• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Watched "The Last Duel" (Ridley Scott), adapted from a book. I kinda missed what all the controversy was about when the film aired. It does involve a rape as a triggering event for what follows, but the film is very much slanted to support the woman's narrative (there are three narratives presented of the same events, and we receive hers last) and in fact felt kind of heavy-handed about her predicament in the final 30 minutes. The structure of the film means we get to see how one character's perception of events differs from another's.

the film is well-acted and directed and rather brutal in its depictions. Adam Driver takes a thankless role and totally invests. Matt Damon plays a rather simplistic thick-headed but also self-absorbed husband. Jodie Comer shines as Marguerite, and it sucks that she essentially trapped by all the men in her life -- a single-track husband more concerned about his own honor, a squire more her intellectual peer but who she instinctually finds untrustworthy and for good reason, a father who views her as a commodity, etc. Ben Affleck is the least interesting. It was fun seeing Alex Lawther briefly, although it all seems like a joke to his character.

The "duel" is pretty harrowing and brutal, and reflective also of there no being any real clean or simple dispatches. Pretty common to beat on an armored opponent with a sword that ends up being more of bludgeon than a cutting stroke. There is no glamour or eloquence here, and the loser(s) are treated as little more than carrion.

Scott's moments of "old man yelling at clouds" seem doubly ridiculous following the viewing, as it's clear that the film was never equipped to bring in a large box office haul. (Scott was ranting at Millennials with cell-phone attention spans as the reason his movie failed, but this isn't Braveheart, which is rather a superhero film set as a medieval war epic, but a fairly demanding if well-made film that was released during a pandemic when few films have been successful in the box office that also involves a topic that can be hard for mainsteam viewers to stomach. This was always going to have a limited audience, and with the pandemic even those viewers were likely to wait for streaming.)
I feel like Ridley Scott movies are usually worth watching at least once. Which makes me wonder why I didn't see this yet. I had wanted to see it in theaters initially. I think I just kind of fell into a funk for about two months where I didn't feel like doing much of anything.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watching Aliens Special Edition. It is perfect, with the exception of the scene featuring Newt's family at Hadley's Hope. We know just enough about the alien's life cycle and method of incubation to make the scene superfluous. The scene somewhat saps the tension and dilutes the mystery leading up to the Marines' arrival. Seeing the Weyland Yutani outpost bureaucrats is also pointless and arguably makes us suspicious of Burke's motives earlier than we should, due to their exposition about some company hotshot ordering the search of the derelict spacecraft. Everything else is an improvement.
Totally agree with the underline. It's the only un-useful (and in fact detrimental) scene added/modified for the Special Edition, which otherwise is great, especially with the inclusion of Ripley's backstory including her daughter.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally saw Last Night in Soho.

Very confident directing, camera-work, and film editing. Some really cool, fluid transitions involving one character overlaying/replacing another in these fluid shots. Technically, a pretty decent film and that would be its selling point. Decent performances from the leads as well.

tonally, the film is all over and doesn't seem as sure of itself. Feel-good 60's nostalgia? Horror? Thriller? Many of the characters feel one-note in their presentations. And a bunch of last act reveals confuse the issue over how we're supposed to feel about certain characters and what justice would entail. Sympathies are broken, etc. Still not clear on how to emotionally respond to the plot developments, so if there was an intention meant, it did not convey well. In fact, if you reel it back and try to view it under a genre (rather than dramatic lens), the film seems more like a homage to giallo films rather than some kind of deeper drama.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nightmare Alley. Had no prior knowledge of the 1947 film or the novel when I saw this.

Feels kind of slow on the uptake without a clear indication of where it's going, but it all contributes later to the plotting. Decent acting, some really nice sets and lighting. Cate Blanchett is mesmerizing and costumed well, it's a reminder of why she's considered S tier in her business even when surrounded by A tier cast (which this film has many of). The film ends up feeling inevitable and haunting in outcome, borrowing elements of both the book and the original film as needed. Maybe it's a "feel bad" film but it's also satisfying in ending up right where it needs to go and where the story was set up to lead.

