• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched Jupiter Ascending so my son could see it -- he's trying to do a Wachowski thing before Matrix 4 comes out.

Yes, this movie took a lot of flak when it came out. However, it had a lot of potential and it's disappointing in how it failed. I see it as having a few basic problems that unfortunately undermine the whole film.

1. Uncertainty about what kind of film it is supposed to be. This is its largest issue. The actors themselves are at cross-purposes -- some are playing to one tone, and others are playing a different kind of film. Was it supposed to be a serious space epic or was it supposed to be a campy / quirky film not to be taken that seriously, despite a few serious ideas buried in it? There are obvious lines of dialogue that were supposed to be funny, but people deliver them straight. Even just seeing Tatum in dog ears should be a joke, not a serious point.

2. Casting / Direction of said cast. After rewatching this, I really think Mila Kunis belongs in the category of actress that "needs strong direction" to succeed. I feel like she got this very well in Black Swan, but here she was pretty much just tossed onto the sets. Channing Tatum might be another. He's actually had some strong performances dramatically (e.g., Foxcatcher + others) but you have to really get across what the intent is I think for him to invest. I feel like Eddie Redmayne was viewing the film more as camp and his performance (if viewed dramatically) will scan as silly but in the vein of a campy movie is spot on... he followed his instincts.

3. Dialogue that really punches up what the intent was. My son and I were cracking jokes during the film about what the dialogue SHOULD have been, to accentuate the comedy. If they had had the courage to really play into the silliness of things, you can walk a line that is both silly and magnificent in its opulence. The Wachowskis just never got to rework the script to be at its best or maybe they weren't as committed to a tone as they needed to be. The bad scores from audience comes from portraying silly ideas or lines of dialogue in a way that seems they are supposed to be taken seriously -- so they automatically fail to be taken seriously. This could have been a midnight-showing cult film for years to come if they had really doubled down on the Silly Quotient.

4. Lack of Agency for the Protagonist. Jupiter is a wet noodle through the entire film, almost. She has no agency and is just bounced from one scene to the next, confused and with no personal direction. She finally shows a bit of spine at the very end of the film, smashing an iPad on the ground and groining / beating Eddie Redmayne with a pipe, but otherwise she's just completely uninteresting, confused, and powerless. It's almost hard to believe this is a Wachowski film, with the lack of agency for its female lead.

I think I would have liked the whole film more if it had been in vein of the credentials scene, where Jupiter is assigned a representative (Advocate Bob -- even the name is silly), and Samuel Barnett perfectly nails his role as the advocate. At first you can tell he's ecstatic to be given this assignment and he believes it's a big opportunity to prove himself. Then as he is slowly dragged through the bureaucratic ringer, he is trying to maintain his cheerfulness on the surface while becoming increasingly frustrated with the process and about ready to lose his shit. Finally he becomes cynical and starts bribing people, all while pretending (transparently) to be on the level. When he succeeds eventually, he is beaming like a cherub at his success. it's a great comedic performance and totally conveys what could have been done with better direction. (Of course, capping it with Terry Gilliam playing an eccentric old tinkering troll of a man is a perfect ending.) They should have tinkered with the dialogue by making more lines actually pretty silly / over the top and directed the actors so that they'd be in on the joke.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
4. Lack of Agency for the Protagonist. Jupiter is a wet noodle through the entire film, almost. She has no agency and is just bounced from one scene to the next, confused and with no personal direction. She finally shows a bit of spine at the very end of the film, smashing an iPad on the ground and groining / beating Eddie Redmayne with a pipe, but otherwise she's just completely uninteresting, confused, and powerless. It's almost hard to believe this is a Wachowski film, with the lack of agency for its female lead.

This is probably the biggest flaw in the movie. You hit the nail on the head here.

I think I would have liked the whole film more if it had been in vein of the credentials scene, where Jupiter is assigned a representative (Advocate Bob -- even the name is silly), and Samuel Barnett perfectly nails his role as the advocate. At first you can tell he's ecstatic to be given this assignment and he believes it's a big opportunity to prove himself. Then as he is slowly dragged through the bureaucratic ringer, he is trying to maintain his cheerfulness on the surface while becoming increasingly frustrated with the process and about ready to lose his shit. Finally he becomes cynical and starts bribing people, all while pretending (transparently) to be on the level. When he succeeds eventually, he is beaming like a cherub at his success. it's a great comedic performance and totally conveys what could have been done with better direction. (Of course, capping it with Terry Gilliam playing an eccentric old tinkering troll of a man is a perfect ending.) They should have tinkered with the dialogue by making more lines actually pretty silly / over the top and directed the actors so that they'd be in on the joke.
Yeah, that bit with navigating the bureaucracy was easily the best scene in the movie.

