• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't care about the negative press. I'm seeing this. I think I was going to see it even before the trailer.

That's the two hour treatise on the socio-political aspects of urban planning and the dangers of populism disguised as a futuristic neo-Cecil-de-Mille Catiline conspiracy drama I heard about earlier today, right? The one Coppola had in the works for decades?

Quo usque tandem abutere, Francis, patientia nostra?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's the two hour treatise on the socio-political aspects of urban planning and the dangers of populism disguised as a futuristic neo-Cecil-de-Mille Catiline conspiracy drama I heard about earlier today, right? The one Coppola had in the works for decades?

Quo usque tandem abutere, Francis, patientia nostra?
Yes. It's entirely possible the negative attention could in fact be that it's actually very good. At any rate, I need to see for myself with this one, even if it does turn out to be terrible.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1000005268.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dammit. I came into this pretty steely and cynical and ended up crying by the end, because it's hitting a lot of the right story beats. How ...annoying.

Basically, the trailer at least gets the story core right -- it's really about two women are total opposites, and even pitted against each other at first, who against all expectations end up becoming best friends (albeit through a rocky ride at times).

Glinda is the child of expectation and the popular one, who is chagrinned to realize the gloomy loner/outside is more talented than her and favored by the Wizard instead. Elphaba disdains a lot of what Glinda seems to be about, while at the same time Glinda has some of what Elphaba needs to be effective. But it is the story of matched opposites, because they both become better people by learning from each other.

The Wizard has no actual magic power, just his wits and reputation, but when he tries to utilize Elphaba, she sees right through him to his lack of moral core and violently rejects him (even though he has everything she thought she wanted, to be successful in life) -- so he turns on her and portrays her as the people's enemy.

I think what got me:

Fiero: She doesn't seem to care what anyone thinks.
Glinda: Of course she does. She just pretends not to.

It's the turning point in Glinda's attitude and vice versa, she just tried to undermine her socially but Elphaba's boldness makes her aspire to be better.

And then when the broom levitates (from the power of the book that only Elphaba can use):

Glinda: Don't be afraid.
Elphaba: I'm not afraid. It's the wizard who should be afraid of me.

(Erivo is so great -- her expression and voice is both a mixture of apprehension, she's afraid on some level, but also resoluteness -- however she feels, she is not backing down and any fear she has will not change her mind.)

Michelle Yeoh in yet another villainous role (Madame Morrible).

I am assuming the first part will end with the First Act ending (Defying Gravity).

Hopeful, maybe? Still not sure if Arianna Grande has the acting chops to really exude Glinda in her simple-looking complexity, but I guess we will find out. Glinda has to be obnoxious, yet sympathetic to the audience; she's a dichotomy of someone who looks shallow but has increasing depth over time, her polar qualities are often played for comic relief. You want to admire her despite her flawed nature by the end of the story, versus thinking she's a clueless fool or else overlook her flaws entirely.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
@Doctor Cringelord

Asking in general but I know you're the likely expert. Was she or wasn't she? I thought she was. As others in the Facebook comments suggested, that was the big joke.

View attachment 30585
I could have sworn she had braces and I had to go back and rewatch my Blu-ray to be sure. It seemed to be the whole point of the joke—metal mouth Jaws meeting a metal mouthed girl of his dreams. Nope. No braces. I think parallel universes are probably real but I don’t put any stock in mandela effect conspiracy theories—however, this one is a head scratcher and got me wondering. The only explanation I can imagine is that perhaps older, pre-HD era home video copies may have looked fuzzier and made Dolly appear to be wearing braces. I first watched this movie years ago on a VHS tapes from cable TV, so it was especially fuzzy—I wonder how many people that are remembering her with braces originally watched Moonraker on a smaller, older, pre-HD TV… unfortunately I no longer have my old Bond VHS but I’d love to see side-by-side screen captures of Dolly

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally watched Inside LLewyn Davis, this might be one of the Coen brothers' best films in terms of getting their trademark sardonic humor but on a very subtle level, along with some sadness/pathos around Davis struggling so hard to remain authentic and just not getting any decent breaks. (The film showcases him moving from one crazy/bad break to the next.) Davis is also pretty stressed or hasn't healed from some of the things that have happened in his pursuit of his craft, and at times he acts like a royal a-hole.