Made a joke about the Kimballs late in the film, then ended up being exactly right and burst out laughing, oh snap!

Weird trivia: Gresham (the book author) was actually the husband of Joy Davidson, who ended up marrying CS Lewis after their divorce and being prominent in the Shadowlands story/film, CS Lewis became the stepfather of his sons.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nightmare Alley. Had no prior knowledge of the 1947 film or the novel when I saw this.

Feels kind of slow on the uptake without a clear indication of where it's going, but it all contributes later to the plotting. Decent acting, some really nice sets and lighting. Cate Blanchett is mesmerizing and costumed well, it's a reminder of why she's considered S tier in her business even when surrounded by A tier cast (which this film has many of). The film ends up feeling inevitable and haunting in outcome, borrowing elements of both the book and the original film as needed. Maybe it's a "feel bad" film but it's also satisfying in ending up right where it needs to go and where the story was set up to lead.

Made a joke about the Kimballs late in the film, then ended up being exactly right and burst out laughing, oh snap!

Weird trivia: Gresham (the book author) was actually the husband of Joy Davidson, who ended up marrying CS Lewis after their divorce and being prominent in the Shadowlands story/film, CS Lewis became the stepfather of his sons.
S Tier is higher than A Tier?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
this originates from Japanese culture. S usually means "superb" and is higher than A. For instance, this is the ranking system used in the manga and anime for One Punch Man to rank the various superheroes in that universe. It threw me off at first.

It's spread to a lot of other mediums such as video games, etc.

I personally prefer to think of A as the top, but S is a special, rare class for a few exceptional individuals in any given field, or if looking at video game or comic characters, it's like the rare class that your Superman or any other OP character slots into. So Hawking would be S tier as far as theoretical physicists are concerned. Daniel Day Lewis is an S tier actor. Station to Station is one of the 2 or 3 Bowie albums that could be granted S tier in his body of work. If Star Wars A NEw Hope was A tier, Empire was S tier. Borg cubes, at the time of TNG, would be S tier, while the Alpha Quadrant's very best ships at the time would only be A tier. And so on
Oh, I watched the original Karate Kid. So Johnny Lawrence has a few moments but he's kind of just your standard 80's teen movie antagonist there. I guess they flesh him out more in Cobra Kai?

Mr Miaygi is definitely a Jedi; he made the movie for me. I just love wise mentor characters like that. And that one scene where he gets drunk and remembers his wife? That one episode of Community was right...

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
S Tier is higher than A Tier?
I am using WoW rankings :D

Edit: thanks to the Doc for providing far more detail than I cared to.

She was in a film with :
  • Bradley Cooper
  • Rooney Mara
  • Toni Collete
  • Richard Jenkins
  • David Strathairn
  • Willem Dafoe
  • Mary Steenburgen
  • Ron Perlman
That's a hell of a cast, and those names are enough to elevate an average (maybe even a subpar) film into watchable territory. But as soon as you see her first two scenes (mainly against Bradley Cooper, who is pretty good), she elevates the film enough to take one's breath away. Damn.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
received_2047134068808285.jpeg

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good thing Sofia Coppola didn't die right after Godfather 3.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched Ghostbusters over the weekend, since my kid hadn't seen it.

Hot take (and honestly, I'm a child of the 70-80's and this came out when I was a teenager, so I do have warm nostalgic feelings towards the film): It's not actually that great.

Yes, it has some great quotable lines, but definitely isn't up in the echelon of films like Caddyshack and Animal House where I think just about every joke lands and is memorable. There's little character development, doesn't have a thorough plot (it seems to get to the end quickly), and is mostly just a stream of semi-funny situations with occasional jokes that land nicely. (We still regularly quote a few in our gaming groups -- "Go get 'im, Ray!" and "When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes" and "There is no Dana, only Zuul" etc)

Bill Murray's also kind of a skeeve and borderline harasser, although in his favor he does refuse to make out with Dana when she's possessed -- I guess that puts him on the level of Mike Pence for standing up against Trump a year after the election? I tend to see films as just reflective of their time period and this would probably be changed if the film had been made today.

