of it.

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
I hadn't heard of that until you looked it up.

I haven't seen Momento in a long time and there's a lot I don't remember it. I remember Joe Pantoliano's character in that was very different from Cipher.

I also liked Carrie Anne Moss in this forgotten sci-fi movie called Red Planet, which I'm not sure anyone else had ever seen. I remember enjoying the movie but I don't remember a ton about it.
You and the main character will have a lot in common then. This is a movie that is fun to watch like that.
Watch the trailer and red planet all comes flooding back:
Do you remember Ghosts of Mars?