I knew Isaacs could sing back from his role in Sucker Punch, and he manages to carry this film forward musically too. The song "Please Mr. Kennedy" with him, Timberlake, and Driver is just the crazy kind of camp heard in music from time to time in that period. (I had to think about the Carpenters singing "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft.")

There is also the great story of a cat here. I have to add a prerequisite shot of Pyrrha, who was very curious about this cat on our TV; I didn't get the best shot I hoped for, but this is the gist and note they both have similar coloration:

1000005316.jpg

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Finally watched Inside LLewyn Davis, this might be one of the Coen brothers' best films in terms of getting their trademark sardonic humor but on a very subtle level, along with some sadness/pathos around Davis struggling so hard to remain authentic and just not getting any decent breaks. (The film showcases him moving from one crazy/bad break to the next.) Davis is also pretty stressed or hasn't healed from some of the things that have happened in his pursuit of his craft, and at times he acts like a royal a-hole.
Judging from your review, it seems like there's I wasn't paying enough attention to Oscar Isaac, and too much time looking at my phone. I was very distracted when I watched, and that's not a good way to watch anything. I think I missed much of what was going on, but I thought what happened to him in Chicago was particularly awful. Anyway, I suppose I need to rewatch this.

I knew Isaacs could sing back from his role in Sucker Punch, and he manages to carry this film forward musically too. The song "Please Mr. Kennedy" with him, Timberlake, and Driver is just the crazy kind of camp heard in music from time to time in that period. (I had to think about the Carpenters singing "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft.")

There is also the great story of a cat here. I have to add a prerequisite shot of Pyrrha, who was very curious about this cat on our TV; I didn't get the best shot I hoped for, but this is the gist and note they both have similar coloration:

View attachment 30634
Pyrrha looks more leonine.

My sister's cat looks somewhat like the cat in this movie, also. I think the face patterns were different.

Are there two red-haired cats in this movie or just one? He brings it to the family, and someone says "this is not our cat." Does this mean the cat that visits him in the apartment he's staying at is different?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pyrrha looks more leonine.
Yeah, it was more a domestic shorthair (DSH) in the film, whereas Pyrrha is pretty fluffy from being a Maine coon and in particular it's like she is wearing a ruffled shirt the way her white neck fur puffs out in every direction.

Are there two red-haired cats in this movie or just one? He brings it to the family, and someone says "this is not our cat." Does this mean the cat that visits him in the apartment he's staying at is different?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, it was more a domestic shorthair (DSH) in the film, whereas Pyrrha is pretty fluffy from being a Maine coon and in particular it's like she is wearing a ruffled shirt the way her white neck fur puffs out in every direction.

Isn't there a scene at the end where the cat climbs through the window and wakes Llewyn up, perhaps the female cat? Or is there some fun-with-timelines stuff going on here?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't there a scene at the end where the cat climbs through the window and wakes Llewyn up, perhaps the female cat? Or is there some fun-with-timelines stuff going on here?
I don't think there is.

But the first scene in the movie actually occurs at the end of the film timeline.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This could be a pretty great film, just based on director and cast.

Next up for Austin Butler, though, is the drama The Bikeriders, which premiered at the 50th Telluride Film Festival back in August 2023 to much critical acclaim. Written and directed by Jeff Nichols, who is known for crafting powerful dramas such as Take Shelter, Mud, Midnight Special, and Loving, The Bikeriders stars a stellar ensemble cast, including Jodie Comer (The Last Duel), Austin Butler (Elvis), Tom Hardy (Mad Max: Fury Road), Michael Shannon (The Shape of Water), Mike Faist (West Side Story), Boyd Holbrook (Logan), and Norman Reedus (The Walking Dead).

You can check out the official synopsis for The Bikeriders below.

“The Bikeriders follows the rise of a midwestern motorcycle club, the Vandals. Seen through the lives of its members, the club evolves over the course of a decade from a gathering place for local outsiders into a more sinister gang, threatening the original group’s unique way of life.”