I think the idea itself was kind of unique, which is what gave it staying power and public interest, tied to a popular radio song at the right place and time. My kid said it was enjoyable but not clear why it was SO big at the time or treated as sacrosanct nowadays.

I mean, we can debate the merits of the new films and whether they work on their own principles, but it seem like a property whose highest value derives from its nostalgic placement, not necessarily from merit. The idea itself could be used better in a film. I haven't seen the most recent film (from 2021), but it just seem like the 2016 reboot was too close thematically to the original to feel like it was trying to replace it, without being even THAT memorable compared to that one. (which I guess is a real knock against 2016 theatrical release.) But a decent sequel? Sure.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
someone said, "this shit still sells toys and blurays, so let's keep milking it until that demographic is too old or too dead to buy it anymore."

probably the most amusing thing about the state of this franchise today is how they have taken something that was all along irreverent and cynical and turn it into an object to be only revered and protected from scorn. And yet behind the reverence and worship for the original film is a very cold, cynical, uncaring drive for more cash, so I suppose on some level it's all in the spirit of the original film.
Kid was shocked when I said they merchandized the shit out of GB -- even having toys + seven season (?) animated show, rofl.

So yeah all that fits with what you're saying.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
someone said, "this shit still sells toys and blurays, so let's keep milking it until that demographic is too old or too dead to buy it anymore."

probably the most amusing thing about the state of this franchise today is how they have taken something that was all along irreverent and cynical and turn it into an object to be only revered and protected from scorn. And yet behind the reverence and worship for the original film is a very cold, cynical, uncaring drive for more cash, so I suppose on some level it's all in the spirit of the original film.
This hit the nail on the head for me when explaining why I didn't bother with Ghostbusters: Afterlife. All the reviews sounded like I would hate the hell out of this movie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually I agree with this critic about the music to Encanto. I don't get it either. Hamilton was much better musically. I think I found two songs here interesting but can't even remember the melodies (and I didn't like In the Heights either). I don't get why this soundtrack is doing so well, aside from the cultural roots of it (and representation), popular attachment to the composer, and need for something new in these stressful times.

As far as the film itself goes, I have mixed feelings. I appreciate it was something different, and I also appreciate visual representations like Luisa's where Disney didn't stick with their trite character designs. It's also a masterpiece of color in terms of palette, the colors might be the high mark of the film visually; it's just gorgeous in that regard.

I also appreciate the exploration of intergenerational conflict and family expectations. It actually feels more like a "family centered" drama rather than "individual" centered like most Disney films, despite Mirabel's predicament being the focal lens -- they are all under the same constrictions of expectation and rise or fall together. From a high concept point of view, I feel like this was easy to map out on a page -- a one-line description of each character, their position in the family, and their central issue. (this is a great film to write a high-concept treatment of, the difficulty always comes in getting it to work in the details.)

Yet at the same time, i did not really care about many of the characters individually. It's like something that worked on paper but they never totally cracked how to really make it all stand pop. The "crux" of the drama is probably Mirabel's confrontation with her grandmother but it was never clear to me what made the grandmother change because she'd been so resistant in the past. Maybe this just hasn't been my life experience, but it just seemed like it was time to end the film, so a change of heart was required on someone's part. I felt like the restoration of the magic actually weakened the ending a bit as well as Mirabel's contribution to the family, but it seemed more of a Disney ending. I think the only moment I really felt something was when Mirabel's nephew is going to get his gift and he wants her to go with him, while she only is reminded of what happened to her on her day -- it's hard not to feel deeply moved at how good a person Mirabel is when she faces this bravely for the sake of a person she loves who needs her.