Hellena Handbasket

Daywalker
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Having rewatched Avatar (Cameron) recently and then The Last Samurai again last night, I found some spots that I feel like Cameron watched in TLS before writing his Avatar script (since these films and a few others have similarities).
  • TLS: Just tell me one thing. What is it about your own people that you hate so much?
  • Avatar: Hey Sully... how does it feel to betray your own race? You think you're one of them?
Both films also use the self-journal device to deliver information, ending with the following:
  • TLS: May 25, 1877. This will be the last entry in this journal. I have tried to give a true accounting of what I have seen, what I have done. I do not presume to understand the course of my life. I know I am grateful to have partaken of this, even if for a moment.
  • Avatar: Well, uh, I guess this is my last video log. Because whatever happens tonight. Either way I'm... I'm not gonna be comin' back to this place. Well, I guess I better go. I don't wanna be late for my own party. It's my birthday, after all. This is Jake Sully signin' off
There's probably some other stuff too -- although I think at core they are very different. Algren is at best an assistance and an observer to the events of historical change, he's not really a "white savior" character and events would have unfolded in general the same with or without his own involvement. His own arc is that of a man damaged by the horrors he inflicted in war, looking for (and maybe eventually finding) peace. Meanwhile, Sully is much more of a "white savior" figure, he is a man who was victimized in war (his legs paralyzed) and then by his own society's lack of medical care, looking for liberation from his infirmity. The Navi open his eyes to beauty, but he also specifically takes on the role of their cultural hero to gain their support and eventually is deemed leader of a tribe he has only known for about 3-4 months after turning on his people. (Seriously, see that in perspective.) At least he's in a Navi body, but ... wow.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings -- this was enjoyable, and kind of cool to (1) have martial arts enter the Marvel Universe to this degree and (2) there were sections of film in Chinese with English subtitles... yay! I think the funner action sequences were earlier in the film (like the bus fight and then the scaffolding fight). They redesigned Shang-Chi's dad from the comics to be a more well-rounded character who isn't completely villainous per se. Awkwafina was fine, i'm not even sure what some people were getting worked up about -- she just sounded like an average person to me. I wish Michelle Yeoh had had more to do, but she was more an old-timer mentoring the young ones here. There were a few cameos or small supporting parts that I enjoyed seeing.

Overall, it's not really a film I feel like rewatching much if at all, I didn't really feel much intensity of emotion, etc. But it's a worthy inclusion into the MCU canon and sets up more of the current Phase. I like how they have now managed to pull in a bunch of smaller books (like, with Moon Knight coming out at some point). These are all people who aren't really thought of first, and it's nice they are able to explore the properties. Also, the totally Asian slant on the film was cool.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings -- this was enjoyable, and kind of cool to (1) have martial arts enter the Marvel Universe to this degree and (2) there were sections of film in Chinese with English subtitles... yay! I think the funner action sequences were earlier in the film (like the bus fight and then the scaffolding fight). They redesigned Shang-Chi's dad from the comics to be a more well-rounded character who isn't completely villainous per se. Awkwafina was fine, i'm not even sure what some people were getting worked up about -- she just sounded like an average person to me. I wish Michelle Yeoh had had more to do, but she was more an old-timer mentoring the young ones here. There were a few cameos or small supporting parts that I enjoyed seeing.

Overall, it's not really a film I feel like rewatching much if at all, I didn't really feel much intensity of emotion, etc. But it's a worthy inclusion into the MCU canon and sets up more of the current Phase. I like how they have now managed to pull in a bunch of smaller books (like, with Moon Knight coming out at some point). These are all people who aren't really thought of first, and it's nice they are able to explore the properties. Also, the totally Asian slant on the film was cool.
I'll be curious to know what you think about the Eternals. I've even heard people who are passionate about Marvel Comics say that the Eternals always sucked and that they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll be curious to know what you think about the Eternals. I've even heard people who are passionate about Marvel Comics say that the Eternals always sucked and that they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this.
I'll be glad to comment but I likely won't see it in the theater. I'm not attached to the characters and just don't care much. I also had the post-credit scenes spoiled for me from random headlines (the characters described don't surprise me -- although I think it's cool they are now officially in the MCU), so no reason to go for that either.