Dunno. Like, I appreciate the themes a great deal; the film itself though wasn't as much of an experience for me as I had hoped and I don't feel an urge to rewatch. The first song also was a dizzying jumbled mess of lyrics and motion so that I couldn't track any of it easily, I just wanted it to be over. Some of the later music was better, but like I said earlier, I can't recall any of it. (I actually wasn't a big fan of Frozen or Frozen II either. I like maybe one song from each film. Whatever audience they are tailoring these films to, that audience apparently is not me.)

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally rewatched "The Abyss" last night after some years. I wish Cameron would stop obsessing about Avatar and just complete the bluray / 4K transfer of this film he literally has promised every 3-4 years for the last 15 years or so.

I rate this in Cameron's films right after the Terminator films and Aliens. (Maybe Titanic has some amazing visual effects, but the script is not nearly as good -- and Cameron is basing a lot of his technique in that film from what he learned about filming "The Abyss" in an underwater setting.) This film did pick up the Visual Effects Oscar at the time and was nominated for a few other similar awards.

The ongoing dialogue in this film is among Cameron's best -- the banter, how people talk. Everyone actually feels like a real, complex person and the conversation feels natural, not strained.

It's a scifi film built around a human core (Budd and Linsey).

The performances are really great. I also appreciate seeing Michael Biehn at the time playing a non-typical role in a Cameron film -- and even his character maintains some degree of humanity especially in the scene at the edge of the chasm.

There's a high degree of continuity in the film. (note for example how I think Budd's hand stays blue for the whole film.)

There's a particular scene that has becoming somewhat tropey over the years, but this is the most riveting version of it I've seen in a film and the most believable, with the ending unpredictable. A lot of the success of various plot elements depends on heavy lifting by the cast, especially Harris and Mastrantonio -- they are really great, especially as opposite characters who are in a conflicted relationship.

At the time, the water alien probe thing was top visual effects (although Cameron surpassed it soon after with T2's morphing).

I prefer the Special Edition and am fine with the strong anti-war message. It's funny seeing how some critics harshed on this film so unnecessarily when it came out, a few months before the Berlin Wall fell.

In any case, putting together the film (shooting so much underwater, layering the rest, developing new special effects) is pretty incredible.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rewatched "Strange Days" last night, which I haven't seen for years. Directed by Kathryn Bigelow (first woman to win an Oscar for Best Director, for "The Hurt Locker" some years later), on a script and story generated by James Cameron[with script help by a guy who has worked on a few Scorcese films -- so this wasn't a hack job].

It's a nice thought experiment to guess what this might have looked like if Cameron had directed it, vs how Bigelow handled it -- I feel like Cameron's approach is a bit more high concept and elevated, Bigelow is grittier and more down to earth in her interpretation of stories.

Long story short, the movie is a bit more flawed than I've experienced with at least the first half of Cameron's career, yet for some reason it still resonates with me. I feel like it was a little ahead of its time and I am very happy it's been reappraised over the years and some of the criticism alleviated.

The SQUIDS are like a combo of drugs + today's social media (at one point, Macie is shaking Lenny and telling him living vicariously through the stored experiences isn't real life, his actual LIFE is real life, and he needs to get back to it). There's a huge race conflict in LA that threatens to spring into national war, mainly between black civilians and white male police. Lenny is the protagonist but more of an anti-hero -- or at least a once-hero who has lost himself because he's sedated himself against past pain, and Macie is a black female hero figure (film's moral compass) who is almost a superhero in her physicality, rather than just being a "strong personality" (although she is that as well). A black rapper stirring up social conflicts is shot early in the film -- a year before Tupac got shot IRL. There's a sense that the world is quickly becoming divided and at conflict with itself, and maybe Jan 1 2000 will be the end of the world as they know it. IOW, the film feels even more prescient nowadays than it did back then.