I have read a fair amount of non-spoiler stuff about the films. I have no real idea what to make of it or its quality. I can't tell if the judgments are based on false or true assumptions about the film or what exactly.

Here's a non spoiler: Thanos had the Deviant gene. That's why he was purple and somewhat grotesque looking. His family were Eternals and looked regular. I guess this is one reason they wanted to do the Eternals film?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Got to watch Paranorman with my son (who hadn't yet seen it) yesterday, which was a pleasure. Laika has put out some decent films in its still growing backlist now, pretty much starting with Coraline and Paranorman. I wish Disney and Pixar (now even officially under the same roof) wouldn't just have an automatic stranglehold on recognition simply because they over-saturation the marketing channels and can drive their content into everyone's mind.

Brave ended up winning the animated Oscar that year, but critically it was a notable drop in quality for Pixar. Animation-wise about the best thing about it was the hair animation, but story and humor-wise it was pretty thin and I'm not sure how effective dramatically the main arc worked. It also just felt like a buy-in to the popular social tropes without really contributing anything new.

I have seen both Paranormana and Brave multiple times, and the Laika film is the only one I walk away with having learned something about humanity and also feeling like the characters were authentic. It's a hard film in terms of the ideas it presents, and gets into the nitty gritty. It starts out with the plot suggesting one thing but turns that on its head, to show how abuse of power can impact everyone involved and lead to further escalation without resolving anything at core. Brave doesn't really generate any tears but Paranorman is particularly touching in a few spots. My son says, "huh, they're talking actually like kids talk." Yeah.

Along with that, it's all stop-motion, and the camera direction is pretty incredible when you realize what you're looking at. Even directed as live action, the camera work is creative and top-notch. It only hits you when you step back from certain scenes (like the graveyard sunset shot) and realize everything in that scene was crafted by hand and exists as a model.

I was a little annoyed too how Kubo got stiffed because Zootopia happened to come out that year -- although I see Zootopia as a higher-quality film dealing with an important theme, at least. Laika I think has only gotten two major wins (Golden Globe, for "Missing Link" out of all things... not a bad film, but not one of their most resonant) and then a BAFTA for Kubo.

---

We also rewatched Cloud Atlas. The restructuring of the story and the massive editing (both from the perspective of cutting the film AND on the pre-writing side, to storyboard and interweave the six narratives for largest impact) is maybe the most spectacular element of the film. I was a little concerned about music for Matrix Resurrections next month, with Don David not coming back, but Tykwer and Klimek also handled music for Cloud Atlas and it was reassuring that they can evoke something in M4.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, I *finally* watched Hard Candy (2005) since it came up in convo earlier in the week, and it was free on Amazon Prime. Just.. whoa.

I had seen Elliot Page in Juno (2007) but not here. He was really good in this film -- projecting an aura of callousness while at the same time somehow remaining likable. I actually was laughing out loud through much of the film simply due to the outrageousness of the plotting and dialogue, while at the same time feeling kinda cringey about everything that was happening. Like, every time you think the film might make you more uncomfortable, it ratchets the plot and dialogue up another notch.

I heard there is a twist. I'm not sure what it is, unless it's the part about what does and doesn't happen (in the middle of the film). the ending itself wasn't shocking to me, it was exactly how I thought it would play out. But damn.

Again, Page's callous responses coupled with Wilson's ridiculous strategies to winning reprieves was what was darkly funny but also what was so cringey about it. The direction is interesting at times. I think it's a bit better than the sum of its parts, due to the craziness of the plotting and the acting of the two leads.

Sandra Oh has a cameo, go figure.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched Pig last night. Loved it. Amazing that it's a first-time director/writer film, it's beautifully crafted and never quite goes the direction one might expect esp with Nicholas Cage. Cage is pretty amazing here dramatically, but Alex Wolff (who I feel dumb about not recognizing until afterwards) keeps pace with him with a very different character, and even the minor roles were well-acted. It doesn't play like a first-time effort at all, is well-paced for the story being told, and resonates deeply. It never treats the audience as dumb and often will dole out bits of information that your brain slowly is putting together to understand the back stories for the characters. Even the closing credit cover song might be better than the original.