I think the biggest issue with the film is just the plotting -- typically we have a clearer sense of what the characters want, and the plot points generate themselves and we are typically clear about what they want. However, a lot of the plotting here is reactive to the protagonists... the first 30-40 minutes feels almost like character and world building, and then things slowly accumulate that the characters then decide to figure out, but there's red herrings and/or a multiplicity of potential through-lines that have to be explored and made sense of. (Compare to Minority Report, which wisely sets up John Anderton as an accused murderer early in the film, so he has a clear goal of escaping the cops and proving his innocence even if it's not clear what is going on.)

This might be a flaw with Bigelow, I tend to find most of her early films flat in the same way even if I like them on some level -- for example, Near Dark is worth the price of admission alone just for the country bar scene (maybe one of the best scenes that Bill Paxton ever did) but the rest of the film seems to amble and doesn't have much dramatic arc, and her Point Break was mostly boring for me due to the flatness of the plot. [Hurt Locker was definitely an improvement.]

However, there's some really great stuff character-wise. Ralph Fiennes is just tremendous as a grimy Lenny, he's like the used cars salesman of street hustling "drug" dealing, and the film actually fills in enough of his back story that you realize he's actually a good guy at heart who was disillusioned by the system and also lost himself in clip peddling because of tremendous hurts he has suffered himself, just like drugs serve a purpose of numbing pain when someone can't get past it. You also understand why Macie sticks with him and keeps caring for him, because she knows what he's been to her and her family in the past, and he's a good guy who just lost his way -- but it grieves her tremendously that he cannot climb out of the muck, and she spends a lot of her time trying to clean up his shit and laying down the smack on him, desperately wanting him to come back to himself.

This was the first film I think I saw Angela Bassett in and her performance always stuck with me -- it is my baseline for the adjective "fierce." She's so damned good here and because I think the pinnacle to aspire to for this kind of role.

The music is 90's edgy in all the good ways.

I think another reason the movie flopped (aside from however it was promoted) is that it's downright disturbing. there's a few sequences (one in particular) that feels particularly sadistic and despite all the stuff I've seen in my life (including French New Wave Horror of the 2000's) I was uncomfortable watching it, as a woman is sadistically brutalized and with the knowledge that a cap was placed on her so she has to watch her own torture through the eyes of the torturer. Maybe this is why Cameron didn't direct it, because Bigelow's gender inoculated her in some ways to accusations of misogyny. The scene(s) feels awful to watch -- and yet in a way it's so damned honest of Bigelow because this is what film audiences do all the time, we watch stylized violence with terrible things happening to people, but we're kept distant or angled to it in such a way to make it palatable and less disturbing than it should be. Having to watch it here in such a voyeuristic way without any of the regular "buffers" used to protect us during a normal film is really a wake-up call -- there's no apology and no relenting. The scene doesn't feel gratuitous, it's a natural outcropping of the world that was developed previously, but it's such a shock to view, and it's also commenting on the end result of living life vicariously through the SQUID recordings, where experiences just become commodities detached from real life that we can capture (anyone use TikTok or YouTube?) and replay at a moment's notice.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lamb, with Noomi Rapace. Great look and feel to this film, and you will be rewarded for avoiding the trailers and prior descriptions of the film -- it's definitely a "less is more" in terms of appreciating the film. Kind of admirable film in terms of ambiance, with a pretty clean screen (not cluttered with a lot of things). The outdoor shots are very beautiful. I think the film's major problem is that it doesn't hone in enough on the themes to draw them into clear focus, and so the ending doesn't really nail it -- but the setup is great. Another typical A24 "horror" film.

The Lost Daughter. Adapted from book of same name, Maggie Gyllenhaal does tremendous work with the screenplay and the directing. Great performances by Buckley and Colman. The film focuses very much on the ambivalences of motherhood, from a T(hinking) styled female viewpoint even. It was odd, I had to take periodic breaks because it felt slow, but it was also simultaneously engrossing I think simply because of the subject matter that I could identify with (along with Colman's version of Leda). It reminds me of the response I had to "The Hours" (the sequence with Juilianne Moore -- although in that situation I daresay the oppression came more from the cultural roles and social expectations for women in the 1950's, whereas with Leda it was far more personal in dealing with the incessant demands of forceful daughters). There's a kind of opacity (which Colman handles so well) where Leda's motivations are hinted at but still ambiguous; people don't always understand why we do what we do, and in fact ever when we can typically understand it, there's still something inexplicable in there.