The pig is also an excellent actor and personable in front of the camera.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sharing great American cinema with my son -- watched THe Bourne Supremacy (ha ha) yesterday with him, he hadn't seen it. It feels like a one-off, along with removing a main character from the story early on it also is disconnected from the first film plot / feels like a side quest of sorts, although it does bring Jason back into play and sets him up for the third film. I still am torn between the filming/editing on jiggly hand-held, it's near unwatchable for me but just skirts that line of barely being able to understand what's going on in the action sequences. Obviously it's purposeful and not just "bad editing," which redeems it a bit -- it was done for a purpose, mainly to propel the film kinetically and feel almost out of control -- but there's a line between "heart-pumping action" and visual intelligibility. This film is almost literally all plot, things just happen and happen and happen, people keep bantering without pause, and there's very little room to breathe so that it is noticeable when the camera lingers for 5-6 seconds on someone after a shocking event occurs. Out of the first three, it's perhaps the least (probably Ultimatum is the best since it offers all the payoffs and has a few shocking twists).

Tony Gilroy was a scripter on the first four Bourne films. I think where the first and fourth film shine the most is in terms of relational chemistry. Bourne's relationship with Marie (along with determining what happened to him) is key in the first film and provides a core. Likewise, the relationship between Rachel Weisz and Jeremy Renner's characters in the fourth film is my favorite aspect of the film. They are the two films that provide an endurable emotional core, versus just being pure plot.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also rewatched Fincher's Gone Girl last night again, which was scripted by Gillian Flynn (doing her own adaptation of her book).

I think on second viewing:
  • I understand why Carrie Coon was critical of her performance here. She's not bad, but she seems a bit green and overreacting / not comfortable in spots. You can see a noticeable difference in her ease in front of the camera and taking more time with lines in "The Leftovers" and other films she's been in later.
  • I think I originally did not connect with the characters well -- they felt superficial and unrelatable -- and now on second viewing I realize this might have been part of the plan. They get together originally because they both are attracted to each other's "costume" (for example, Amy tries to be the "cool girl" to be loved by Nick), but then the costumes fall apart in the name of reality and this is when their relationship tumbles and then the events of the story occurring. The ending of the story is a return to the costumes, but this time the agreement is explicit and they both understand it as a freedom (to present themselves as they want) but also a prison... at least it is for one of them. It's a rather sadistic resolution.
  • I think Neil Patrick Harris was miscast. He's done too many sarcastic / amusing things to have some of his line reads come off seriously, especially for a character with such excesses. On the other hand, Missy Pyle and Tyler Perry were well cast, for character types, and Kim Dickens is refreshing.
  • Flynn says she didn't base this on the Laci Peterson case, but it's clear she was acquainted with the case and borrowed some notable plot points. I agree the essence of the characters is different.
  • Not sure how I feel about, I don't think it's Fincher's top level of work -- other films have more of his stamp on them.

Speaking of that, I rewatched Se7en over the weekend after years of not seeing it. I don't care much for Kevin Spacy per se, and I have always found Pitt's detective to be annoying and almost one-note, but I get the gist that Mills has an effect on Somerset who is quitting because he feels jaded by all the awfulness of the world, and despite how the story ends up and Mills' particular shortcomings, the end of the film suggests Somerset is deciding to reengage rather than withdrawing from a nihilistic world. But otherwise the film is like a huge, "Yeah, I actually DO know how to make a film," by Fincher, after getting stuck with the Alien3 cleanup in aisle five... he basically throws down the gauntlet here by showing exactly what he can do. Shore's score might not have much recognizable theme to it (to hum along with), but it's brooding in all the right ways and builds the film finale uncomfortable to something very unsettling. No one will ever forget the first time they saw the Sloth sequence. Also, I think Christopher Nolan had seen this and pulled elements off into the middle of "Insomnia" which has something very similar between its detective and culprit back at the apartment. If any film completely reflects Fincher's abilities and attitudes in film making, it's this.... although I still need to complete watching Zodiac.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Been pretty surprised to see all the various kudos for West Side Story, esp with all the other older musicals falling flat or being average. Any reviews of the film (directed by Spielberg, weirdly) have been pretty stellar compared to expectation.