I've seen Buckley in a scattering of things, but this is the first film I've seen with her that I really could lock into her performance; she's really great. (I guess trying to make sense of "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" was too much, no actor could compete with the shadow of Kaufman's screenplay.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally watched "Mass" (2021) today. If you can handle the topical matter and pace, it is highly recommended. (It's basically a single room drama between four actors tied together through an unspeakable tragedy.) Writing and directing is paced well and allows for all the necessary amounts of ambiguity and doubt to make this feel real rather than canned, and the four actors (Martha Plimpton, Anne Dowd, Jason Isaacs, and Reed Bierney) are really really great and are also independent and unique rather than generic.

It kind of feels like the definitive experience of all I could think/feel about this kind of thing. I am also so happy with Plimpton, who I probably first saw back in "The Goonies" when I was young (about her age). She's been in a variety of things over the years and I feel like she never got a lot of "top billing" and became a household name like other actresses in her generation but she typically feels at least unique and a regular person in her roles. She's really really good here.

This film went on my "best of" list for 2021.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally watched the original West Side Story (1961?) since HBO Max has it, then started watching Spielberg's 2021 version.

I've known the music and general plot since I was a kid but never watched the film until now. I also hadn't realized it swept 10 Oscar awards... most interestingly the two supporting actor/actress categories. Rita Moreno actually is a standout in the film, she pops and crackles every time she's on-screen, catching attention.

Considering the other movies at the time, I do think it sticks out in terms of art direction, use of color, choreography, directing, etc. It even tries to do some abstracted stuff in the film -- I think the neatest was when Tony and Maria first see each other across the room at the gym, and they basically leap into a fantasy-like moment, where the rest of the world fades away and they just have eyes for each other, with what kind of visual approach was available at the time -- which I think is far more common nowadays but back then I suspect it was just being played with and hadn't really solidified as an approach. The colors also pop and there's an interesting variety of religious symbolism in the stage design.

Robert Wise was so damned prolific, he directed films (successfully) in almost any genre I can think of.

It's weird watching Natalie wood as a Puerto Rican nowadays (when this has become a big thing) as she is obviously American w/ Russian immigrant parents, although I think Breakfast at Tiffany's came out the same year and we know how much worse that whole mess was. She's got some decent moments in the film, although Rita Moreno is who sticks out. Richard Beymer eventually left film acting although he did some TV stuff; he says he hates watching himself in this film and thinks he's terrible in much of his film work, also wanting to be a character actor rather than a star; honestly, there's only a scene or two where he seems false, but I do think his affected manner works for most of the scenes because Tony is a young man being swept away with love and the behavior fits the character. he's got this wonderful smile with beautiful teeth and he's rather endearing.

I like the choreography which tries to emulate violence without actually indulging in it, it's creatively suggestive. I also suspect (from skimming some plot synopses) that a few songs were rearranged for the film vs the actual show (which happens in other adaptations of shows), mainly swapping "Cool" with "Officer Krumpke" and I totally support the film's version tonally.

What's interesting is that the lip sync's were so decent, sometimes you can't tell. But from what I read, despite some of the cast being able to sing, almost everything got dubbed in and/or a few of the cast (Jets/Sharks guys for example) dubbed parts their characters did not have. I don't think Wood sings anything in the film, etc. But you couldn't really tell when watching.

All in all, it was a rather cool thing to experience and worth a watch. Everything was pretty top-notch.

I got up to the dance sequence in Spielberg's version but will wait to comment. It's interesting to see the "modernized" version, which has its pro's and con's.

Last edited: